Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

There is a little Chinese man in Beijing who spends his winters inventing new types of Loyalist flags which he then ships to Ulster each spring just in time for the gullible fools to put them up lamp posts. its a bit like last years t-shirt, you couldn't be seen in that now, so no decent lamp post would wear last years flag.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 06, 2012, 08:39:09 PM
There is a little Chinese man in Beijing who spends his winters inventing new types of Loyalist flags which he then ships to Ulster each spring just in time for the gullible fools to put them up lamp posts. its a bit like last years t-shirt, you couldn't be seen in that now, so no decent lamp post would wear last years flag.

Is he a catholic Chinese man or a protestant Chinese man?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 06, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on July 06, 2012, 08:39:09 PM

Is he a catholic Chinese man or a protestant Chinese man?
Definitely a catholic, he loves taking the piss.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Onion Bag on July 06, 2012, 03:30:24 PMThese 2 houses in Markethill always have the UVF flag up. so there is no way they were bullied into putting them up. they wrap them up and put them into their attic until the following year,  the bitter b**tards
If that is so, then the householders should be prosecuted (though they might try to hide behind the '1916 technicality').

Quote from: Onion Bag on July 06, 2012, 03:30:24 PMthere would be some cry if someone were to put an IRA flag up outside their house
Really?

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

heganboy

well played EG.

can we not do the tit for tat stuff?

"themmuns" and "usuns" tend to get discussion nowhere...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Evil Genius

Quote from: heganboy on July 09, 2012, 04:06:25 PM
well played EG.

The title of this thread is "Flags & Culture", not "Loyalist Flags and Culture".

And my previous post was in direct response to 'Onion Bag's (false) claim that IRA symbols would not be allowed outside houses in the way "Loyalist" [sic/i]] paraphanalia are.

Quote from: heganboy on July 09, 2012, 04:06:25 PM"themmuns" and "usuns" tend to get discussion nowhere...
The only "Ussuns" I am part of is those who abhor all such terrorist displays, whether "Loyalist" or Republican.

And I make no distinction between "themmuns" who wave UVF flags or "themmuns"who wave IRA flags - they're both from the same sh1tty stock (imo).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 09, 2012, 04:29:22 PM
And I make no distinction between "themmuns" who wave UVF flags or "themmuns"who wave IRA flags -
You have the Rep of Ireland State  flag ( which is also the National Flag of 40- 45% of the 6 Co population) i.e the Tricolour in one of your photos.
Are you saying that is an IRA flag?
Yet you have the now unofficial 6 Co flag flying as your avatar thingy  - a flag used  by an awful lot of Loyalist paramilitaries.

Hmmmmm........ ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ziggysego

Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
And I make no distinction between "themmuns" who wave UVF flags or "themmuns"who wave IRA flags -
You have the Rep of Ireland State  flag ( which is also the National Flag of 40- 45% of the 6 Co population) i.e the Tricolour in one of your photos.
Yet you have the now unofficial 6 Co flag flying as your avatar thingy  - a flag used  by an awful lot of Loyalist paramilitaries.

I think it's more to do with the Garden of Remembrance, than the tricolour.

Could be wrong though.
Testing Accessibility

heganboy

Quote from: heganboy on July 09, 2012, 04:06:25 PM
well played EG.

The title of this thread is "Flags & Culture", not "Loyalist Flags and Culture".

EG,
seriously - I meant it when I said well played.

your reply was a good one. the whataboutery gets us nowhere- so when someone says "what would be the outcry if there was an IRA flag you did the right thing IMHO by showing exactly the situation from another perspective than the poster.
parity of esteem in the North, then you have to realize that both sides feel they are getting screwed by the other...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Oraisteach

Yes, indeed, EG, very well played again.  Another categorical, unambiguous, unqualified condemnation of terrorism, whatever its source, unless, that is, that terrorism derives from those charged with protecting us, as in the Finucane case, where you have traditionally expressed outrage at the notion of assassination but satisfaction with the outcome of that very same assassination.  I suppose, then, that malleable morality allows you to put the word "all" in unequivocal italics.  In some former life, EG, you didn't happen to be a speech-writer for Margaret Thatcher, did you?

EagleLord

On top on a bonfire. Disgraceful. 'Culture' My arse!

maddog

Quote from: EagleLord on July 11, 2012, 09:52:13 AM

It's worse than disgraceful. You can only feel a deep sense of pity for some one that would do this. Is that all is in their lives ?

AQMP

Quote from: EagleLord on July 11, 2012, 09:52:13 AM

Good to see that the hand shake between Marty & Lizzie has had an effect :o  I wonder would NITB like to comment on their tax payer funded "Flagship" project?

fitzroyalty

Saw it on twitter but it's from 2010 apparently. Sick nonetheless and it's what you come to expect from Loyalists.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2012, 04:41:32 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 09, 2012, 04:36:19 PM

I think it's more to do with the Garden of Remembrance, than the tricolour.

Could be wrong though.
I would imagine that that's what EG has in mind.
I had overlooked the fact that many on the island would regard the GofR as a communal memorial site for terrorists of the Nationalist variety.
Then again, there are just as many people who would say the same about .the multitude of statues, cenotaphs etc. that are scattered across NI commemorating personnel that they would regard as enemies of their cause.
It's a never-ending process, isn't it?
I fear that it will take several more generations before people on this island will spend more time planning for the future than  in brooding over the past.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi