Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2018, 10:25:05 AM
Funny why this was removed yet councils every year pay to have bunting for the twelfth, and union flags flies all year round in town centres, and not a word about it.
They don't actually that was outlawed some time ago.

Someone better tell Ards and North Down then as they pay out for "festival" bunting in their annual accounts every year.

Who pays for this bunting if it isn't the councils?

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnnycool on November 19, 2018, 11:35:11 AM
Funny why this was removed yet councils every year pay to have bunting for the twelfth, and union flags flies all year round in town centres, and not a word about it.

Someone better tell Ards and North Down then as they pay out for "festival" bunting in their annual accounts every year.

If you check you should find that that festival bunting has to do with other events, I am nearly sure the paying for twelfth bunting with ratepayer's cash was challenged some years ago as being an equality issue, I may be wrong.

screenexile

What complete moron in the council did this??!! He/she should be sacked. . . it only gives Bryson another stick to beat them with having been made a laughing stock last week now he can espouse the "anti British ethos of the council"

Amateur hour crap like this really does my head in!!

BennyCake

Nolan is responsible for adding the fuel to keep the sectarian fires burning in the north.

He continually gives profile and airtime to Bryson and Allister and the likes. Bigots who have a 17th century mindset.

BennyCake

I've seen plenty of towns in bunting for the twelfth. And the union flag flying all year in centre of town.

lurganblue

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2018, 02:11:25 PM

I've seen plenty of towns in bunting for the twelfth. And the union flag flying all year in centre of town.

Are the councils involved in erecting these arches in the summer too?

Quote from: screenexile on November 19, 2018, 01:43:58 PM
What complete moron in the council did this??!! He/she should be sacked. . . it only gives Bryson another stick to beat them with having been made a laughing stock last week now he can espouse the "anti British ethos of the council"

It's unbelievably stupid, and even worse to put the stupidity in writing.

Applesisapples

In fairness to the council they got a complaint about the poster affecting workplace neutrality. As I said the council should pick and choose where to place these.

Applesisapples

The bunting is put up by organised community groups, probably loyalist paramilitary influenced. I would say they get community grants as a way around the council actually doing the work.

TabClear

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 02:35:47 PM

In fairness to the council they got a complaint about the poster affecting workplace neutrality. As I said the council should pick and choose where to place these.

Whoever made that complaint should be roaded. moron

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 02:38:09 PM

The bunting is put up by organised community groups, probably loyalist paramilitary influenced. I would say they get community grants as a way around the council actually doing the work.

If that's the case, would they not need a permit to erect this bunting?

Each summer there are loads of examples of erecting flags in neutral areas, especially at road junctions or motorway/dual carriageway exits. They are never removed, nor are given approval in the first place. Just another example of putting those pesky taigs in their place.

screenexile

Quote from: TabClear on November 19, 2018, 04:09:50 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 02:35:47 PM

Whoever made that complaint should be roaded. moron

The council should have told whoever made the complaint to f**k up and stop being a dick then we wouldn't have this crap going on today!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on November 19, 2018, 04:12:09 PM

Each summer there are loads of examples of erecting flags in neutral areas, especially at road junctions or motorway/dual carriageway exits. They are never removed, nor are given approval in the first place. Just another example of putting those pesky taigs in their place.
Every year theres a row in Lurgan as the bring the bunting down the town to the nationalist end allegedly to the COI.

lurganblue

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 04:41:15 PM

Every year theres a row in Lurgan as the bring the bunting down the town to the nationalist end allegedly to the COI.

Used to go right around the Church but not any more. Up to the war memorial now.

Dougal Maguire

I think this is brilliant. Shows how far we've come. Wasn't all that long ago that staff in Short Bros in Belfast went on strike because they were told to remove flags etc from the workplace. They simply don't have that level of power anymore and let's make sure it stays that way
Careful now

general_lee

Quote from: lurganblue on November 19, 2018, 04:54:58 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 04:41:15 PM

Used to go right around the Church but not any more. Up to the war memorial now.
Craigavon Protestant boys flute band if I remember correctly, they sneak out in the early hours of the morning to do it in their cherry pickers. Interesting how much longer they keep it up in Lurgan compared to towns with larger loyalist populations like banbridge and Lisburn. To annoy the taigs, obviously. Maybe next year they'll keep it to their own end and leave the town centre neutral