The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Quote from: clonadmad on January 21, 2019, 06:05:29 PM
In relation to Tipp

I've been told by a teacher

It's 4 Cumann na mBun School Squads,1 in each of the divisions

Schools send in only 1 player (unlike Laois where there's no limit)

They train for 6/8 weeks and play games in that period also

Tipp would have 2 teams at u14/15 level

Fair enough.
Thanks for the info.

Zooming around

the42.ie/4465962

Tipperary launch a commercial board to help raise funds for the running of the county HURLING team. When Cheddar had a plan for Laois hurling it was knocked because it didn't include football.

Now I know one is commercial and the other coaching but are we the only ones who can't back an exclusive plan or is it simply because football runs Laois?

burdizzo

Imagine what would have happened for an equivalent football plan, and you have your answer.

finbar o tool

Anyone ever see, or get their hands on, a copy of the plan purposed by cheddar??
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Don Draper

Quote from: finbar o tool on January 31, 2019, 10:43:56 PM
Anyone ever see, or get their hands on, a copy of the plan purposed by cheddar??
I'm still waiting for you to return my copy

finbar o tool

Quote from: Don Draper on February 01, 2019, 12:36:45 AM

Ok 🤔

This plan has been referenced here many times, and i am sure it was good, but, no one actually seems to know what it was or if it even exists!!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Zooming around

I'd love to see it too. Can somebody who has it please post it up.

les Antiques

Just reading Cheddar has taken over the reins at James Stephen s along with another good Laois man  Seamus Dwyer . These are the people the county board  need involved in the continued development of Laois hurling. But alas we know better .
Best of luck to the lads in Kilkenny I'm sure they'll do a right job there .

Don Draper

Quote from: finbar o tool on February 01, 2019, 03:25:20 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 01, 2019, 12:36:45 AM

Ok 🤔

This plan has been referenced here many times, and i am sure it was good, but, no one actually seems to know what it was or if it even exists!!
It exists as you well know.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 11:42:09 AM
Just reading Cheddar has taken over the reins at James Stephen s along with another good Laois man  Seamus Dwyer . These are the people the county board  need involved in the continued development of Laois hurling. But alas we know better .

Spot on. Cheddar should be well paid and facilitated by Laois GAA to run underage hurling development. I would happily put my hand in my own pocket to help as would most other hurling people in Laois. So, who exactly is in charge of hurling development in Laois?

clonadmad

Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 11:42:09 AM

Laois can ill afford coaches of Cheddars quality coming to the likes of KK.

Yet another example of the drift and apathy that pervades this county but particularly at county board level

redsetanta

again it's up to the clubs to push for it and the club members to put pressure on delegates. A hurling supporters club with finance behind it might be a way to get the CB to listen. Niall Quinn doin the same with grassroots football.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

I think Clonadmad hits the nail right on the head in his second paragraph of his last statement .

There was 4 maybe 5 lads sitting in the stand Saturday night that potentially would be given starters on this current  Laois team but for individual reasons have decided inter county hurling isn't for them presently . This has to be respected .

It makes you think though . It definitely effects a county our size more . I don't recall this level of apathy in the 80s following laois hurling.  Club level was fierce but they all togged out for the county . But then again I realise times and society have changed but still think something has gone astray here in Laois.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 03:58:03 PM
I think Clonadmad hits the nail right on the head in his second paragraph of his last statement .

There was 4 maybe 5 lads sitting in the stand Saturday night that potentially would be given starters on this current  Laois team but for individual reasons have decided inter county hurling isn't for them presently . This has to be respected .

It makes you think though . It definitely effects a county our size more . I don't recall this level of apathy in the 80s following laois hurling.  Club level was fierce but they all togged out for the county . But then again I realise times and society have changed but still think something has gone astray here in Laois.

I think maybe you are not of an age to remember then! There was always 3-4 county standard lads that would walk onto the team but only went in with the county for short periods or not at all. You are right though. We can't afford it. The apathy was less understandable back then than it is now as the commitment levels are orders of magnitude higher these days. Not helped by inter-county hurling for counties like ours being turned into a winter sport by the GAA.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 21, 2019, 05:50:41 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on February 21, 2019, 03:58:03 PM

I think maybe you are not of an age to remember then! There was always 3-4 county standard lads that would walk onto the team but only went in with the county for short periods or not at all. You are right though. We can't afford it. The apathy was less understandable back then than it is now as the commitment levels are orders of magnitude higher these days. Not helped by inter-county hurling for counties like ours being turned into a winter sport by the GAA.

I don't remember too many like that?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......