Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: laoislad on March 17, 2014, 10:49:21 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 17, 2014, 10:05:46 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 17, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on March 17, 2014, 08:45:31 AM
Anyone fancy a pint ;)
Yes, but only of there's no Green dye in it, and nobody wearing any Green around us, and no Ireland flags on display, because we're above all that, and anyone with any of these things, is apparently not celebrating their nationality and/or letting their hair down and having a laugh, but is actually trying to be more Irish. And only of we can call it "SPD".
The day can be whatever people want. Chanting pro-IRA slogans in between vomiting up green beer whilst draped in a tricolour is maybe your idea of a good day out (or it may not  ;))  but for many they don't need that.
Do ye Nordies get the day off today?

Not all of us, I think its a bank holiday, not a public holiday.

CD

Anyone fancy a pint ;)
Yes, but only of there's no Green dye in it, and nobody wearing any Green around us, and no Ireland flags on display, because we're above all that, and anyone with any of these things, is apparently not celebrating their nationality and/or letting their hair down and having a laugh, but is actually trying to be more Irish. And only of we can call it "SPD".
The day can be whatever people want. Chanting pro-IRA slogans in between vomiting up green beer whilst draped in a tricolour is maybe your idea of a good day out (or it may not  ;))  but for many they don't need that.
Yep! It's a bank holiday.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Tony Baloney

Anyone fancy a pint ;)
No but I took the day off to celebrate our Saint's day.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on March 17, 2014, 12:03:04 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 16, 2014, 11:45:09 PM
Christmas is supposed to be one thing  but and it is another.
Patrick's Day is not supposed to be the national day in Ireland, but it is. It was always celebrated abroad  and it was about Irishness in various expressions,  not about St Patrick himself.
If people want to celebrate the religious  association, they can go to church, but the day is about so much more than that, carnival, cultural and national. Flying the tricolour is not about celebrating St Patrick, it's about celebrating the national day.

Like Christmas, it has been hijacked, by the likes of Guinness and the tourist board. Christmas has lost all true meaning of what it's about, as has SPD. The parade is an American creation, not Irish.

I cringe at modern St Patricks Days. Irish people running around in green leprechauns hats, getting pissed out of their heads, and the whole place going diddly-eye-dee for the day. If that is a celebration of the best Ireland has to offer, then it's no wonder we are typecast exactly as above.

There are other ways to show off our culture, hertitage and national pride
Are you a latin mass advocate?.
I answered your grump about tricolour flags being used on a national day and it opens up a bottomless pit of grumps  ;D

Time was not so long ago in London there was nothing on St Patrick's day, labourers snuck away from the building sites and other workers took the day off, all met in the pub. Being Irish was a confined ethnicity.
Now tens of thousands of families can go along to a  street carnival parade, kids all get dressed up in carnival outfits, go green and wave tricolours,  but a grump like yourself considers this social activity a heresy.
If a culturally sophisticated person like yourself can't enjoy a social occasion like that, with or without children,
i'm sure you  could  find some irish language, GAA sport, trad music, irish theatre, irish cinema festival show and enjoy/participate/ celebrate, unencumbered by a drop of alcohol.
Or just go to a latin mass in a sackcloth ;D

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on March 17, 2014, 12:15:59 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 17, 2014, 12:03:04 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 16, 2014, 11:45:09 PM
Christmas is supposed to be one thing  but and it is another.
Patrick's Day is not supposed to be the national day in Ireland, but it is. It was always celebrated abroad  and it was about Irishness in various expressions,  not about St Patrick himself.
If people want to celebrate the religious  association, they can go to church, but the day is about so much more than that, carnival, cultural and national. Flying the tricolour is not about celebrating St Patrick, it's about celebrating the national day.

Like Christmas, it has been hijacked, by the likes of Guinness and the tourist board. Christmas has lost all true meaning of what it's about, as has SPD. The parade is an American creation, not Irish.

I cringe at modern St Patricks Days. Irish people running around in green leprechauns hats, getting pissed out of their heads, and the whole place going diddly-eye-dee for the day. If that is a celebration of the best Ireland has to offer, then it's no wonder we are typecast exactly as above.

There are other ways to show off our culture, hertitage and national pride
Are you a latin mass advocate?.
I answered your grump about tricolour flags being used on a national day and it opens up a bottomless pit of grumps  ;D

Time was not so long ago in London there was nothing on St Patrick's day, labourers snuck away from the building sites and other workers took the day off, all met in the pub. Being Irish was a confined ethnicity.
Now tens of thousands of families can go along to a  street carnival parade, kids all get dressed up in carnival outfits, go green and wave tricolours,  but a grump like yourself considers this social activity a heresy.
If a culturally sophisticated person like yourself can't enjoy a social occasion like that, with or without children,
i'm sure you  could  find some irish language, GAA sport, trad music, irish theatre, irish cinema festival show and enjoy/participate/ celebrate, unencumbered by a drop of alcohol.
Or just go to a latin mass in a sackcloth ;D

I said the tri colour has nothing to do with St Patrick, and detested the leprechaun hat wearing idiots. That was it. I didn't say anything about going green (even if St Patricks cross is red, and Ireland's original flag was blue). I merely stated the behaviour of alot of Irish on St Patricks Day is an embarrassment.

But that's what most kids grow up to do as adults. Get pissed out of your heads, not participate in some event that involves St Patrick (for that is what the day is about, not a national day), or at least something relating to Irish culture, music, language, sport etc. no, let's just sit in the pub all day and get pissed. Says a lot about some peoples mentality.

Pangurban

Ignore your critics Bennycake, you are right and they know it.

Apparently so

Christ you c***ts are boring. Lighten the f**k up a bit, maybe open your blinds every now and again when its daylight

Wankstains

Brick Tamlin

St Patricks Day in this country is just a piss-fest, end of story.
Ye can dress it up how ye like and try to sell it but most people recognise its just an excuse to drink a lot and behave like a tool.

Im not an oul fella by any stretch but yesterday I had no interest in the 'festivities' at all. I watched a bit of the Dublin parade on the telly with the kids and then took in some of the schools cup finals and the club finals in croke park. Got to spend a Monday with my kids and took them to the park etc and put my day in rightly without having to drink the head of myself and be a lout.

93-DY-SAM

A&E's up the left, economy still a mess and my biggest personal gripe is rural communities are being destroyed due to planning policies, but sure why would our politicians gives a f**k about real issues when one of the first things on the Unionist agenda around the discussion on the North's new super councils is how many days a f**king flag will fly.

imtommygunn

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 18, 2014, 01:58:08 PM
A&E's up the left, economy still a mess and my biggest personal gripe is rural communities are being destroyed due to planning policies, but sure why would our politicians gives a f**k about real issues when one of the first things on the Unionist agenda around the discussion on the North's new super councils is how many days a f**king flag will fly.
Yep - again Nesbitt shows himself up to be absolutely pathetic.

How this place is run is an absolute joke. When will any of those "politicians" ever be made accountable for actual real issues.

give her dixie

This link posted on LAD gives a clear understanding of what we have to deal with in regards to sectarian and racist bigots. Have a read at the comments, if you have the stomach for it....

http://ladbelfast.tumblr.com/post/79884253403/shame-toy-soldier-and-his-lovely-chums-didnt

And last night, to mark the 250th day at Camp Twadell, they drove an ex army jeep up the road complete with huge Israeli flag. You couldn't make it up......

http://ladbelfast.tumblr.com/post/80000853650/herbies-gone-bananas
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

armaghniac

QuoteYe can dress it up how ye like and try to sell it but most people recognise its just an excuse to drink a lot and behave like a tool.

Most people? Tools behave like tools, most people enjoy the days without being a tool.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Last year, LAD put up the following:

This week:

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Black Card

NAG1

Quote from: Black Card on March 27, 2014, 02:33:04 PM
The man's a p***k.

Those pics are truly sad and funny at the same time!