Clash of the Titans - Meath vs Offaly May 12th

Started by thejuice, April 17, 2019, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Three weeks to go till the big one.

Just trying to think when we last met in the championship, must have been back in 2011 (I think) in Portlaoise. Only Mickey Burke still in the team from that year. I remember his being caught out of position and Offaly getting in for a goal. We won anyway but wasn't a great year for us.

This game used to be big enough to be played in Croker but not these days but hopefully our new found optimism will bring out a crowd at home. We really targeted the league and were by some accounts championship fit since January. How that will stand to us in May I'm not sure as there's a lot of county football been played already and club championship already underway. I'd like to think we'd have enough to win this one but we've been poor the last two years and Offaly do like to scupper our plans from time to time (1997 and 2000 stick in the memory).

We play Roscommon in a challenge game on the 28th before then which might be a good test of where we stand.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Stroll down memory lane here. I think I was at all these games certainly the last 4.

Leinster semi 1989
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k8n46ft0jiY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMrAjO-VYco
Meath has some team on paper that day but half of them were on the way out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cD8Y8hodQ
The Malone and Claffey show.

Can't find video of the 2000 or 2011 games.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Plain of the Herbs

It was 2010.
Quote from: thejuice on April 17, 2019, 08:57:48 PM

Just trying to think when we last met in the championship, must have been back in 2011 (I think) in Portlaoise. Only Mickey Burke still in the team from that year. I remember his being caught out of position and Offaly getting in for a goal. We won anyway but wasn't a great year for us.

This game used to be big enough to be played in Croker but not these days but hopefully our new found optimism will bring out a crowd at home. We really targeted the league and were by some accounts championship fit since January. How that will stand to us in May I'm not sure as there's a lot of county football been played already and club championship already underway. I'd like to think we'd have enough to win this one but we've been poor the last two years and Offaly do like to scupper our plans from time to time (1997 and 2000 stick in the memory).

We play Roscommon in a challenge game on the 28th before then which might be a good test of where we stand.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on April 24, 2019, 09:21:50 PM
It was 2010.
Quote from: thejuice on April 17, 2019, 08:57:48 PM

<Yawn>
Doesn't anyone, from either county, give a f**k anymore about their respective teams.
How the mighty have fallen!  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

LooseCannon

I most certainly care. Things are going well so I believe, with a recent win over a division two team in a high scoring game.

thejuice

I certainly care. My caring about this team is not dependent on our success or lack of it. In fact the worse we are the more I end up caring. Seems like my fellow Meath men on this board have vacated this place though I wouldn't suggest that means they are no longer following the team.

Of course that's not to avoid acknowledging the fact that we have fallen behind our neighbours but that's hardly news to anyone. We are improving but it remains to be seen if we can remain on an upward trajectory after the league.

Rossfan

Maybe it's time to remove Dublin from Leinster.
The others would have a grand competition among themselves.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

How would Offaly supporters rate Maughn so far?

LooseCannon

Quote from: thejuice on April 25, 2019, 02:14:22 PM
How would Offaly supporters rate Maughn so far?
To be honest, I wasn't fond of his initial appointment. I thought he was solely there for the money. Ultimately it's a results based business. The results have just not gone our way in a number of matches. However, we did manage to survive, just, like the two years before. But the two years before, we had better teams. Compared to last year, we're short about half of the panel between retirements and non-commitment, such as travel. The lads seem to be happy with training and it's supposed to be hard, so we can't be too disappointed. I'd really love to see the best club footballers in Offaly, who were asked in playing for Offaly under Maughan. Que Sera Sera.

thejuice

Plenty of lads dropped off our panel over the last two years as Andy upped the standards required in terms of fitness and commitment. Plenty of lads walked away, most famously Paddy O'Rourke who was vocal about how it was pointless but we seem to be going in the right direction now in Andy's third year. Takes time for these things to work out.

We play Roscommon today at 3:30 for the reopening of my old clubs pitch in Ardcath. Get down there if you can.

LooseCannon

I heard that we're playing Cavan in the next couple of weeks up there. Have played two challenges in recent weeks, resulting in two wins. This game will be closer than many people think.

Blowitupref

2-14 each in that Meath Roscommon challenge today. The Rossies led by 7 points at half time.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Going by reports on stolen sheep we were 5 up near the end and like the Kildare game conceded 2 soft late goals .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Spoke to someone who was there. Not championship intensity by any means. Our team was a mix of 2nd and 3rd choice players if you could count Graham Reilly among those since he didn't start a league game. Still a good run out and a great occasion for the club.

thejuice

Meath: Marcus Brennan, Darragh McGovern, Shane Glynn, Mickey Burke, Gavin McCoy 0-2, Padraic Harnan, Sean Reilly, Adam Flanagan 0-1, Ethan Devine 0-2, Owen McDonnell 1-0, Sean Tobin 0-3, Jason Scully, Graham Reilly 0-5, Danny Quinn, James Conlon 1-1. Subs: Eoin Lynch, Sean Curran, Robyn Clarke, Ross Ryan.

Roscommon: Darren O'Malley, Gary Patterson, Sean Mullooly, Conor Daly, Brian Stack, Niall Kilroy 0-1, Ronan Daly, Tadgh O'Rourke, Niall Daly, Shane Killoran 0-1, Cathal Cregg, Aengus Lyons, Andrew Glennon 1-2, Enda Smith 0-3, Cathal Heneghan 1-0. Subs: Colm Lavin, David Murray, David Neary, Conor Cox 0-1, Caoileann Fitzmaurice, Donie Smith 0-3, Colin Compton 0-2, Fintan Cregg, John McManus 0-1