Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I'm increasing revenue through ppv / sky. Free to air gaa coverage through tg4 in Irish and reducing ticket prices and increasing attendances. I don't love sky but at the moment there is duplication and rte have lower quality standards. Anyone with tg4 can see the games.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 24, 2018, 12:37:07 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 03:03:22 PM
I would do a much bigger deal with sky or ppv increasing potential access and revenue give tg4 the magazine programmes clubs and ladies as a product and
Let them develop that.. there could be a strong arguement made that tg4 could cover delayed games in Irish commentary and that mightn't annoy sky too much as well. With more money I would reduce ticket prices to those who go to games so attendances will increase and if they want only give rte the banquet, up for the match and the Marty squad and the odd late late tribute show to the gaa on the consortium that pat kenny hosts it.let's Move on. Get a proper platform of magazine coverage through sky but for sky to flourish rte probably need to be cut out.

Only problem is the 'Product' you are looking at promoting is MUCK!

There has been a media driven campaign to market the games as muck led by rte. There currently aren't enough good games at the minute and not enough competitive games. But there are still plenty of cracking football matches. Even in a poor championship campaign I can think of some great games such as Laois Wexford, Mayo Kildare, Roscommon Armagh, Monaghan Kerry, Galway Kildare. There were also some great underdog stories during the summer such as wins for Carlow over Kildare, Longford over Meath, and Fermanagh over Monaghan. As a Tyrone fan I really enjoyed our games with Meath and Donegal, though I'm not sure the atmosphere really came across on tv. Our first round loss to Monaghan was another very good game.

You could list out a number of very poor games over the summer or one sided matches. But you could do that in any sport. I'd like to see the ratio of good games improve though.

For some reason in the gaa we expect every game to be brilliant and if it's not football is finished, it's a weird mentality. There'll be plenty of great club and underage games played throughout the year including for example the u20 final or Nemo beating Slaughtneil. The national league also had plenty of decent games.

I think part of the negativity stems from the fact that when people's own counties aren't going well the first thing people do is try to criticise the game generally.

Sweeper 123

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 24, 2018, 08:28:01 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 24, 2018, 12:37:07 AM
I would do a much bigger deal with sky or ppv increasing potential access and revenue give tg4 the magazine programmes clubs and ladies as a product and
Let them develop that.. there could be a strong arguement made that tg4 could cover delayed games in Irish commentary and that mightn't annoy sky too much as well. With more money I would reduce ticket prices to those who go to games so attendances will increase and if they want only give rte the banquet, up for the match and the Marty squad and the odd late late tribute show to the gaa on the consortium that pat kenny hosts it.let's Move on. Get a proper platform of magazine coverage through sky but for sky to flourish rte probably need to be cut out.

Only problem is the 'Product' you are looking at promoting is MUCK!

There has been a media driven campaign to market the games as muck led by rte. There currently aren't enough good games at the minute and not enough competitive games. But there are still plenty of cracking football matches. Even in a poor championship campaign I can think of some great games such as Laois Wexford, Mayo Kildare, Roscommon Armagh, Monaghan Kerry, Galway Kildare. There were also some great underdog stories during the summer such as wins for Carlow over Kildare, Longford over Meath, and Fermanagh over Monaghan. As a Tyrone fan I really enjoyed our games with Meath and Donegal, though I'm not sure the atmosphere really came across on tv. Our first round loss to Monaghan was another very good game.

You could list out a number of very poor games over the summer or one sided matches. But you could do that in any sport. I'd like to see the ratio of good games improve though.

For some reason in the gaa we expect every game to be brilliant and if it's not football is finished, it's a weird mentality. There'll be plenty of great club and underage games played throughout the year including for example the u20 final or Nemo beating Slaughtneil. The national league also had plenty of decent games.

I think part of the negativity stems from the fact that when people's own counties aren't going well the first thing people do is try to criticise the game generally.

lol - who you kidding

Applesisapples

Quote from: lenny on August 23, 2018, 09:05:13 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 23, 2018, 06:52:02 PM
Quote from: skeog on August 23, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Sky is a British consortium bit strange it has gael support.

Owned by murdoch. No right minded working class catholic/nationalist should be giving that man a penny. Shame on the tyrone supporters here calling for more games on sky.
None of my business but it Sounds like you boycott them...

I have never given a penny to murdoch either to sky or his newspapers. Any person with working class values should resent giving any money to him or his empire.
I don't have any values, let alone working class values, its Sky all the way... Sure Radio Eireann shaft us Nordies every chance they get. National Broadcaster my arse.

Franko

This belongs in the WTF thread.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 24, 2018, 09:42:34 AM
Quote from: lenny on August 23, 2018, 09:05:13 PM
Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 08:41:03 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 23, 2018, 06:52:02 PM
Quote from: skeog on August 23, 2018, 04:37:07 PM
Sky is a British consortium bit strange it has gael support.

Owned by murdoch. No right minded working class catholic/nationalist should be giving that man a penny. Shame on the tyrone supporters here calling for more games on sky.
None of my business but it Sounds like you boycott them...

I have never given a penny to murdoch either to sky or his newspapers. Any person with working class values should resent giving any money to him or his empire.
I don't have any values, let alone working class values, its Sky all the way... Sure Radio Eireann shaft us Nordies every chance they get. National Broadcaster my arse.
A british broadcaster for a british audience, maybe thats the solution.

RedHand88

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 23, 2018, 10:41:27 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 23, 2018, 10:32:00 PM
Should Tyrone lose, or especially if they win, I'd love to see the Apres Match boys do a "virtual banquet" complete with whissshhhtly Ulsssshhhter accents, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEkjeVzL34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjXUCM9K04

Properly rip the piss out them. RTE might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.

Nooooyyyyy.

If Tyrone win there won't be a person in the county who would give one tiny fcuk what RTE might do. They'd be better leaving it to the normal Sunday Game panel anyway as footage of them trying to make sense of it all would be much funnier than anything the Apres Match lads could come up with.

The thought of this gave me a good laugh.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lenny on August 24, 2018, 11:14:23 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 24, 2018, 07:16:50 PM
PTG's take on it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-you-could-interpret-the-timing-of-rts-statement-this-week-as-trying-to-put-pressure-on-tyrone-37246678.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ffs, more everyone's out to get us. Harte is really gonna milk this paranoia to whip the players into a frenzy.
This is one time when I back Mickey Harte and all of Tyrone by the looks of it, 100%.
The "sketch" wasn't funny  and, even if it was, the timing wasn't coincidental; it was meant to poke fun at a man still trying to come to terms with his recent, terrible loss.
Any self-respecting individual would upset by the by the content and timing of this pathetic attempt to raise a laugh at a bereaved parent's grief.
RTE's failure to make any meaningful attempt to apologise for the uncalled for insult or to reprimand the so-called "comedian" should be remembered also.

They covered themselves more in shit than glory on this one.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RedHand88

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 24, 2018, 11:59:58 PM
PTG's take on it - https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/peter-canavan-you-could-interpret-the-timing-of-rts-statement-this-week-as-trying-to-put-pressure-on-tyrone-37246678.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ffs, more everyone's out to get us. Harte is really gonna milk this paranoia to whip the players into a frenzy.
This is one time when I back Mickey Harte and all of Tyrone by the looks of it, 100%.
The "sketch" wasn't funny  and, even if it was, the timing wasn't coincidental; it was meant to poke fun at a man still trying to come to terms with his recent, terrible loss.
Any self-respecting individual would upset by the by the content and timing of this pathetic attempt to raise a laugh at a bereaved parent's grief.
RTE's failure to make any meaningful attempt to apologise for the uncalled for insult or to reprimand the so-called "comedian" should be remembered also.

Thank you Lar.

From the Bunker

Would totally agree with that! It is real cringe stuff when you listen back. RTE letting it go through on air in the first place beggars belief.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Well said Lar, it really was a shameful little piece of vindictive venom, ill becoming of any institution that has designs on being anything more than a pretty parochial irrelevance in the grander scheme of things.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

grounded

My thinking on this myself. Whatever the rights and wrongs(it was wrong in my opionion) of mh and the other managers sending that letter it was private and should have been treated as such by rte. They leaked it and then used it to poke fun of a man who had just lost his daughter in such tragic circumstances. To compound matters they've refused to gave a meaningful apology to this date.
          I dont know how they could remedy this at this stage.  Id say a good first step would be to publicly say that sketch was crass, insensitive and hurtful and apologise properly to the man.
          Probably too much water has flown under the bridge since then and the Rte top brass wouldnt like to stoop so low. Id say they are just hoping mh will retire soon.