The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 11, 2019, 08:03:02 AM
Comfortable enough win which was needed with a big game wednesday.  Agree about Fabinho, he's been excellent since the turn of the year.  Lallana also had a good game despite my thoughts about him beforehand.  Provided energy which the others seem to feed off.
Having watched most of the top six over the weekend, the gulf between the top 2 and the rest is massive.
League tables don't lie as we have often been told....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 12:09:53 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 11, 2019, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 08:03:06 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2019, 11:28:17 PM
Just saw the first city goal on motd2. What was the ref thinking? There was no decision to be made. That could end up costing Liverpool the title.
City may have went on to win anyway,  but they may not have either.That goal changed the game completely,  City's second goal was a direct result of the first been given as Watford were still all over the place from it.
Been a bad week for officials giving goals and penalties that shouldn't have been. The first Burnley goal was another joke of a goal yesterday.

Apart from the fact that it was the correct decision based on the current stupid interpretation of the rules. Sterling doesn't interfere with play (as defined in the rules) until the defender deliberately plays the ball. At that stage the deliberate playing of the ball renders Sterling offside. Don't get me wrong I 100% agree it should be offside all day long I just think by the rules the referee was correct.
Funny then how former referees have said it was offside. Pep admitted it was offside. Sterling himself has said he got lucky, the MoTD panel all agree it was offside and the wrong call was made.
You know better though.

Strange every referee I have seen said it was letter of the law the correct decision. Again I don't want it to have been but I've yet to see or read anyone who by reference to the rule as written and the directive on same has been able to say it was offside.

The FA have this website.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

From that I can't see how Sterling falls into any of the categories for offside. I should add I would far rather have Liverpool win the league than city.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

laoislad

Quote from: David McKeown on March 11, 2019, 01:51:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 12:09:53 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 11, 2019, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 08:03:06 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 10, 2019, 11:28:17 PM
Just saw the first city goal on motd2. What was the ref thinking? There was no decision to be made. That could end up costing Liverpool the title.
City may have went on to win anyway,  but they may not have either.That goal changed the game completely,  City's second goal was a direct result of the first been given as Watford were still all over the place from it.
Been a bad week for officials giving goals and penalties that shouldn't have been. The first Burnley goal was another joke of a goal yesterday.

Apart from the fact that it was the correct decision based on the current stupid interpretation of the rules. Sterling doesn't interfere with play (as defined in the rules) until the defender deliberately plays the ball. At that stage the deliberate playing of the ball renders Sterling offside. Don't get me wrong I 100% agree it should be offside all day long I just think by the rules the referee was correct.
Funny then how former referees have said it was offside. Pep admitted it was offside. Sterling himself has said he got lucky, the MoTD panel all agree it was offside and the wrong call was made.
You know better though.

Strange every referee I have seen said it was letter of the law the correct decision. Again I don't want it to have been but I've yet to see or read anyone who by reference to the rule as written and the directive on same has been able to say it was offside.

The FA have this website.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

From that I can't see how Sterling falls into any of the categories for offside. I should add I would far rather have Liverpool win the league than city.
I couldn't care less who would rather see win the league.
Fact is it was offside, the linesman waved it as such but was bizarrely overruled.
Apparently former Ref Mark Hasley who agrees it was offside isn't  enough for some  so here's another former ref.
Not that it matters now anyway as the goal was given and the game is over. You are entitled to think what you want  I dont agree with you though. That's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Peter Walton believes Raheem Sterling's first goal should not have stood
Manchester City were fortunate to see Raheem Sterling's opening goal against Watford stand as the offside flag was correctly raised and the effort should have been ruled out.

That's the view of former Premier League referee Peter Walton, who explained that the defender's contact was not significant enough to overturn the fact that Sterling was offside when Sergio Aguero touched the ball into his path.

The offside flag was raised by the linesman but the referee overturned the decision after consulting his assistant, which broke the deadlock after Watford's valiant defensive showing.

In the course of the title race, Sterling's first goal could prove to be decisive and Walton ultimately argued that Watford, and City's title-rivals Liverpool , have a case to be aggrieved by the decision.

"In my opinion I don't think Sterling has influenced that defender so should have been signalled offside but clearly the match officials think it's a deliberate play by the defender and therefore has put Sterling onside."

Adding further analysis later on in the coverage, Walton went on to explain why there may have been some confusion in the decision made by the officials.

"Was Sterling in an offside position? Yes he was when the ball was passed to him by Aguero, but you'll see now that Sterling is played on because the defender has played the ball on to him and the law says he is not deemed to have gained an advantage.

"However, there is another part of the law that says Sterling makes an obvious action that impacts the ability of the opponent to play the ball then he is offside.

"In my judgement call I thought Sterling was making an obvious attempt to play the ball and therefore influencing the play, but Paul Tierney and his linesman thought differently and therefore ruled it as a goal."

Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown, on co-commentary duty for the match, then shared his view on the situation and said he was in the same boat as Walton.

"I couldn't agree more. He's only getting back to clear it because of the presence of Sterling. They've got that wrong the referee and his assistant," he added.

Taylor

As a City fan I thought it was offside and I couldnt have complained if it was disallowed.

However, how many 'offside' decisions have Liverpool benefited from in the last few months?

Boycey

The line under the one laoislad highlights sums it up the confusion for me Walton says his is a judgement call and that Tierney's was different. There should be no ambiguity in such situations.

J70

Quote from: Taylor on March 11, 2019, 02:23:54 PM
As a City fan I thought it was offside and I couldnt have complained if it was disallowed.

However, how many 'offside' decisions have Liverpool benefited from in the last few months?

Two I can think of.

West Ham and first goal against Bournemouth was marginal.

laoislad

Not that many.. anyway no one is suggesting teams don't benefit from the odd wrong call over the course of a season every team does at some stage.
The City goal was unusual though as the linesman made the correct call by ruling it offside only to be over turned by the Ref who then made the wrong decision by calling it onside.
Anyway time to move on.

imtommygunn

Yeah back to those 8 bars OTB mentioned. Still no word which ones they were ;D

Taylor

Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 02:43:29 PM

Not that many.. anyway no one is suggesting teams don't benefit from the odd wrong call over the course of a season every team does at some stage.
The City goal was unusual though as the linesman made the correct call by ruling it offside only to be over turned by the Ref who then made the wrong decision by calling it onside.
Anyway time to move on.

Agree - no point in complaining about off sides when all teams benefit at some stage.

Liverpool probably have easier run in although both teams are better than anything else in the PL.

How far either team gets in the CL will be the deciding factor.

I for one would rather the CL this season

J70

Whereas for me anyway, the Champions League would be a mere consolation prize, if you can believe that, at least this far out.

League is all I care about.

But I'm sure that would change if, come late May, there was a final to look forward to.

laoislad

Quote from: Taylor on March 11, 2019, 02:50:26 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 11, 2019, 02:43:29 PM

Anyway time to move on.

Agree - no point in complaining about off sides when all teams benefit at some stage.

Liverpool probably have easier run in although both teams are better than anything else in the PL.

How far either team gets in the CL will be the deciding factor.

I for one would rather the CL this season
I'm not sure Liverpool have an easier run in. The block of games against Spurs,Southampton away and Chelsea isn't an easy run of games.
City though could have a busy run of games if they stay in all competitions. 
Personally the Champions League, while a great tournament and last seasons run to the final was brilliant,it means very little to me this season. If Munich knock us out I won't be distraught. Though I agree with J70, if they somehow got to the final of course you'd want them to win it.
I'd be happy enough to do a deal with the Gods, for City to win CL if it meant Liverpool won the Premier league.

AZOffaly

Never mind a deal with the Gods, do a deal with City :) We'll send out Neil Ruddock, Julian Dicks and Paul Konchesky and tell them to kick Munich all over the pitch and get knocked out while injuring half their team, if City promise to lose a few PL games.

Milltown Row2

City won 3-1. Seriously some gurning about that match..

Liverpool by far an easier run in, Utd will go all out to beat City, that's a given. Liverpool should just look after their own games as that's all they have control over.

Couple of twists and turns left before season is over. Could even come down to goal difference
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rodney trotter

The fixtures are much of muchness, hardly far easier. Liverpool have Spurs to play, Southampton away who have improved, Chelsea, and Wolves who have played well against the top 4.

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 11, 2019, 06:49:55 PM
City won 3-1. Seriously some gurning about that match..

Liverpool by far an easier run in, Utd will go all out to beat City, that's a given. Liverpool should just look after their own games as that's all they have control over.

Couple of twists and turns left before season is over. Could even come down to goal difference

I don't know.

I would expect United fans to be approaching that game with serious mixed feelings, whatever about the team themselves.

Sort of like Liverpool against Blackburn on that last day in 1995. We all went "oh shit!" when Redknapp fired that 25 yard freekick into the top corner in the last minute for the Liverpool winner.

Fortunately, Andy Cole ran into that big West Ham keeper having the game of his life, and United blew their end of the deal.