Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

gerry

Toddler buys real digger online

Pipi's parents nearly had to dig deep

A New Zealand couple nearly found themselves in a financial hole when their three-year-old daughter bought an earthdigger in an internet auction.

The child, Pipi Quinlan, was trying out her online skills while her parents were asleep in bed.

They only unearthed the truth when they received an email demand for NZ$20,000 (£8,000) from the seller.

Pipi's mother, Sarah, had left the computer logged on. The owner of the digger is not insisting on the sale.

Shock

Sarah Quinlan told the BBC that she had been looking for toys online, and using an automatic log-in to an auction site.

But a shock was in store when she got up the next day.

"When I found an email from a guy who said 'can you deposit the money?' I thought - hang on - this isn't quite what I expected," she said.

Pipi had only been allowed to use the computer for the first time the week before - but is obviously a fast learner.

"It's been a lot of fun," said Sarah, "She's earned a bit of notoriety."

But Sarah is determined the same thing will not happen again, and has urged the parents of other young children not to be caught out.

"I've taken all my automatic log-ins off anything she could purchase from," she said.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Square Ball

China bridge jumper 'gets a push' 

A man threatening to commit suicide by jumping from a Chinese bridge was approached by a passer-by who shoved him over the edge, local media say.

Lai Jiansheng, 66, said he was fed up with the desperate man's "selfish activity" which caused huge traffic jams in Guangzhou, southern China.

Chen Fuchao fell 26ft (8m) on to an air cushion and is recovering in hospital, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Xinhua said Mr Lai was "taken away by police", but gave no further details.

The drama unfolded when Mr Chen climbed on to Haizhu Bridge in Guangzhou on Thursday and threatened to jump.

'Debt worries'

He told police he wanted to kill himself because he was 2m yuan ($293,000 or £184,000) in debt following a failed construction project, the China Daily reported.

Traffic around the bridge was stopped for five hours while officers tried to coax Mr Chen to safety.

Retired soldier Mr Lai at first volunteered to try to talk Mr Chen down but was turned away by police, Xinhua said.

Mr Lai is said to have then broken through the police cordon, climbed to where Mr Chen sat, greeted him with a handshake - and then pushed him off the edge.

Pictures in the China Daily show him saluting to the crowd after Mr Chen fell on to the partially filled emergency air cushion.

"I pushed him off because jumpers like Chen are very selfish," the newspaper quoted Mr Lai as saying.

"Their action violates a lot of public interests. They do not really dare to kill themselves. Instead, they just want to raise the relevant government authorities' attention to their appeals."

Mr Chen is said to have suffered spine and elbow injuries and is recovering in a Guangzhou hospital.

The bridge has gained a macabre reputation, attracting at least 12 would-be suicide jumpers since the start of April, according to the China Daily report.

None of the 12 has jumped, although each has held up traffic for several hours, it said.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2009, 11:19:15 PM
TG4 now!!

Barraíocht is right.
You are sick, there was no need to draw any of our attentions to yon
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

gerrykeegan

there should be a new rule banning anyone who draws attention to programmes that make you sick. Ban hardstation now.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ziggysego

What about the old man that finds it a turn on....
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ziggysego on May 26, 2009, 11:31:57 PM
What about the old man that finds it a turn on....

I thought that was you....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

You see that man talking about his Mexican house keeper and wanting to move to Iran... the hairy woman mecca as he calls it? He didn't go in the end, as he was afraid of being hung up by this thumbs  :D
Testing Accessibility