The Greatest Irish Sportsperson Ever!

Started by Tony Baloney, December 31, 2009, 11:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Well done Minder, you got to Google before me  ;) 

rosnarun

BOd if you tslking about last week's wonder
but if its all time  it has to be
1) martin sheridan(5 gold medals)
2)Jack "Nonpareil" Dempsey(1st world PRo box champion)
3)ronnie delany (Won 1500m when it was the world premier event)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

longrunsthefox

I see this programme is repeated tonight at 11.05 on RTE 2. 

no mo do yakamo

Probably be the same result this time too. ;D
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

muppet

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on January 02, 2010, 03:26:38 PM
Probably be the same result this time too. ;D

The Lisbon Treaty made that illegal.
MWWSI 2017

boojangles

AP McCoy is a ridiculous omission.
I also agree with Hardy. If Vincent O Brien is deemed fit to be on the list then he should be the undisputed No 1.

no mo do yakamo

It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 01, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
I was surprised too a Gaelic footballer didn't make top 10. Mick O'Connell would probably have got that.

sure your only gave to catch the big ball and kick it, no skill in that :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mouview on January 01, 2010, 06:15:18 PM
If Vincent O Brien is worthy of being in the top 10 then he really should be no. 1 - absolutely no questions. His feats over jumps and on the flat and the influence he has had subsequently on the racing world was unparalleled. His status among his peers was unrivalled and he was held in the highest esteem globally. If Best is to be included, then he must be second. One of the greatest exponents ever of probably the most popular sport in the world. Harrington definitely third, for sheer consistency. 3 majors in probably the toughest individual sport is a great return; many great golfers would love to be able to boast thus. For the rest, Sean Kelly's inclusion at the expense of Stephen Roche is surprising but probably correct. BOD as our greatest player should be there on balance, but not as high; of all the sports in the top 10, excepting GAA, rugby is the most niche and least widely played. Same reasons for the great Joey Dunlop. Paul McGrath and Roy Keane worthy of inclusion but what price Pat Jennings or Danny Blanchflower? Sonia was our greatest athlete but was scarcely outstanding on the world stage; why not one of Mick Kinane, Pat Eddery, Kieren Fallon, Aidan O Brien, Ruby Walsh, Tony McCoy instead? Wee Barry - same reasons as for Sonia. If the top 10 are to have an international profile then I wouldn't include GAA personages.

Agreed. There was nobody else on the original nominations list that can claim to truly be the greatest ever in the world at their chosen sport (bar Christy Ring & Mick O'Connell). MV O'Brien was one of the most gifted and talented individuals this country has ever produced. An absolute genius.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on January 02, 2010, 05:39:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 02, 2010, 05:38:11 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 01, 2010, 06:46:33 PM
I was surprised too a Gaelic footballer didn't make top 10. Mick O'Connell would probably have got that.

sure your only gave to catch the big ball and kick it, no skill in that :P
Are you still off the drink, Milltown?

Its my birthday, so i'm back on it. 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

wallyman

lynchbhoy

would Derek Dalys achievements not be equivalent to dunlops ?
Dont think either should be in top 10 though.

Think that Keith Wood should be in ahead of O'Driscoll too as Wood WAS the Irish team and carried them when they were not half as talented as they are now. O'Driscoll is superb but a stronger supporting cast allows him to look great where Woody looked fantastic with deadwood as support !

McCoy and McGuigan glaring ommissions.

INDIANA

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 02, 2010, 06:16:36 PM
Quote from: mouview on January 01, 2010, 06:15:18 PM
If Vincent O Brien is worthy of being in the top 10 then he really should be no. 1 - absolutely no questions. His feats over jumps and on the flat and the influence he has had subsequently on the racing world was unparalleled. His status among his peers was unrivalled and he was held in the highest esteem globally. If Best is to be included, then he must be second. One of the greatest exponents ever of probably the most popular sport in the world. Harrington definitely third, for sheer consistency. 3 majors in probably the toughest individual sport is a great return; many great golfers would love to be able to boast thus. For the rest, Sean Kelly's inclusion at the expense of Stephen Roche is surprising but probably correct. BOD as our greatest player should be there on balance, but not as high; of all the sports in the top 10, excepting GAA, rugby is the most niche and least widely played. Same reasons for the great Joey Dunlop. Paul McGrath and Roy Keane worthy of inclusion but what price Pat Jennings or Danny Blanchflower? Sonia was our greatest athlete but was scarcely outstanding on the world stage; why not one of Mick Kinane, Pat Eddery, Kieren Fallon, Aidan O Brien, Ruby Walsh, Tony McCoy instead? Wee Barry - same reasons as for Sonia. If the top 10 are to have an international profile then I wouldn't include GAA personages.

Agreed. There was nobody else on the original nominations list that can claim to truly be the greatest ever in the world at their chosen sport (bar Christy Ring & Mick O'Connell). MV O'Brien was one of the most gifted and talented individuals this country has ever produced. An absolute genius.

All depends on how you view horse training. In my view unless the individual actually performs the skills themselves they can't be considered. Even though O Brien was a genius