Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtothewire

Quote from: thewobbler on October 01, 2020, 10:13:05 PM
You can't concede a league game, or you will start next season with a 2 point penalty.

The PHA can of course close a club down which overrules everyone.

Under the present circumstances I doubt CCC would enforce the 2 point penalty

Smurfy123

You would think under the circumstances the 2 points deduction would be fired out this year
Yes I agree any other year but not this
What happens to Castlewellan who have already forfeited a match?

downjim

what happened the point yesterday?

Targetman

All club football cancelled for the foreseeable future!!

general

Not county tho..

county teams cant get covid  ::) ::)

downjim

Do you think there would be much objection by clubs if the leagues , reserve championships and hurling be scraped to 2021. I just do not see the appetite there anymore. Burren have a chance to win the league but I do not think there would be too much lost sleep over it. It would be hard on Clonduff who are in the league final and going for their first of silverware in a generation. What are the views from the hurling snobs? why did the senior hurling go ahead and not the other grades?

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on October 06, 2020, 10:08:41 AM
Do you think there would be much objection by clubs if the leagues , reserve championships and hurling be scraped to 2021. I just do not see the appetite there anymore. Burren have a chance to win the league but I do not think there would be too much lost sleep over it. It would be hard on Clonduff who are in the league final and going for their first of silverware in a generation. What are the views from the hurling snobs? why did the senior hurling go ahead and not the other grades?

Snobs you say?  ;D ;D

I'd say senior hurling went ahead (championship only) and a smattering of Div1 and Div2 adult league games because of a shortage of referees and the issues of dual players in the likes of Liatroim, Clonduff and the likes.

A good few underage championships got completed with only a handful remaining but I was surprised at how quickly Croke Park pulled the plug but not shocked as the behaviour of some teams left them open for abuse.

Only surmising.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on October 06, 2020, 10:41:20 AM
Quote from: downjim on October 06, 2020, 10:08:41 AM

Snobs you say?  ;D ;D

I'd say senior hurling went ahead (championship only) and a smattering of Div1 and Div2 adult league games because of a shortage of referees and the issues of dual players in the likes of Liatroim, Clonduff and the likes.

A good few underage championships got completed with only a handful remaining but I was surprised at how quickly Croke Park pulled the plug but not shocked as the behaviour of some teams left them open for abuse.

Only surmising.

Think they were the main points. When they started the fixtures they were short of referees too - apparently initially a lot of the refs weren't keen on coming back but that seemed to ease as things got up and running. Junior and Intermediate hurling got pushed to get the football championship played first. Personally I thought they could of had both up and running at least straight after the football if not overlapping from the semi final stage. But we are where we are now.

Smurfy123

An outbreak in the Down squad
4 players tested positive
Hopefully that's all with it restarting in 10 days
Good to see more Kilcoo lads on the squad

urbangael

Outbreaks in Down squad. Fermanagh shut down and numerous other cases throughout the country. Is it realistic to expect the intercounty season to reach a conclusion? They'd fella arent professional getting paid thousands a week and tested on a regular basis. Does pounds come before player welfare in the GAA.

RedBlackPurpleGold

Would there be an objection to the hurling championships not going ahead, absolutely. These guys train like the footballers do, care like the footballers do so why should they not get their championship. The county board pay lip service to hurling and as long as it doesn't interfere with the footballer it's ok. Those championships should have been played but only the co board know why they didn't. As for hurling snobs they are as bad as football snobs. Both games are great

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: SamFever on October 08, 2020, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: RedBlackPurpleGold on October 08, 2020, 11:28:05 AM
Would there be an objection to the hurling championships not going ahead, absolutely. These guys train like the footballers do, care like the footballers do so why should they not get their championship. The county board pay lip service to hurling and as long as it doesn't interfere with the footballer it's ok. Those championships should have been played but only the co board know why they didn't. As for hurling snobs they are as bad as football snobs. Both games are great
The Calendar came out in June and there were no objections from the Clubs and I think this year, from what I have heard,produced the best SHC ever.There are casualties from this latest lockdown and the IHC,JHC and U19/21 competitions are part of that.
I know Ballela objected as the only hurling only club outside of the Ards but it made no difference. The junior and intermediate hurling fixtures weren't to be played during the football championships and that was it. A good SHC was great for those 4 teams but to make it out like its just tough shit to the rest is a bit much.

Johnnysboys

Managerial merry go round has started already with Burren and Dundrum management teams stepping aside during the week. Whoever takes the Burren role will have big pressure on their shoulders with this all conquering U17s team coming through and expected to challenge Kilcoo in the coming years.
I'd say there could be a number of changes in division one for 2021 with the exception of Carryduff, Kilcoo, Bryansford and Mayobridge..
Any other changes within Other clubs??

downjim

Has the season been cancelled yet? I cannot believe our press office have not made a statement, talk about leaving lads in limbo

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: downjim on October 09, 2020, 09:53:18 AM
Has the season been cancelled yet? I cannot believe our press office have not made a statement, talk about leaving lads in limbo
Spoke to someone on the CCC yesterday and they are holding on in the hope they get the hurling championships played.