NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Also looking forward to a few years of Dublin/Derry rivalry to come, based on today.

I thought Derry were a little unfortunate to lose out to Kerry in last year's semi-final, and today will certainly add to their self-belief.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ONeill on April 01, 2024, 12:14:20 AMWell done Harte too. Has taken Derry to a Tyrone level.

Mickey Harte's first year with Tyrone seniors in 2003.

NFL Div 1 title won
Ulster Title won
All Ireland won

So far in his first year with Derry, one down and two to go if history is to repeat itself.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gazboy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2024, 12:31:09 AMThink that Chrissy McKaigue, the only man to win each of the 4 Divisional titles. Hard believe 5 yrs ago in Ballinascreen. There was only 300 odd supporters at a fball /hurling double header. Surely any lower team got to look at Derry and say why can't we do it too.
Yeah was at that London game too,a cold frosty day with 12.30 throw in,but it was same at bellaghy,maghera and celtic park home games in div 4 only a few hundred fans present 🥲

cornerback

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2024, 12:31:09 AMThink that Chrissy McKaigue, the only man to win each of the 4 Divisional titles. Hard believe 5 yrs ago in Ballinascreen. There was only 300 odd supporters at a fball /hurling double header. Surely any lower team got to look at Derry and say why can't we do it too.
Don't think he has a division 2 title (despite finishing top of the league)

JoG2

What an amazing contest. Very late home, car trouble. The fact that today, we were at Croke Park going hammer and tongs against the Dubs is amazing. We've had 8 years of taking the scenic route, down and up the divisions, to be even in the conversation for the summer ahead is something for these players to be extremely proud of . We talked on the way home of how this can and should be motivation for other counties that, with the right organisation, work rate and team building (because at the end of the day, Gallagher brought these men together and bonded them with the belief that they can do great things) pretty much anything can happen. Micky and Horse have added to the squad. Some of the play for periods in every game this year has been exceptional.
Roll on the Ulster championship. Monaghan, Tyrone, Armagh, Donegal and ourselves will all think they can lift the Anglo Celt. Down, Cavan  and Fermanagh good enough to cause an upset or 2 of their day.

Wildweasel74

He has,won against Westmeath in 2014.

Wildweasel74

Harte looks justified  now with his dummy team in celtic Park a month ago.

Gael85

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 01, 2024, 12:23:43 AMHappy enough with the league this year. Obviously would have preferred a different result today, but a bunch of lads who have been at the periphery of the squad in recent times got a lot of game time over the course of the league, and some of those had today  their first taste of a high-intensity game with something on the line.

I think some of our younger defenders aren't quite at the level required yet, but I'd be fairly hopeful that today will help bring them on, and, as I said above, I'd be fairly confident that the old guard have another tilt in them this year.

Would like to have seen Theo Clancy get more game time during league.

onefineday

Quote from: Itchy on March 31, 2024, 06:23:30 PMI thought Lane did very well as ref. Got big calls right but I've a feeling they sneak a peak at the big screen.

People may want more extra time but players are knackered. Penalties now only fair way to end it on the day
The big screen doesn't show anything remotely controversial or which results in a free, or didn't today anyway. It's frustrating in the ground, but I presume that such incidents aren't shown to ensure no suggestion can be made that the ref used the replay.

Wildweasel74

The free at the end of normal time, not even remotely a free. Allowing Dublin to take the 45 which lead to the goal after Fenton send off is mysterious to say the least. I thought it should been a throw up ball at least  from where that incident occurred. There were 2 High tackles on McFaul and McAvoy which were obvious fouls and Lane let both go.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Gael85 on April 01, 2024, 02:18:16 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 01, 2024, 12:23:43 AMHappy enough with the league this year. Obviously would have preferred a different result today, but a bunch of lads who have been at the periphery of the squad in recent times got a lot of game time over the course of the league, and some of those had today  their first taste of a high-intensity game with something on the line.

I think some of our younger defenders aren't quite at the level required yet, but I'd be fairly hopeful that today will help bring them on, and, as I said above, I'd be fairly confident that the old guard have another tilt in them this year.

Would like to have seen Theo Clancy get more game time during league.

He got enough time to show he's one for the future.

gallsman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 01, 2024, 02:53:32 AMThe free at the end of normal time, not even remotely a free. Allowing Dublin to take the 45 which lead to the goal after Fenton send off is mysterious to say the least. I thought it should been a throw up ball at least  from where that incident occurred. There were 2 High tackles on McFaul and McAvoy which were obvious fouls and Lane let both go.

Has already been explained here by a referee. There were plenty of questionable decisions in Derry's favour as well.

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on April 01, 2024, 12:32:21 AMAlso looking forward to a few years of Dublin/Derry rivalry to come, based on today.

Derry very good underage at the minute too. Last year's minors were outstanding.

Armagh18

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 31, 2024, 08:25:56 PM
Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2024, 07:51:35 PMRef didn't see it and went on linesman's view. Linesman was wrong.
How do you know ref didn't see it?
Are you Conor Lane?
Obviously only Lane can answer that. But watching tv it looked as though Lane was following the play and the incident happened behind him. Linesman had a clear view of it, forearm to the face off the ball, you are giving the ref a decision to make, totally needless thing to do so can be no real complaints. 

Derryman forever

Much had been spoken and written of Dublin's kicking game prior to The final.
But IMO it was Derry's kicking that was the most incisive  and damaging.
This Derry team seems to be expanding in talent confidence and all aspects of the game.
I also noticed that some of our best players  yesterday were the young guns.
Murray, Mc Evoy, Doherty.
Looks promising for Derry at the moment

galwayman

Derry have turned into a seriously good team since 2022.
We beat them twice that season but unfortunately have gone in the opposite direction since.
There is definitely an All Ireland in that team in the near future.