AIQF Tyrone v ?

Started by ONeill, July 22, 2009, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comethekingdom

[/quote]

very harsh on PJ who was outstanding against Derry and Armagh
I dont think Stephen O' Neill can be dropped he is the best forward in Ireland and his last display at Croke Park v Dublin
was awesome.
[/quote]

a little biased there I'm afraid!

ONeill

I'd completely disagree regarding O'Neill's man marking. I think that's his weak point and that he makes the other defenders more wary of staying back...from what I've seen anyway. Great attacking half back but a little naive. Harte much more aware of his duties if not quite a Conor Gormley.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

chatchampionship

Quote from: comethekingdom on July 22, 2009, 09:18:59 PM

I dont think Stephen O' Neill can be dropped he is the best forward in Ireland and his last display at Croke Park v Dublin
was awesome.
[/quote]

[/quote]

not biased
he is the best in Ireland and will prove it before the summer is over

tyssam5

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 22, 2009, 08:42:29 PM
Everyone seems to be in agreement that if Enda slots back in Penfold has to the man to make way. I'd say it could be any one of these three, Mugsy, Tommy or Penfold. Is the Ardboe man essential for free kicks with the right boot? Does Mugsy get the nod for past glories? I seem to be the only poster who appreciates what the Aghyaran man brings to the table. I think PJ will retain his jersey.

Penrose can start very well, e.g. AI final last year, but I thinkn tend s to fade out of games to an extent. If he can't keep it going for 70 mins, maybe a spell as a sub coming in for 20mins to liven things up would be an option?

comethekingdom

Quote from: chatchampionship on July 22, 2009, 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on July 22, 2009, 09:18:59 PM

was awesome.

[/quote]
not biased he is the best in Ireland and will prove it before the summer is over

How is he? He played shite agin Antrim. There's piles of v good fwds in Ireland and SON is definetly one of them but not the best in Ireland.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ONeill on July 22, 2009, 09:36:32 PM
I'd completely disagree regarding O'Neill's man marking. I think that's his weak point and that he makes the other defenders more wary of staying back...from what I've seen anyway. Great attacking half back but a little naive. Harte much more aware of his duties if not quite a Conor Gormley.

From what I've seen of O'Neill this year in league and championship he has looked brilliant going forward. Down in Westmeath he also looked like a decent defender. But its early days and suppose wont know just how good is to we see a bit more of him in big games. Harte is good going forward and never stops making runs,provides an outlet for the man in possession. Always looks good cause he gets on end of scores. Still dont think he is great going back and often relies on other players to cover him. Overall would have no complaints about him starting but think O'Neill could provide serious competition.

loughshore lad

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 22, 2009, 08:51:27 PM
I wish Brian McGuigan had got more time on Sunday. If fit and back to anywhere near his best he would be an automatic starter. O'Neill and Mugsy would benefit from his passing. Depending on his form I would pick him ahead of Tommy, maybe the Ardboe posters who have watched them play more feel differently?

I don't think I would have Brian ahead of Tommy at this point.  Tommy has been exceptional for Ardboe this season.  As I posted here on sunday night I though he was harshly called ashore on sunday, he scored 3 points and set up another 3.  Brian has been playing very well of late as well and I also thought he would have got more time on sunday but perhaps Mickey is trying to squeeze that wee bit more out of him, he is going to be vital coming into the business end of things.

Not so sure I agree entirely O'Neill.  Having saw Sean O'Neill a few times for Dromore I have got the impression this guy is the real deal, obviously he is extremely strong from an attacking perspective but from what I have saw he is no slouch defensively either.  They have a big word for him round St Mary's as well and he has played full back for them indicating his defensive ability is good as well.  If anything I reckon he could replace Jordan before Harte in the long run.

The Tyrone wing backs are helped immensely by Dooher, Joe and to a lesser extent Hub.  The cover they give to the wing backs is fabulous.

redhandluke

Strange nobody has mentioned SON's performances to date - very poor IMHO.
MH has given him three chances, and although he has laid on a few chances, MH has him there primarily to score - for which he has failed miserably
Would be surprised if he starts in the QF, with Penfold taking his place.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: redhandluke on July 23, 2009, 01:09:32 AM
Strange nobody has mentioned SON's performances to date - very poor IMHO.
MH has given him three chances, and although he has laid on a few chances, MH has him there primarily to score - for which he has failed miserably
Would be surprised if he starts in the QF, with Penfold taking his place.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't start!! Shows you the standard Stevie's set when you get comments like above. Just because he doesn't score massively every game then people are calling for him not to start. Sean Cavanagh was what people call "quiet" the last two games and Harte's response to Thomas Kane was that he had bailed out Tyrone often in the past and no doubt would do so again in the future. Ditto for Stephen O'Neill.

Harte has named an unchanged team (if possible) for the last three games. I expect him to do the same, subject to injuries.

Zapatista

Quote from: chatchampionship on July 22, 2009, 05:47:57 PM

was awesome.

I don't think he will be dropped either but he isn't the 'best forward in Ireland' at the minute. We should take the advice we have been giving to Down and Armagh and not be living on past glory.

Spillane said last week that the 3 best forwards in the country are Gooch, Cavanagh & O'Neill. I disagree, Bernard Brogan has been better than all 3 of them this year. That could change though.

Final Whistle

Quote from: loughshore lad on July 22, 2009, 10:27:11 PM
I wish Brian McGuigan had got more time on Sunday. If fit and back to anywhere near his best he would be an automatic starter. O'Neill and Mugsy would benefit from his passing. Depending on his form I would pick him ahead of Tommy, maybe the Ardboe posters who have watched them play more feel differently?

I don't think I would have Brian ahead of Tommy at this point.  Tommy has been exceptional for Ardboe this season.  As I posted here on sunday night I though he was harshly called ashore on sunday, he scored 3 points and set up another 3.  Brian has been playing very well of late as well and I also thought he would have got more time on sunday but perhaps Mickey is trying to squeeze that wee bit more out of him, he is going to be vital coming into the business end of things.

Not so sure I agree entirely O'Neill.  Having saw Sean O'Neill a few times for Dromore I have got the impression this guy is the real deal, obviously he is extremely strong from an attacking perspective but from what I have saw he is no slouch defensively either.  They have a big word for him round St Mary's as well and he has played full back for them indicating his defensive ability is good as well.  If anything I reckon he could replace Jordan before Harte in the long run.

The Tyrone wing backs are helped immensely by Dooher, Joe and to a lesser extent Hub.  The cover they give to the wing backs is fabulous.

Id have to disagree, Jordan is the heartbeat  of the team. Note the breaks he makes from his own 45 to the opposition 45 turning a 10 v 8 to a 8 v 6, setting up attack after attack. Id love to see the posession stats. Jordan the unrecogonised playmaker in the team.

Saying that O'Neill looks like the perfect replacement with great feet and a dead ball expertise. a real talent.

Question-when was the last time Jordan missed a inter county championship game and can anyone answer what other number has Jordan ever worn?

nrico2006

QuoteSpillane said last week that the 3 best forwards in the country are Gooch, Cavanagh & O'Neill. I disagree, Bernard Brogan has been better than all 3 of them this year. That could change though.

Maybe, but form is temporary and class is permanent.  I agree with Spillane simply due to the fact that when the aforementioned 3 are on form they are the best.  How valuable is Penrose?  He wins a serious amount of ball that he recycles to a player in a scoring position and he does this quite abit in matches.  It probably seems easy as he is always out in front but this is something that not every player can bring to the table.  His pace means that he is always a yard or two ahead of the defender hence his high success rate at winning possession.  I think Mulligan has been very efficient without and has been getting through a good bit of work in each game.  He is playing in a different role than what we are used to and some of his passes on Sunday were top drawer.  Anytime he was presented with a scoring chance he took it aswell.  Ideally I would love to see him back in the FF line where he would be more dangerous.  I don't think Tyrone need to beat Meath, but it would be good to beat them.  At this stage all the teams left seem very capable of beating each other on any given day, I just hope that the apparent lack of a real battle so far wont hinder the team come the next game a la 2007.  
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mr. Nakata

I suppose it's horses for coarses. When Tyrone were getting pinned back against Armagh Sean O'Neill came on and never ventured past the half way line. His job was to steady the ship. Against Derry he came on, burst up the field and scored a peach of a point, but the game was a procession at that stage. I think he'll be in there soon. Jordan for me is future captain material. Consistently brilliant.

qz

Quote from: Final Whistle on July 23, 2009, 08:42:41 AM
Quote from: loughshore lad on July 22, 2009, 10:27:11 PM

Id have to disagree, Jordan is the heartbeat  of the team. Note the breaks he makes from his own 45 to the opposition 45 turning a 10 v 8 to a 8 v 6, setting up attack after attack. Id love to see the posession stats. Jordan the unrecogonised playmaker in the team.

Saying that O'Neill looks like the perfect replacement with great feet and a dead ball expertise. a real talent.

Question-when was the last time Jordan missed a inter county championship game and can anyone answer what other number has Jordan ever worn?

I reckon Jordan won the #7 shirt from Declan mcCrossan in the last group game of the 2002 NFL v Mayo which was his first start for Tyrone . He played #7 in the subsequent NFL final victory v Cavan.  In the next game,first round of the 2002 ulster championship v Armgh in the drawn game he didnt start (may have been injured?). However he played #7 in the lost replay & has played left half back in every championship game since.

Fuzzman

Interesting that you think Tommy is ahead of Brian at the moment as I was wondering how Brian's return was progressing & why him or McCullagh aren't starting this year. Is it true he still has poor side vision so it's easier to disposs him now?

Being from SoN's club I'm totally 'biased' but I think he's been very quiet this year bar that excellent catch & goal v Armagh
He's not a patch on the player we saw in Croker back in February shooting from mad angles but I think there might be a good reason for that.
As we know Mickey is a master tactician and every year he knows teams will find ways to combat how they play, so at the start of this year everyone was looking at our FF line of Mugsy, Sean & SoN and thinking wow that could be awesome.

Fact is it has been poor enough in score taking & I reckon its cos more and more teams are using a sweeper or double markers like Tyrone did with Paddy Bradley. They can almost make your star players look invisible.
I reckon we now have a decoy FF line to date and its main purpose is to win ball out in front of their men like Penrose & Stevie have been doing and laying it off to the runners coming through like Sean's goal last Sunday.
I'd like to see stats on how many of the scores from play we've got are from half forwards & midfielders or defenders. I'd say quite a lot.

I think Penrose is better than Mugsy at winning ball in the FF line cos Mugsy can be slow running onto a pass and doesn't seem to make good runs into space to win the ball clean. He always seems to have a defender hanging out of him ala Francie.
I think he'll benefit from the roving roll if he continues to play it but I'd say from here on it they'll be pressure from McCullagh, Brian & even Mellon.

There's no doubt we've got a much stronger fitter panel this year than for the last 6 years & dare I say it options at MF.
Added to that the two McMahons have added a lot to the team & I must say I'm delighted to see how Joey has risen his game again as I doubted for some time he was too lazy to put in the hard graft. I'd just love to see Justy moved out the field further but sure maybe he'll be a decoy FB and actually rove up the field.

Sean O'Neill must be a dilemma for Harte alright as he's shown great performances this year but then again he hasn't really been tested too much and its probably a lot easier to play in the team now than when we were struggling a few years ago.

Everyone is a little nervous about the next match & will we be caught cold against a team that has been flying in the qualifiers. Of course its possible but I just think Tyrone are now like a well oiled machine and Mickey controls them with his dual joysticks depending on what he wants them to do. Everyone's level of performance is quite high now and so it has become much more about tactics & the SYSTEM.

I think the hardest thing for a manager to work out how to beat Tyrone is to work out what are their strengths and what way will they play this week. They certainly haven't been depending on big Sean & SoN to date & still our half back line continues to push forward and get scores.
I'm hopeful of a Tyrone v Dublin final and a reversal of 2005 when Everton won the FA cup.