Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No wides

SkillfulBill

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 03:18:08 PM
I like corbyn but not convinced he's a viable leader. They'll end up with someone who's tory-lite like khan or the like.

I voted remain myself like prob. 90% of nationalists. In a way the Bretix vote is good for nationalism 20 years of the GFA has made the middle class nationalists soft on a united Ireland but this DUP sponsored breakup of the UK should go along way to firming that up again. With a Scottish exit it may bring a few over from the otherside as NI is sure to suffer the most along with Gibralta. How long before the money for ni dries up and gets diverted to northern of england. When they realise that ni costs more than europe bye bye.

imtommygunn

Spain are already talking about gibraltar and there is talk from snp on referendum too. I think you are right on the middle class nationalist bit too. Still the south must want us etc etc so still a pipe dream.

I think many gravy trains are about to dry up for ni. It is a false evonomy hugely bolstered by eu and you can be sure tories won't fund that.

No wides

Yip if I was a civil servant in the North I would be starting to save.

AZOffaly

I had an argument on Facebook with someone in Dublin who would welcome border controls. If 'they' want to stop us going into the UK, we should stop 'them' coming to the ROI. I pointed out that a lot of 'them' were actually 'us' and worked daily in Dublin, and consider themselves Irish, and not only that but are guaranteed to be Irish under our constitution. Would we really want Irish people, working in Dublin, to be inconvenienced with a border every morning.

The response was that ye are not Irish. So hard luck lads. Even though the constitution says you are part of the Irish Nation, and Citizens of the ROI, as far as she was concerned, only people born in the 26 counties are Irish.

Sometimes I hate people.

haveaharp

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 03:41:46 PM
I had an argument on Facebook with someone in Dublin who would welcome border controls. If 'they' want to stop us going into the UK, we should stop 'them' coming to the ROI. I pointed out that a lot of 'them' were actually 'us' and worked daily in Dublin, and consider themselves Irish, and not only that but are guaranteed to be Irish under our constitution. Would we really want Irish people, working in Dublin, to be inconvenienced with a border every morning.

The response was that ye are not Irish. So hard luck lads. Even though the constitution says you are part of the Irish Nation, and Citizens of the ROI, as far as she was concerned, only people born in the 26 counties are Irish.

Sometimes I hate people.

Anyone who thinks like that isnt Irish. Sad really.

doodaa

Sometimes I hate people.

Probably harder to sell a United Ireland to someone like that than a TUV voter!

heganboy

i freely admit that I saw no way in which this was possible, completely wrong.

Now what?

for those who are interested there is a once in a lifetime opportunity to bring about a lasting and inclusive peaceful island. The breakdown by council of the vote makes for fascinating reading. The inward investment in northern ireland stops abruptly with an EU exit. The 12.5% corp tax makes little to no impact with UK outside of the EU. The farming community will be decimated with NI outside of the EU.

Sinn Fein's knee jerk reaction for the border poll certainly brings the topic to the forefront of the news as part of a UK breakup. The real issue is whether the fledgling government in the Republic can create a mechanism to facilitate the absorption of a northern Ireland state while at the same time preserving the rights and influence of the unionist population. A concerted effort and a cross party initiative to put forward that proposal could take the prospect of a "more united Ireland" rather than the absolute of the traditional United Ireland prospect into a best possible solution for all.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Applesisapples

Driving to work this morning I was shocked, dismayed and saddened by the result. As the day has worn on I have cheered up a bit as the reality of the vote starts to hit the Brits. It could give nationalism a boost but I'm not sure we have the leaders to take advantage of it.

Rossfan

Will we end up with the North being some kind of tripartite ruled "special administrative area" -
A foot in an All Ireland set up, a foot in the "new UK" of England and Wales and of course a foot in the EU?
Nationalists will have their UI, Unionists will have their UK and the EU will continue with the grants to cover what we and the English/Welsh can't or won't pay for?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2016, 03:51:14 PM
Driving to work this morning I was shocked, dismayed and saddened by the result. As the day has worn on I have cheered up a bit as the reality of the vote starts to hit the Brits. It could give nationalism a boost but I'm not sure we have the leaders to take advantage of it.

May not have the leaders but economics may do it for u.

lfdown2

Sometimes I hate people.

Unfortunately there are many like her, a good many.

Applesisapples

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 24, 2016, 04:15:40 PM

Sometimes I hate people.

Unfortunately there are many like her, a good many.
Including Charlie Flannigan given hi interview there on BBC.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 03:36:45 PM
Spain are already talking about gibraltar and there is talk from snp on referendum too. I think you are right on the middle class nationalist bit too. Still the south must want us etc etc so still a pipe dream.

I think many gravy trains are about to dry up for ni. It is a false evonomy hugely bolstered by eu and you can be sure tories won't fund that.

Not if you include Fearon. Leave him north of the border and we'll see what we can do for ye. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heganboy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2016, 04:05:45 PM
Will we end up with the North being some kind of tripartite ruled "special administrative area" -
A foot in an All Ireland set up, a foot in the "new UK" of England and Wales and of course a foot in the EU?
Nationalists will have their UI, Unionists will have their UK and the EU will continue with the grants to cover what we and the English/Welsh can't or won't pay for?

Rossfan,
as proposals go there are merits in yours (I believe) I think that part of the all ireland "foot" would cover the EU eligibility. The Barnett model that controls the block grant allocation to NI, Scotland and Wales makes for some interesting reading. Economics may be a driver, but as this week's results show it is not the only thing. What will be interesting to see if there are legitimately viable models proposed over the next few weeks, and whether they get any political support. Enda says he has more serious issues to address first (relating to the border poll issue) so does that mean it will be addressed? The fact that this hasn't been considered as part of the Brexit contingency plan may be indicative of the short sightedness of the current political class. The economic benefit of the integration of the north into the economy of the Republic would actually be a massive boost to the island's economy, and that boost is within the grasp of this administration, question is- do they know how to grasp it?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity