Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Crete Boom on August 15, 2019, 05:03:05 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 15, 2019, 04:49:02 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 15, 2019, 02:46:36 PM
People pay far too much attention to him.

Some Tyronie on recent thread said (in the context of Stephen O'Brien's black card) that there was a national tirade when Cavanaugh took down McManus that time.

There was no national tirade. Joe had a meltdown. All you should do is laugh at him. Every other person who knows anything about GAA said they would have done exactly the same thing! Only Joe was outraged. Let him be outraged, but don't turn it into a national copycat event!

There are differing opinions on Holmes-Connelly. Not all, but the majority of the Mayo lads thought it was right for them to go, and that they'd got the job in the first place in dubious circumstances. So as a neutral I'd go with that, rather than any nonsense Joe spurts.

They do and i do find it slightly humorous that some still don't realise that Joe the pundit on RTE or the columnist on the Indo is a long running gimmick.  Mayo are easy prey for him as anything he writes or says about them good or bad produces loads of viewers. Basically Joe is not as stupid as he acts and has his own audience in the palm of his hand.

I think you give Joe too much credit and it is more a case of RTE and the Indo taking advantage of his fantansy ego as a "true gael" or "fíor gael" as a great Tyrone man once put it!!!

It was originally a gimmick created by RTE but those type of gimmicks don't last long and one has to give credit to Joe for giving it longevity.

WhoDat

why should we give him credit? he's running down amateur players for his own ego and for the cash. theres nothing admirable or honourable about that. for a fella who likes claiming that other people have no integrity, he's lacking in a fair amount himself

blast05

Principle 2 of the Press Concil of Irelands Code of Practise:   

"Readers are entitled to expect that the content of the press reflects the best judgment of editors and writers and has not been inappropriately influenced by undisclosed interests "

http://www.presscouncil.ie/code-of-practice   

In the context of what has been said about a logistics manager in a former Mayo mgmt setup and Brollys relationship with said person.... well, make your own judgement

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: WhoDat on August 15, 2019, 06:53:36 PM
why should we give him credit? he's running down amateur players for his own ego and for the cash. theres nothing admirable or honourable about that. for a fella who likes claiming that other people have no integrity, he's lacking in a fair amount himself

This constant referring to amateur players by so many 'gaels" is a misty eyed nonsense. 

Anyone who plays for a county senior team in the modern era is far from being an 'amateur' player.  Virtually all are well looked after, all the necessary gear, food after training and games, all transport paid for and for quite a few jobs or job opportunities that would not be otherwise available. Yes, they put a lot into the time and effort required but there is a lot in return. Some can even make a good living on the back of being a county player without being actually paid for playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 15, 2019, 09:01:28 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on August 15, 2019, 06:53:36 PM

This constant referring to amateur players by so many 'gaels" is a misty eyed nonsense. 

Anyone who plays for a county senior team in the modern era is far from being an 'amateur' player.  Virtually all are well looked after, all the necessary gear, food after training and games, all transport paid for and for quite a few jobs or job opportunities that would not be otherwise available. Yes, they put a lot into the time and effort required but there is a lot in return. Some can even make a good living on the back of being a county player without being actually paid for playing.

Yes, but professionals they are not, demonstrably. Ergo, pramateurs, shamateurs, or something else?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

WhoDat

they are not professionals. full stop. yes, there are perks that come with being an intercounty player, but they are not employees of the gaa. they are not earning great amounts of money that reflects the money they make for the organisation. therefore, they are not fair game for pundits in the same way an employee of liverpool or some such would be

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: WhoDat on August 15, 2019, 11:05:02 PM
they are not professionals. full stop. yes, there are perks that come with being an intercounty player, but they are not employees of the gaa. they are not earning great amounts of money that reflects the money they make for the organisation. therefore, they are not fair game for pundits in the same way an employee of liverpool or some such would be

It's not necessarily just about the money although that is an element. It is as much about representation and responsibility.  When a player accepts selection and pulls on the jersey it carries a certain weight of responsibility as well as honour and benefits. A consequence is the criticism from pundits and supporters. Nothing to do with this misty eyed referral as being amateurs they are immune from punditry in the media or by followers.

Hereiam

Get Brolly off the Sunday game.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Hereiam on September 01, 2019, 03:15:05 PM

I think he might have had a tin of red bull there alright.

t_mac

He is better than the host.

MoChara

Christ he's making an awful dick of himself

Captain Obvious

Quote from: MoChara on September 01, 2019, 03:24:09 PM
Christ he's making an awful dick of himself

Had to switch over to SKY because of him.

Halfquarter

He's all over Pat Spillane, pawing him at every opportunity.

He keeps talking over everybody so nobody can hear anything, I don't know why Joanne Cantrell
wont tell him to shut up. Thats where the 'mute' button comes in handy.

chrissears

He is the reason I watch sky coverage instead, he is useless

trueblue1234

I'm really struggling to understand why RTE keep him. I know the old saying no publicity is bad publicity but anyone I've spoken with since the game yesterday has mentioned how bad Brolly is. Do RTE just keep putting their head in the sand? I actually think he's getting worse. At the start I found him more of an annoyance but now he would actually make you turn over to Sky. Surely RTE see this? The analysis of the Cooper Clifford incident was ridiculous.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit