Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Personally go for shoes with comfort as it's reducing stress on joints!!

Park runs are great for all ages sizes and shapes!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Agree , all about comfort for general training rather than the price tag or the sales pitch .

I would be cautious about super shoes for other than races , the stack height (heel height) coupled with the carbon plate changes foot mechanics considerately ...puts more stress on a bone within foot and also causes more force through Achilles/calf ....they 100% improve performance but I would hesitate to use them in training , despite the increase in speed and decrease in soreness you get from them .

full moon

I'm suffering from shin splints again which is harming my progress the past few months.

Is there any sort runners people recommend, or any other tips to get rid of the shin splints. I bought Asics but they cut my feet had to park them. The shin issue isn't every time but it's enough that it stops me running much more than once a week.

It probably is being a bit overweight and lack of fitness, but it's hard to solve that if the shins won't let me run more!

No1

I've been through every brand of runners over the last 15 years trying to get something to help with continuous achilles/calf problems.  The only ones I didn't try were Hoka because I thought they were too expensive and looked shite.

Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair a year or so ago.  Best trainers I've ever had for running.  They still look shite, they are still expensive and they don't last as long as I'd like but for support they are unrivalled (purely my opinion).  They are also far lighter than they look.  Hoka Clifton 8's are the pair I go for.

I'd agree with you on the weight issue, when I'm carrying excess beef the injury issues are certainly worse!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on February 20, 2023, 02:09:55 PM
I've been through every brand of runners over the last 15 years trying to get something to help with continuous achilles/calf problems.  The only ones I didn't try were Hoka because I thought they were too expensive and looked shite.

Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair a year or so ago.  Best trainers I've ever had for running.  They still look shite, they are still expensive and they don't last as long as I'd like but for support they are unrivalled (purely my opinion).  They are also far lighter than they look.  Hoka Clifton 8's are the pair I go for.

I'd agree with you on the weight issue, when I'm carrying excess beef the injury issues are certainly worse!

Love the Hoka's.. A friend of mine, a big lad, retired and used to play a lot of decent club rugby back in the day, he walks 10 miles a day, he has about 5 pairs of them and puts on a different pair of the same Hoka's every day, swears by them..

I had them for marathon training and never gave any hassels
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Ah no, I've always looked at the hoka's and thought I can't justify paying for these when I regularly seem to hurt my calf running. Now you suggesting that they could help with this has peaked my interest again

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on February 20, 2023, 03:27:25 PM
Ah no, I've always looked at the hoka's and thought I can't justify paying for these when I regularly seem to hurt my calf running. Now you suggesting that they could help with this has peaked my interest again

Think about how much time we spend on our feet, walking or running or just the day to day stuff while at work, getting older is no joke either..

I wear trainers to work and after work, If I'm heading out for a dander at lunch time I put them on. My shoes are just for working hours.

Get cushioned up, you aint going to win these races we enter, and shaving 10 seconds off a run won't save your joints when you are older!!

gerrykeegan

First pair of Hokas purchased this evening. I'll be up and out early in the morning to check them out. I'd have to agree with others that talk about support. I was running in cheapish runners at the start and had niggly injuries. Touch wood I've had Sauconys and Mizuno's and no issues at all.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

square_ball

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 23, 2023, 08:14:27 PM
First pair of Hokas purchased this evening. I'll be up and out early in the morning to check them out. I'd have to agree with others that talk about support. I was running in cheapish runners at the start and had niggly injuries. Touch wood I've had Sauconys and Mizuno's and no issues at all.

Which version did you go for? Give us an update after you go for that run. I've been mulling over buying a pair for a few weeks and don't know whether just to take the plunge. You can't have enough pairs of running shoes right?

trueblue1234

Would you all run in different types of shoes? I tend to stick with the one make. I've a couple of pairs of Asics. Tried to merge a pair of Adidas in but started to get sore soles so ditched them.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 23, 2023, 09:37:35 PM
Would you all run in different types of shoes? I tend to stick with the one make. I've a couple of pairs of Asics. Tried to merge a pair of Adidas in but started to get sore soles so ditched them.
Yeah I've a good few pairs of different brands. Favourites are New Balance and Saucony. The Saucony Endorphin Speeds for example are a great shoe and not that expensive.
Can't have those Hokas at all though, find them heavy and a bit clunky and I think if you want a cushioned runner there are better options out there ,though what suits one might not suit another.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: square_ball on February 23, 2023, 09:31:49 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 23, 2023, 08:14:27 PM

Which version did you go for? Give us an update after you go for that run. I've been mulling over buying a pair for a few weeks and don't know whether just to take the plunge. You can't have enough pairs of running shoes right?
. I went with the Arahi 6. Lovely support with them. Flew along and am very happy with them. Found them very balanced. More like the Saucony hurricanes I had previously. They are 269 grams I felt them light but not as light as the mizuno waves I had.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Onthe40

The new Hoka carbons aren't one bit clunky...I used to be Nike all the way but now find the new Hoka lightweight and a great running shoe..the carbon x2 can be picked up at decent money too
Am tempted to try the Saucony

laoislad

Quote from: Onthe40 on February 24, 2023, 10:13:11 AM
The new Hoka carbons aren't one bit clunky...I used to be Nike all the way but now find the new Hoka lightweight and a great running shoe..the carbon x2 can be picked up at decent money too
Am tempted to try the Saucony
Like I said what suits one might not suit another. I only tried the Clifton to be fair and found it too narrow and very heavy. Haven't bought a Hoka since.
Saucony are great indeed imo anyway!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

The mizuno air wave are the most comfortable running shoe I've ever had.