Next Laois football manager

Started by SCFC, July 30, 2019, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steven seagal

One thing that struck me over the last couple of years was the amount of awards nights and presentations he was going to, for someone self-employed that's a tough thing to do. Between time spent coaching Laois and time going to these events, it all eats away at time spent on his business. It's not like he can delegate, if he's not there himself he's not making money. Add in the family side of things and it's easy to see why he would feel the need to step away. I think the key now is not to leave him gone long-term like we did with Cheddar, I think he has a genuine interest in the county, hopefully he can be kept involved in some capacity, even if it's helping out with a development squad when things have settled back down for him.

High Fielder

Quote from: Jd on August 03, 2019, 12:51:36 PM
Family and work I heard   I'm sure he'd like to be able to head off for a weekend with the wife and kids who are fairly young and possibly miss their dad not being home in the evenings. Most on here are involved with clubs and if you wanted you could be gone every evening and weekend. He took that on and had no option but to fully immerse himself in the process of improving Laois football which he did. I hav had underage teams and you'd be burned out at the end of the year So maybe John was getting that way and decided to go. I also know that co board did their level best to talk him around and also organized players to talk to him but he was not for turning. It might work out that he takes a less time consuming job with the coaching/underage setups and hopefully we'll have him for more time in the long run.

Thanks for the clarification. Everyone missed an opportunity by not saying that in the first place. It ends the speculation and it humanises the whole thing which at this point, at county level and even in some clubs, is way out of control. The top teams in the country have nearly as many on the line and in the stands than in the matchday panel. It's getting increasingly hard to compete

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on August 03, 2019, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: Jd on August 03, 2019, 12:51:36 PM
Family and work I heard   I'm sure he'd like to be able to head off for a weekend with the wife and kids who are fairly young and possibly miss their dad not being home in the evenings. Most on here are involved with clubs and if you wanted you could be gone every evening and weekend. He took that on and had no option but to fully immerse himself in the process of improving Laois football which he did. I hav had underage teams and you'd be burned out at the end of the year So maybe John was getting that way and decided to go. I also know that co board did their level best to talk him around and also organized players to talk to him but he was not for turning. It might work out that he takes a less time consuming job with the coaching/underage setups and hopefully we'll have him for more time in the long run.

Thanks for the clarification. Everyone missed an opportunity by not saying that in the first place. It ends the speculation and it humanises the whole thing which at this point, at county level and even in some clubs, is way out of control. The top teams in the country have nearly as many on the line and in the stands than in the matchday panel. It's getting increasingly hard to compete
It was said from the start. Work and family.

High Fielder

Don Draper

Quote from: Don Draper on July 30, 2019, 10:56:51 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 30, 2019, 10:35:14 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on July 30, 2019, 10:17:44 PM
This doesn't look good for us. If a man walks away from a job after being successful and is highly regarded, does that man feel he can't do any more? I'm hoping we hear from him and I'm hoping he talks about the huge commitment required and/or wanting to spend more time with the family. Anything else will make this an impossible sell and God knows what Bozo we'll end up with

I'd say unfortunately that may be the case.
It's a cert it's because of family and work.

Most right thinking people

High Fielder

Speculation. We can all do that. I didn't see anyone saying wrong about John, so it's fair to say nobody is wrong thinking.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on August 03, 2019, 06:53:17 PM
Speculation. We can all do that. I didn't see anyone saying wrong about John, so it's fair to say nobody is wrong thinking.
You had just thanked him for his clarification  ;D

High Fielder

He said he had heard and I assumed he meant from someone in the know. I have no reason to distrust the poster

Jd

Yeah was a person who would have connections with co board. I'm not prepared to say any more though but trust me it's true

High Fielder

Fair play Jd. I'm glad we got to the bottom of it. I wish John Sugrue the very best and want to thank him for his dedicated and excellent work. He sowed optimism where there was none and improved so many aspects of our preparation. He cut through the bullshit and made some unpopular but correct calls. It will be extremely hard to replace him

In my opinion, he made Laois better than the sum of its parts. I don't think any coach in Laois is capable of doing that. Well at least not that I've seen anyway. Just my opinion

Mad Mentor

What are we expecting from the senior football manager? John Sugrue went beyond what I would expect a senior manager to do by instigating the divisional championship and putting in numerous appearances around the county.  Would he be expected to do this in any other county? Is setting up the structures to ensure we have talented players for the future not the job of the county board, and by extension, the clubs? Eddie Brennan has fired up the hurling end of the county but it is still up to the clubs and county board to drive it forward. The Joe McDonagh cup has done the rounds of the Cùl camps but Eddie hasn't been carrying it. No disrespect to him as it's not his job. For a very short time we had the best football and hurling managers we could have hoped for. If Brian Cody resigned after the All Ireland, we could lose both of them in the one year.
Until the clubs fully grasp the reality that it is up to them to drive it forward, we will never sustain a successful county team.

From the Terrace

the last two are good posts, agree with both. When John Sugrue meet with club officials last February only 5/6 clubs showed i think. That is nowhere near good enough, Also he suggested all clubs get in a room & have a structured discussion on improving Senior/Intermediate/Junior breakdown but this has not happened. I'm sure that has not helped John in making his decision. They're is a number of ways the county board need to direct football in our county to improve. 16 senior clubs down to 8 with two divisional teams would be ideal i think, Rob Tyrell, 2 Comerfords, Hitchcock are examples of lads who need to be playing in our Senior Championship, Junior will not improve these lads.

les Antiques

Jack O'Connor would be interesting. I hear he's been approached by three counties including Laois .

Chrimtain

Quote from: les Antiques on August 09, 2019, 11:15:38 AM
Jack O'Connor would be interesting. I hear he's been approached by three counties including Laois .

Is he not going to Kildare?

portlaoisekid

Its Kildare or nowhere for Jack O'Connor.

Rumors abound that Laois have approached a good few outsiders about the job, its seems a character like Eddie Brennan for the footballers is on the cards. From what I hear it'll only be a Laois man if the outsider route fails.