All Stars of the Sunday Game era.

Started by Estimator, April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Do kerry have some sorta campaign goin or something? Spillane twice as many votes as the next man...I mean how many really mind him playing like? I'm no nipper and i only mine seeing him running around like a headless chicken agin down in 91.

And Then theres Marc O'Se..... ;D ;D which is still hilarious esp after watching Michael Meehans destruction of him in 2008. At the time I thought that this was the point that the consensus became that his POTY award was a farce.

lenny

Quote from: Estimator on May 09, 2020, 09:56:27 AM
According to the Podcast the Voting for the half forward line so far is:
1. P Spillane 5,300 votes
2. P Canavan 2,600
3. D Connolly 2,500
4. M Murphy
5. C McDonald
6. M Connor
7. C Kilkenny
8. M. Donnellan
9. D O'Sullivan
10. T Giles

There are only 500 votes separating Canavan and Connor

Donnellan, Murphy and Connolly for me. Tough choice though, the only one I would rule out is McDonald.

BennyCake

Tyrone man or not, Canavan is 100% in that line.  As is Murphy.

Donnellan just shades third place.

Connolly was on the bus home long ago.

From the Bunker

shark

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 10, 2020, 10:29:39 AM
Not a mention of Larry Tompkins?

Not a mention of 1987 to 1995 from start to finish. Tohill being an exception. I wonder why? Almost like that period of time didnt happen.

Gael85

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2020, 09:52:46 AM

Don't remember Canavan playing centre forward? He should be left corner forward. Matt Connor was a full forward. Michael Murphy was midfielder or full forward. Donnellan career was cut short by injury.

lenny

Quote from: Gael85 on May 10, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Don't remember Canavan playing centre forward? He should be left corner forward. Matt Connor was a full forward. Michael Murphy was midfielder or full forward. Donnellan career was cut short by injury.

Agree about canavan, I don't remember him playing a lot of county football in the half forward line.

Estimator

Quote from: lenny on May 10, 2020, 11:23:25 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on May 10, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Agree about canavan, I don't remember him playing a lot of county football in the half forward line.

Spillane and Cavanagh were on the podcast. And the topic of where players were being selected came up. Spillane believed that Canavan shouldn't be selected in the HF line as he was primarily a corner forward.  He went on to say that if you asked Tyrone people to name their best ever Tyrone 'Half Forward' Line, Canavan wouldn't be considered. He was glowing in his praise for Frank McGuigan (having played with him in NYC). Pat reckoned that the best Tyrone HF line would be Dooher / Frank / Brian McGuigan. Cavanagh agreed in the sense that when you think about Peter, its him playing in the full forward line scoring from all angles.  For me, he is definitely on the team, but he should be in Corner Forward.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Maroon Manc

I've always thought Tompkins was underrated, the best player in the country from 1987-1990 although I was only a kid. You only have to listen to what the Meath players say about him and how most of their pre-match talks were about stopping Tompkins; His free taking was outrageous too, the free against Mayo from the Hogan stand side is about as good as you'd ever see as was his free against Meath which should have won the 1988 All Ireland. Looking at that list of the genuine centre half forwards I'd pick Tompkins over Blaney, Fallon, McDonald, McGuigan & Giles.

BennyCake

Blaney! Forgot about him.

Donnellan out, Blaney in.

Canavan a corner forward yes, but sure positions mean feck all now when it comes to awards or all stars.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 10, 2020, 12:09:57 PM

I've always thought Tompkins was underrated, the best player in the country from 1987-1990 although I was only a kid. You only have to listen to what the Meath players say about him and how most of their pre-match talks were about stopping Tompkins; His free taking was outrageous too, the free against Mayo from the Hogan stand side is about as good as you'd ever see as was his free against Meath which should have won the 1988 All Ireland. Looking at that list of the genuine centre half forwards I'd pick Tompkins over Blaney, Fallon, McDonald, McGuigan & Giles.

+1

Larry Tompkins has 6 Munster football titles! Cork won 7 titles between 1987 and 1995! Tompkins had a huge say in the domination over Kerry during this period!

From the Bunker

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 10, 2020, 05:24:06 AM
Do kerry have some sorta campaign goin or something? Spillane twice as many votes as the next man...I mean how many really mind him playing like? I'm no nipper and i only mine seeing him running around like a headless chicken agin down in 91.

And Then theres Marc O'Se..... ;D ;D which is still hilarious esp after watching Michael Meehans destruction of him in 2008. At the time I thought that this was the point that the consensus became that his POTY award was a farce.

Spillane was 36 in 1991. He was in his 17th year as a Kerry Footballer and one of the pioneers to make a come back from Cruciate ligament injury in 1983, when the such an injury meant the end of ones sporting career back then. To surmise that he was useless based on a performance in 1991 when he was an old man (football wise) is madness.

If there is any gripe about Spillane being picked as a half forward, it's that he rarely play there. He played all over the pitch. The lad in his prime was everywhere on the pitch! And that half of his best football was played pre-1980.

omaghjoe

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 10, 2020, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 10, 2020, 05:24:06 AM

Spillane was 36 in 1991. He was in his 17th year as a Kerry Footballer and one of the pioneers to make a come back from Cruciate ligament injury in 1983, when the such an injury meant the end of ones sporting career back then. To surmise that he was useless based on a performance in 1991 when he was an old man (football wise) is madness.

If there is any gripe about Spillane being picked as a half forward, it's that he rarely play there. He played all over the pitch. The lad in his prime was everywhere on the pitch! And that half of his best football was played pre-1980.

My point is that it's been 30 years since he played and prob nearly 40 since his prime, your prob ruling out half the viewing public in that case but still hes got twice as many as anyone else.
To vote for him based on what others declare him to be is madness

mouview

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2020, 12:29:36 PM
Blaney! Forgot about him.

Donnellan out, Blaney in.

Canavan a corner forward yes, but sure positions mean feck all now when it comes to awards or all stars.

In terms of pure talent or ability, Donnellan must be first name included. As was said though, a career curtailed by injury.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 10, 2020, 12:09:57 PM

He kicked the equalising point from a free with the last kick of the game in the AI semi final against Galway in 87 too. Although it was never a free in the first place I might add.