Laois Team Selected For 2007 Leinster Hurling Final

Started by Bud Wiser, December 15, 2006, 11:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Great first post greatgame, with more like that you'll be a welcome addition around here. I think every hurling fan would like to see Laois get to the level where they're able to give the cats a scare, the same goes for all the so called weak hurling counties.

Josey Whales

Good to see- but with the intensity of that training - they will hit the wall come june- if they are still involved. It's a good idea and hopfully it will pay dividends for them -just that there is no way they will be able to keep that up. They aren't professional athletes- who don't even train to those levels- i'd question the sanity of those who set it out.

TheGreatGame

Quote from: Josey Whales on December 16, 2006, 07:34:12 PM
Good to see- but with the intensity of that training - they will hit the wall come june- if they are still involved. It's a good idea and hopfully it will pay dividends for them -just that there is no way they will be able to keep that up. They aren't professional athletes- who don't even train to those levels- i'd question the sanity of those who set it out.

Josey, after talking to a current pannelist my understanding is that the tough physical training 5 nights a week will only continue for maybe another month, two at the most, and then they will be back to 3 nights a week doing drills, matches etc.
I must confess that I too had my worries when I heard about the schedule, but apparently the players are embracing it.  Hopefully the extra levels of fitness could help produce a productive Walsh Cup or win the div.2 League.  After only 1 competitive win last year, Laois shouldn't look any further than that for the moment.

tayto

Ah, that makes more sense. It will be interesting to see how they progress.

tayto

Actually as a matter of interest what is the feeling in Laois about the work Paudie Butler did there? I heard at the time that the feeling was positive, but did he leave coaching structures - systems in place that should see an improvement in laois hurling in the future? I hope so, obviously, as he's taken on quite a job now as the national hurling manager.

Billys Boots

QuoteIi'm just giving my very valid options you seem to get very disagreible when someone disagrees with you bud .

Read all about it.  Cat calls dog hairy!   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

TheGreatGame

Quote from: tayto on December 18, 2006, 11:06:38 AM
Actually as a matter of interest what is the feeling in Laois about the work Paudie Butler did there? I heard at the time that the feeling was positive, but did he leave coaching structures - systems in place that should see an improvement in laois hurling in the future? I hope so, obviously, as he's taken on quite a job now as the national hurling manager.

The view is fairly varied on Butler, tayto.  On one hand he gained and maintained Div.1 status and seemed to make the hurlers fairly competitive in the league with a few big wins, including beating Galway by 9 points and relegating Offaly.  On the other hand his managerial skills have been questioned.  For example, when Laois played Wexford in the Leinster semi-final in 2004, their instructions from Butler were to rain high ball down on the Wexford full back line which was made up of Keith Rossiter, Darragh Ryan and DOC.....despite a great start Laois never had a fighting chance due to this crazy strategy. 

He is undoubtedly a brilliant coach, probably one of the best in Ireland I would think.  I've seen him working with u16's, and it is incredible how quickly he can bring hurlers on.  I'd have every confidence that he will do a great job in his new role as national hurling manager.  His love for the game and drive to see it nurtured is infectious.

Regarding structures, the "Setanta" programme, the brainchild of former Laois All-Star Pat Critchley is a fantastic initiative which would warm the heart of any long suffering Laois hurling follower. Basically groups of between 60 and 80 young hurlers from u10 and upward are trained together throughout the year by coaches who have a passion for Laois hurling. I've a younger brother participating and have attended a few sessions and it is fantastic to see. The emphasis is on fun, participation, sportsmanship and to develop a pride in playing for Laois which is perhaps the biggest ingredient missing in many of our players from minor upwards. Crucially, attendance didn't plummet after the first few months, in other words it is not just the novelty factor keeping them going. These kids are really enjoying it. Also, while initially planned for the summer months while the kids are on holidays from school, the programme is continuing throughout the winter months in indoor locations. An indication, perhaps, that both players and mentors are there for the long haul.

Bud Wiser

I'm back!

"To be fair to Gnevin, going by the last few years Laois hurling would appear to be in dire straights."

The Great Game..... I did apologise to gnevin. The roof came in on me, the whole office and me were flooded and I was like a lunatic here. 

With regard to the initial training schedule I'd say there were a few mind games being played by way of seeing who was prepared to give it the full lash and thankfully the lads have responded.  Leinster needs Laois hurling more than Laois need to commit to this and it is a huge chunk of time out of any young lads social life so if per chance any of them peek in here to this forum let it be known that their coimmitment along with the trainers is acknowledged by all of us.

As for Pat Critchley, I have been a great admirer of Pat down through the years and Laois owe him a lot of thanks.  His Setanta idea could be the answer to the conveyer belt out of St Kierans that provides the Cats with their young lads and I have to say I am a little excited about this whole development.

tayto

thanks for the low down GG, i'd be more interested in the coaching structures that he put in place rather then his managerial ability. I've yet to hear a bad word about his coaching sessions, I would really like to know his overall plan for promoting hurling, saw a piece on him at the weekend and he seemed positive about the state of the game which is refreshing.

Well lads let hope someone comes up with a system to give the cats a game, Leinster hurling needs challengers badly, even Kilkenny fans would like to see someone give them a game. Wexford seem to be working on it as well, Dublin's underage setup is well documented. What are Offaly doing? Too quiet over ther for my liking!

Gnevin

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 18, 2006, 11:42:20 AM
QuoteIi'm just giving my very valid options you seem to get very disagreible when someone disagrees with you bud .

Read all about it.  Cat calls dog hairy!   ::)
Care too explain Mr Boots?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

QuoteWhat are Offaly doing? Too quiet over ther for my liking!

We're doing nothing. Nothing at all. Move along. Nothing to see here.

tayto

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 19, 2006, 01:57:53 PM
QuoteWhat are Offaly doing? Too quiet over ther for my liking!

We're doing nothing. Nothing at all. Move along. Nothing to see here.

;D ;D ;D

I know you don't have as far to improve as some of us but are there any initiatives going on your way or just business as usual? development squads set-up?

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

G@@

Laois will be playing against Dublin in Rathdowney later today (Saturday January 27th).

They accounted for An DĂșn fairly comfortably last weekend at the same venue with a 2-15 to 1-09 win.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!