Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I can't even remember the model of garmin I have but I really don't like it. There are a few ones out there I'd like to buy but it's hard to justify 450 quid odd on a watch. It's not the 255 btw.

Biggest thing that annoys me is that I have a HRM and it will rarely pick up and even when it does it's completely inaccurate. I would like to train by HRM but can't and have tried everything to get that to work.

trueblue1234

Is it a forerunner Tommy? There're usually decent with the HR and running data. Not so much with other sports/ exercise. Maybe one of the earlier models. I had a 245 about 3 years ago and it was good. HR was close enough for a wrist measurement (I hate the chest strap).
You can still pick up the 245 now for just over £150 for the music version. And to be honest, it'll do everything you want unless you're doing triathlons etc.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Actually it's the 245. Spent 30 quid on the hrm separately and may as well have burned my money... Never had this issue with any garmins before though reading about it it doesn't seem uncommon.

It's one of the fenix ones I would like but not sure I want to spend that much on a watch.

No1

Best Garmin I've ever had:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/pn/010-01614-06

Handy for the bike and swimming when you are injured!

A quick search could well turn up a used one that's been refurbished by Garmin for a reasonable price.

Derry 10 miler and Omagh half coming up.  Nowhere near race fit, carrying too much timber!

trueblue1234

When is the Derry 10 miler?

We usually do Bundoran as a warm up for the Omagh half. But gave a miss this year.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Derry is the 11th March. Just looked at Omagh there and it's sold out.

I'm doing that Ballyliffin coastal challenge. I signed up with a few mates - I assumed we were all doing the 10 miler then all the other feckers signed up for the 7 miler!!

That 735 looks interesting - cheers no1.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 15, 2023, 10:22:19 AM
Actually it's the 245. Spent 30 quid on the hrm separately and may as well have burned my money... Never had this issue with any garmins before though reading about it it doesn't seem uncommon.

It's one of the fenix ones I would like but not sure I want to spend that much on a watch.

Have the Fenix 6 over a year now or two can't remember, I've always had the Garmins but this is by far the best, 14 day charge and its a quick charge also, doesn't make me run any faster though!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 15, 2023, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 15, 2023, 10:22:19 AM

Have the Fenix 6 over a year now or two can't remember, I've always had the Garmins but this is by far the best, 14 day charge and its a quick charge also, doesn't make me run any faster though!

That's the big problem I have too. I have the garmin and the nikes or the hokas and whatever other accessory i'm told i need - I automatically thought I'd be running in and around Kipchoge pace but not the case unfortunately!

imtommygunn

"Cheat boots" for the win  ;D

CK_Redhand

I bought a couple of pairs of cheapos from Amazon at £13 each. Great durability as I've done hundreds of km on the first pair already. Some poor wein put then together in a sweatshop but sure its the same with Nike etc. An expensive pair of runners is a placebo at best for non-elites.

imtommygunn

The carbon ones will make a massive difference regardless. Racing shoes with being so light make a difference too.

You'd be best wearing neither in training mind you.

TwoUpTwoDown

Has anyone ran the Mourne Way Half/Full?  I was looking at giving one of them a go in the summer. Never really ran too much off road, would that be a huge hindrance to me? Overall what's the race like?

laoislad

Quote from: CK_Redhand on February 15, 2023, 04:34:58 PM
I bought a couple of pairs of cheapos from Amazon at £13 each. Great durability as I've done hundreds of km on the first pair already. Some poor wein put then together in a sweatshop but sure its the same with Nike etc. An expensive pair of runners is a placebo at best for non-elites.
Not sure I agree. Granted no shoe is gonna turn me into anything resembling a fast runner but there is definitely a difference when wearing them. It's pretty easy measure the difference also if you compare say your heart rate at the same paces when wearing them to not wearing them. Another and an even bigger benefit of the super shoes is recovery, I know with me my legs are a lot fresher the next day if say I use the Nike Next percent in a race or hard training session compared to a bog standard Asics or whatever and when you're training for a Marathon and putting in big miles every week that really helps.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CK_Redhand

Aye perhaps I was a bit over zealous in my earlier comment. Every week I see overweight middle aged men wearing £200 shoes to parkrun. Whatever floats their boat. I'm sure they do have their benefits but for most, an improvement in lifestyle would help considerably more.

jcpen

Quote from: CK_Redhand on February 15, 2023, 08:18:52 PM
Aye perhaps I was a bit over zealous in my earlier comment. Every week I see overweight middle aged men wearing £200 shoes to parkrun. Whatever floats their boat. I'm sure they do have their benefits but for most, an improvement in lifestyle would help considerably more.
Ah sure what harm are they doing, if it gets them out the door and even if it's only just to Park Run then it's worth it in my opinion.
There was a time I'd spend that amount in a pub at a weekend. I've only just got back into running and haven't purchased a super shoe yet but fully intend to for the Dublin Marathon and I am definitely an overweight middle aged man!
lose loose mange