NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Should Derry risk injuries and try to win Ulster or opt out to be ready or the big prize ?

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2024, 11:42:02 AMShould Derry risk injuries and try to win Ulster or opt out to be ready or the big prize ?

Try to win Ulster

Brendan

Quote from: seafoid on April 01, 2024, 11:42:02 AMShould Derry risk injuries and try to win Ulster or opt out to be ready or the big prize ?

Enough breaks between games to manage it and looking at form Donegal are their biggest challenge and they have them first day out so worth a good cracking at it for the seeding also

Keyser soze

On Conor Lane, I would say every ref gets decisions wrong during a game.

But he has a tendency to get more of them wrong in favour of Dublin. Like for tbe Derry penalty, if that had been Con tackled like that there would have ben zero hesitation and no consultarion needed in giving the penalty.

He has always ben appalling when refereeing Derry IMO, a performance against Galway a few years ago in particlular sticks in mind. By that reference point, yesterday he was fairly even-handed, both teams got some soft frees Dublin got a couple that were nowhere near fouls though.

Hes not alone in that of course the Dubs at home will always have that advantage

nrico2006

Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 11:19:25 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:03:05 AMReferees have been called back, at the next break in play, by umpires and linesmen to discuss off-the-ball incidents, since forever and a day. Some will act on their fellow official's advice and administer cards, some will not. But I don't yet think I've ever seen the previous passage of play cancelled as a result of the retrospective card / cards.

I think some people have been watching too much association football and its bizarre and erratic implementation of VAR, and gotten confused.

Nah, common sense really. Throw ball should be the next step at a minimum.

And what if from the resultant passage of play, a high ball goes in, two players challenge awkwardly, then get up off the floor and beat the reed out of each other in front of the referee?

Is it commonsense to ignore that passage of play too and just take the game back to a free for Derry where Fenton's lash out took place?

You can come up with as many obscure scenarios as you want, point is that it doesn't seem right that Dublin get the 45 after one of their players commits a foul that warranted a red card.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cornerback

https://x.com/so_92/status/1774758687636070636?s=46&t=F_sQ_3viFZ6zidQYNagDEA

Good angle to show that Lane didn't see the incident at the time. Turn round due to the crowd's reaction

tonto1888

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 12:58:57 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 11:19:25 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 01, 2024, 11:03:05 AMReferees have been called back, at the next break in play, by umpires and linesmen to discuss off-the-ball incidents, since forever and a day. Some will act on their fellow official's advice and administer cards, some will not. But I don't yet think I've ever seen the previous passage of play cancelled as a result of the retrospective card / cards.

I think some people have been watching too much association football and its bizarre and erratic implementation of VAR, and gotten confused.

Nah, common sense really. Throw ball should be the next step at a minimum.

And what if from the resultant passage of play, a high ball goes in, two players challenge awkwardly, then get up off the floor and beat the reed out of each other in front of the referee?

Is it commonsense to ignore that passage of play too and just take the game back to a free for Derry where Fenton's lash out took place?

You can come up with as many obscure scenarios as you want, point is that it doesn't seem right that Dublin get the 45 after one of their players commits a foul that warranted a red card.

What are the actual rules on that? I'm assuming you have read them

Derryman forever

Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:20:29 PMhttps://x.com/so_92/status/1774758687636070636?s=46&t=F_sQ_3viFZ6zidQYNagDEA

Good angle to show that Lane didn't see the incident at the time. Turn round due to the crowd's reaction

So he turned around, observed a player lying on the ground and an opponent standing over him, but didn't think to stop play to adjudicate.
That  seems like good refereeing.

Mario

You want the top seed. Lose it and you could be in a group with Kerry or Dublin which means a preliminary quarter final is more likely and we all know how those teams struggled last year with games week on week

cornerback

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:20:29 PMhttps://x.com/so_92/status/1774758687636070636?s=46&t=F_sQ_3viFZ6zidQYNagDEA

So he turned around, observed a player lying on the ground and an opponent standing over him, but didn't think to stop play to adjudicate.

So are you saying you want the referee to stop play every time that situation arises?

So a team on the attack in the final minutes of a game, a player on the defending hits the ground, the crowd reacts, referee stops play, consults all his other officials, nobody seen anything. Play restarts with a free to the attacking team which they aren't allowed to score from and the defending team are now set with everyone back and marking their opponents.

Derryman forever

Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2024, 01:48:27 PM

So are you saying you want the referee to stop play every time that situation arises?

So a team on the attack in the final minutes of a game, a player on the defending hits the ground, the crowd reacts, referee stops play, consults all his other officials, nobody seen anything. Play restarts with a free to the attacking team which they aren't allowed to score from and the defending team are now set with everyone back and marking their opponents.

Fair point.

nrico2006

Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 02:00:38 PM

Fair point.

But is he not in communication with his supporting officials, i.e. when a linesman witnesses an actual legitimate assault/incident and informs the referee of the incident. It seemed like the linesman saw that happen yesterday.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cornerback

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 01, 2024, 02:13:11 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on April 01, 2024, 02:00:38 PM

Fair point.

But is he not in communication with his supporting officials, i.e. when a linesman witnesses an actual legitimate assault/incident and informs the referee of the incident. It seemed like the linesman saw that happen yesterday.

My thoughts are that the next break in play is the time to discuss these incidents. Linesman sees something and notifies ref, umpire sees same incident from a different angle and has a different opinion.
The ref referees the game as he sees it, if he doesn't see an off the ball incident he can't keep stopping play to consult his officials. He also can't be in ongoing discussions with the other officials as there is a game to referee!

Estimator

Still on Ref watch.. the decision not to award Toner a free, for the charge in the back, after Murrays shot was saved by Comerford was bizarre considering the what he was giving frees for throughout the game.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Wildweasel74

Seen it on TV last nite, at that stage I give up trying to work out what he was at, it was a free all day long.