GP's & Hospitals - What is going on

Started by Hereiam, April 23, 2024, 12:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: bennydorano on April 23, 2024, 04:32:40 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 23, 2024, 04:15:36 PM
Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 02:38:10 PMMy friends aunt was up from the South, needed to see a doctor, paid £75 quid to see one in a private clinic in Armagh ran by an ex Tyrones missus, the doctor she saw is the doctor I would see if I ever got an appointment!
That Doctor is in all likelihood taking those shifts because his or her practice can not give them any more shifts. Not the fault of the GP but the system.
I dont think so. Went part time (or just left) NHS to go into the private sector.

Couple of health centres in Derry are starting to offer the private consultations at £75 a pop. These appointments will only be outside the core hours, ie after 6pm as far as I know.

* huge amount of last minute cancellations / no shows
* staff members getting serious abuse. A woman working in one of the larger health centres in the town told me 4 admin staff left within a week of each other. They didn't have other jobs to go to at the time, just couldn't listen to any more dung
* dozens of prescriptions like 'brufen and paracetamol which cost a quid in the supermarket costing £40+ when got through a health centre
* repeat patients, and I'm talking of a lot of folk calling each and every day with different ailments
* queues for sick lines
* general levels of entitlement and abuse of the system

The above and many more issues aren't helping things

Tones

Quote from: Puckoon on April 23, 2024, 06:42:24 PM
Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 06:20:15 PMYeah f**k you jack I am OK.

You're putting the blame at the GPs door for taking on a legal practice activity? What moral obligation do they have to get f**ked by a broken system?

Successive Prime Ministers, Health Ministers drove the place into the ground. Some moral obligation to be the last violinist on the Titanic.

Did they pay privately to be trained?

Tones

Quote from: JoG2 on April 23, 2024, 09:59:06 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 23, 2024, 04:32:40 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 23, 2024, 04:15:36 PM
Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 02:38:10 PMMy friends aunt was up from the South, needed to see a doctor, paid £75 quid to see one in a private clinic in Armagh ran by an ex Tyrones missus, the doctor she saw is the doctor I would see if I ever got an appointment!
That Doctor is in all likelihood taking those shifts because his or her practice can not give them any more shifts. Not the fault of the GP but the system.
I dont think so. Went part time (or just left) NHS to go into the private sector.

Couple of health centres in Derry are starting to offer the private consultations at £75 a pop. These appointments will only be outside the core hours, ie after 6pm as far as I know.

* huge amount of last minute cancellations / no shows
* staff members getting serious abuse. A woman working in one of the larger health centres in the town told me 4 admin staff left within a week of each other. They didn't have other jobs to go to at the time, just couldn't listen to any more dung
* dozens of prescriptions like 'brufen and paracetamol which cost a quid in the supermarket costing £40+ when got through a health centre
* repeat patients, and I'm talking of a lot of folk calling each and every day with different ailments
* queues for sick lines
* general levels of entitlement and abuse of the system

The above and many more issues aren't helping things

The abuse thing is disgusting but it's happening everywhere poor kids in retail, folk are tramps me me me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 10:00:49 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 23, 2024, 06:42:24 PM
Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 06:20:15 PMYeah f**k you jack I am OK.

You're putting the blame at the GPs door for taking on a legal practice activity? What moral obligation do they have to get f**ked by a broken system?

Successive Prime Ministers, Health Ministers drove the place into the ground. Some moral obligation to be the last violinist on the Titanic.

Did they pay privately to be trained?

Is the course to be a doctor free?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tones

No university course is free now, are you a doctor after a medical course or do you need advice, training and guidance via a paid private sector company or is that provided by say the NHS in the occupied 6?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 10:20:35 PMNo university course is free now, are you a doctor after a medical course or do you need advice, training and guidance via a paid private sector company or is that provided by say the NHS in the occupied 6?
I'm not sure what you are on about, are you saying doctors have to be public sector workers because the do a medical degree?

How Much Does It Cost To Become A Doctor In The UK? In 2021, it was estimated that the average medical student graduates with between £70,000 - £90,000 student loan debt. This is significantly larger than students in other degrees due to the length of the medical degree, charged at £9,250 per year.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 23, 2024, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on April 23, 2024, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 23, 2024, 08:25:49 PMAre people just more sick? More people and less doctors?

Living longer, as I've said many times is a curse.

Yeah but why are we all so sick

Eating carbs

;D

Tones

And they earn significantly more let's be honest, I was replying to Armagh18 saying it is fine for Doctors to take better pay, which is a fair point we all want the best pay, when I was trained I entered a contract 30 years ago that if I left with in 2 years I had to pay a percentage of the training and my job is so unimportant compared to the great work Doctors do. My point to Armagh18 was if all medical professionals did their degree got trained by the NHS to be as great as they are in their field just left for private work where us the morality for folk who paid their taxes all their lives but can't afford 75 quid a pop to see said professionals, seems a tad unfair.

Tones

Bet if everyone had to pay you could get an appointment anytime anywhere!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 10:51:25 PMBet if everyone had to pay you could get an appointment anytime anywhere!

Wife paid over £100 recently, couldn't be arsed phoning anymore and I was embarrassed asking the friend I had at doctors reception.

Was seen next day, had bloods taken antibiotic's prescribed

Had that illness recently that completely floored her, I was fed up looking after her, so money well spent

Tones

Imagine if you couldn't afford the 100 quid?

Tones

Quote from: armaghniac on April 23, 2024, 05:32:06 PMThe NHS in the 6 counties is underfunded, and it is not going to improve much. In the 26 counties it is an honest proposition, we'll charge you unless you are in the poorer half of the population. In the 6 counties the proposition is that everything is free, but we won't see you anytime soon. 

This is the most realistic post on this thread.

markl121

recently had to use BUPA Private GP which I can get via my work. I had been trying to get a GP appointment for a non urgent thing, but again unless you call between 8.30 and 9 every morning for a time slot later on that day, then you don't really have an option. My surgery actually do offer an appointment a week in advance for mornings only. This is better than most but the nature of my job means that I have work booked 4-6 weeks in advance, I don't finish at the same time each day and can't really cancel it as its block booked appointments. Just a bit frustrating that you can't say ok tell me a date and time in a month from now and I can try and organise around it. You could of course use a days annual leave in the hope you can get through between 8.30 and 9 in the hope you can be seen that day.

Tones

Or just suck it up. Amazingly take dentistry get an appointment you get charged if you cancel if they cancel suck it up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on April 23, 2024, 11:08:53 PMImagine if you couldn't afford the 100 quid?

Then you keep calling or go to A&E

But it's not the doctors on the ground in local surgeries that are not seeing people, they are full.

It's like that show about covid the other week, was very good, protests outside hospitals people going inside hospitals and videoing the place saying it's empty!

NHS is crumbling, getting health insurance looks like your best bet if you can afford it.