The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

Mossy you might be interested to know that New York won the football version of the competition a couple of years ago. You can see here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/trip-of-a-lifetime-ends-in-glory-for-phenomenal-new-york-bunch-453863.html

burdizzo

Quote from: clonadmad on April 07, 2019, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 08:17:44 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on April 07, 2019, 06:48:28 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on April 07, 2019, 10:06:10 AM
I'd say it was a lack of interest, rather than an 'inability'. They've also dropped down to the 'B' at u13 level, along with Ballacolla and Camross. Makes you wonder. I believe Castletown wanted to drop back, too, but weren't allowed - despite the split w/ Slieve Bloom. So, that leaves only a 5 teams in the 'A' at u13, and 11 in the 'B'.

U13 B Hurling result from this past week

Portarlington 4-10 Portloaise 1-01

Portlaoise minors are also propping up the Minor B league after losing to Ratheniska by 13 points and Mountrath by 9

No one is deriving any pleasure from this,Laois hurling needs a vibrant Portlaoise

Yes, you're absolutely right - Laois hurling does need a strong Portlaoise. However, I would be flabbergasted if the above result wasn't Portlaoise 4-10 to Portarlington 1-1, and that is was entered on the website the wrong way 'round by mistake. Portarlington and St. Paul's combined had a strong team last year at u13 (won the 'B' championship, in fact), but St. Paul's split away this year at u13, and Port. barely have enough for a team. They are working very hard over there to keep it going, but still, I think a result like that is a bit beyond them. Could be wrong, BUT... I doubt it.

Even if that was the case and I've spoken to a guy who said that was the scoreline

It doesn't excuse their non participation in the Feile and their performances in the minor B league

Was he at the match, or did he just get it off the website?
But, yes, there's no way they should be in the 'B' - at any grade.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Giovanni on April 07, 2019, 10:19:24 PM
Mossy you might be interested to know that New York won the football version of the competition a couple of years ago. You can see here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/trip-of-a-lifetime-ends-in-glory-for-phenomenal-new-york-bunch-453863.html
What an amazing story! (I'm sorry to hear they had to go back there and beat a Laois club, though.)
Thanks for this story, Giovanni.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on April 07, 2019, 10:19:24 PM
Two sides with big catchment areas there.

Ogie

A side note to the on field action,
Disappointing to see Andrew Kavangh resigning from his position as Laois GDA. Will be a huge loss in the hurling areas, best wishes to him for the future
Hopefully a good Hurling orientated replacement will be brought in.

Don Draper

A good fella Andrew, he'll be missed.

clonadmad

Sad to see Andrew leave

He was professional to his fingertips in the role.

Laois have 5 GDA's but due to turnover of staff,we have never had 5 in place.

I believe the role Colm Begley left has been filled,it will be a dual GDA.

Zooming around

That's shocking news. Andrew was a lovely fella to deal with. We had him out a few times and he gave a very good session to both the players and the coaches. There has to be something radically wrong with Laois GAA setup if lads are leaving like that. It seems like a poisonous place to work with no staff morale. Not surprising given some of the characters who've been in power in recent years. Andrew loved his job and now he's gone. What's he going to do?

clonadmad

Well done to the Harps on winning the Minor A this evening.This was their second year facing an marriage of convenience  amalgamation and fair play to them,they won by 8 points.

clonadmad

The Harps also won the u13A and u11A County titles

They are making some progress at underage

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on October 05, 2019, 07:47:24 PM
Well done to the Harps on winning the Minor A this evening.This was their second year facing an marriage of convenience  amalgamation and fair play to them,they won by 8 points.

100% agree. Abbeyleix will be left to stew on their decision to bolster their squad!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 05, 2019, 08:42:32 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 05, 2019, 07:47:24 PM

100% agree. Abbeyleix will be left to stew on their decision to bolster their squad!
Why, did it make them weaker?

Keyser Söze

I wouldn't think so Don, would you?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

The Harps have really gotten their house in order.
Good people involved, great numbers coming through, huge investment into their coaching in both primary schools and they're remaining committed to both football and hurling at juvenile level.

A bright future ahead.

Delighted for them.

Don Draper