Artificial Sweetners

Started by Oghams Law, July 24, 2018, 10:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oghams Law

Has anyone else noticed the proliferation of these in our food and drink? They are proven to increase the risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity and suspected of many worse crimes. When the worse side effects are not yet discounted I feel that they shouldnt be now concealed in so many consumable products. It is almost impossible to find a cordial or squash without these or a childrens toothpaste. Childrens so called 'healthy' snacks and yogurts is another source. There is far too much sugar used in the manufacture of our food and drink but instead of reducing the sweetness of our food and allowing our taste buds to adjust companies have laced our food and drink with something which may turn out to be even worse. At the very least I believe a note saying 'contains artificial sweetners' should be visable on the front of these products.

omaghjoe

We all know the problems with sugar and I try to avoid it for myself and my family with great zealotry....But Id eat traditional sugar it all day over this crap!

It might sound simple but just avoid processed foods. In practice tho it is extremely difficult

BTW on yogurt just go for the unsweetened natural stuff, after a while you'll prefer it, the other stuff you may as well be eating skittles.

Oghams Law

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 24, 2018, 05:18:22 PM
We all know the problems with sugar and I try to avoid it for myself and my family with great zealotry....But Id eat traditional sugar it all day over this crap!

It might sound simple but just avoid processed foods. In practice tho it is extremely difficult

BTW on yogurt just go for the unsweetened natural stuff, after a while you'll prefer it, the other stuff you may as well be eating skittles.
b

I do! And the children are converted at home now too but cant stop them consuming them at friends or familys houses etc. Yeah less processed foods in diet the better but not practical all the time and dont see why when you consume them they should be allowed to contain this crap. Think weve jumped right out of the frying pan and into the fire on this one.

Milltown Row2

Be interesting to know most peoples typical diet for the week, the hardest thing though for people is to actually be honest with themselves in what they eat, most people forget about the small biscuit or the bit of cake someone had in the office, or the bar of chocolate had while eating their fresh healthy sandwich, followed by crisps!

Eat as much fresh food as you can, that you have cooked from scratch, you really can't go too far wrong with that.. stay off the white bread and reduce the snacks (which i have difficulty with) and have more fruit..

Its the weekends that kill it

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

The middle lad has a very sweet tooth and he was up town with mates after swimming last week and bought a wee box of sweets about the size of a playing box. The front said "no artificial flavouring", "made with real fruit flavourings" etc. I had a snoop at the contents and there was an equivalent amount of sugar as more than a litre of Coke!

The Iceman

Finished a book there called "Deep Nutrition" and she said oils were worse than sugars - the only oils to touch were Olive oil, butter/lard and coconut oil - she said everything else was worse than sugar for you.
That was my big takeaway from her book anyway.

Cutting out or back on sugar is definitely the way to go.
Fresh organic foods - cook yourself and keep away from processed crap.  If you can grow at home even better.
Lots of water.  Pre and Pro Biotics. Plenty of beans and seeds and good fats.

Small incremental changes make all the difference. Your body thanks you for it and once you're off something it won't accept going back.
I couldn't eat an ice cream now as much as I would love to I'd be sick.
Same with chinese food - had one 2nd night on holidays - sick as a dog hadn't ate one in years.
The body is amazing
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

RedHand88

I think the big problem now a days is availability. It used to be the case where McDonald's was a city only thing in Ireland. Now every hole in the hedge has one! Same with KFC, Burger King etc. It's just too fast and easy to consume the stuff. It's a hard habit to get out of...

omaghjoe

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2018, 04:29:25 PM
I think the big problem now a days is availability. It used to be the case where McDonald's was a city only thing in Ireland. Now every hole in the hedge has one! Same with KFC, Burger King etc. It's just too fast and easy to consume the stuff. It's a hard habit to get out of...

Wouldnt say that its those things per say as people dont have them every day but they obviously dont help

More things like..
Biscuits
Tin o coke
Sweetened yogurt
Lucozade
Biscuits
Bar o chocolate
Crips
Biscuits

Then you have hidden sugar in stuff like
baked beans
cereal
cooking sauces
condiments
bread

Syferus

Seriously? Who on the island of Ireland hasn't had a chipper within 15 minutes of them for their entire lives? If anything there's a far greater proliferation of healthier options in recent years.

There's reasons for the weight epidemic but you hit on one thing that isn't different. More disposable income and more things that can be done from the comfort of your home are the big ones. Also if we're talking sugar exclusively it's one of the few things fast food isn't partially to blame for.

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2018, 04:58:40 PM

Seriously? Who on the island of Ireland hasn't had a chipper within 15 minutes of them for their entire lives
? If anything there's a far greater proliferation of healthier options in recent years.

There's reasons for the weight epidemic but you hit on one thing that isn't different. More disposable income and more things that can be done from the comfort of your home are the big ones. Also if we're talking sugar exclusively it's one of the few things fast food isn't partially to blame for.

Me.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2018, 06:28:22 PM

Seriously? Who on the island of Ireland hasn't had a chipper within 15 minutes of them for their entire lives
? If anything there's a far greater proliferation of healthier options in recent years.

Me.

Do you actually think you are not in a minuscule minority in that regard?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Iceman on July 25, 2018, 04:22:11 PM
Finished a book there called "Deep Nutrition" and she said oils were worse than sugars - the only oils to touch were Olive oil, butter/lard and coconut oil - she said everything else was worse than sugar for you.
That was my big takeaway from her book anyway.

Cutting out or back on sugar is definitely the way to go.
Fresh organic foods - cook yourself and keep away from processed crap.  If you can grow at home even better.
Lots of water.  Pre and Pro Biotics. Plenty of beans and seeds and good fats.

Small incremental changes make all the difference. Your body thanks you for it and once you're off something it won't accept going back.
I couldn't eat an ice cream now as much as I would love to I'd be sick.
Same with chinese food - had one 2nd night on holidays - sick as a dog hadn't ate one in years.
The body is amazing
Come on get a Macari's into you the next time you're back. Cherry and chocolate is hard to beat!

tiempo

Quote from: Syferus on July 25, 2018, 06:49:43 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 25, 2018, 06:28:22 PM

Me.

Do you actually think you are not in a minuscule minority in that regard?

If there are 50 active contributes to gaa board and 1 makes a statement, then a fair extrapolation is to assume at least 1:50 of whatever population you want to use has the same belief, that could be Ireland, Europe, America, global. Its also fair to assume if that person reiterates their statement and goes further e.g. the actual ratio if 49:50 and you are the odd one out, that they are also 100% correct. You of all people should know that.

johnnycool

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 25, 2018, 04:51:40 PM

Wouldnt say that its those things per say as people dont have them every day but they obviously dont help

More things like..
Biscuits
Tin o coke
Sweetened yogurt
Lucozade
Biscuits
Bar o chocolate
Crips
Biscuits

Then you have hidden sugar in stuff like
baked beans
cereal
cooking sauces
condiments
bread

This is the biggest issue IMO.

When you eat a burger or drink a tin of Coke you know that its full of shíte and there's no hiding that, but when you think you're eating healthy like a yogurt or cereal and even bread that you full yourself full of the unseen sugars which we're now so accustomed to that we take it as a given.

Wait till post Brexit we start getting that corn syrup muck from the US laced into everything.