All Stars of the Sunday Game era.

Started by Estimator, April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2020, 08:33:17 PM
Keegan very good no doubt but not best ever territory imo. Marc O'Se the same.

Keegan has excellent scoring rate for a defender. Scored 7-43 in 54 championship games.

Maroon Manc

He may not look like the most natural of footballers but Keegan was exceptionally effective, he was a brilliant man marker and always was able to kick a score too; I think he's got 2 goals in AI finals.

Mark O'Se has no business in that team.

Taylor

I wouldnt dispute Keegan in that team - not only did he kick scores but many times he was tasked with a man marking job as well.

The issue I have would be playing him at number 6 - I think he played number 5 in almost every big game.

Moving the counters to fit certain players in  ::)

TheGreatest

I would not dispute Keegan in that team also, he was/is consistently top 5 player in the country. Is he the best wing back over the last 30 years? different era's etc.

Being biased, and i am biased, i would have James McCarthy in there somewhere, Jordan too, its really hard to leave players out also. Everyone remembers AI winners and finals, those players get the spotlight.

seafoid

Quote from: gaafan2 on April 29, 2020, 10:54:24 AM
Quote from: trailer on April 29, 2020, 09:43:24 AM
Philip Jordan best half back of his generation. Farcical not to include him. It's a team picked on who is best connected in Donnybrook.

Philip Jordan wasn't even mentioned by the panel as unlucky to miss out even though they mentioned 15 odd other players.

That Tyrone team won 3 all Irelands during that period yet Ricey McMenamin was the only player mentioned  ??? :o

Irish Times

"Football's big two, Dublin and Kerry, have 12 of the last 17 All-Irelands"

They usually win half of the Sams.
They will predominate in All Stars over 40 years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

The current voting is for midfield

I would go for Jack O'Shea and Anthony Tohill

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0420/1132686-all-stars-of-the-sunday-game-era-football-midfield/

The List
Dermot Earley (Roscommon)
Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
Jack O'Shea (Kerry)
Seán Walsh (Kerry)
Willie Joe Padden (Mayo)
Plunkett Donaghy (Tyrone)
Gerry McEntee (Meath)
Brian McGilligan (Derry)
Shea Fahy (Cork)
Liam Hayes (Meath)
Teddy McCarthy (Cork)
Anthony Molloy (Donegal)
Anthony Tohill (Derry)
Brian Stynes (Dublin)
Liam McHale (Mayo)
John McDermott (Meath)
Niall Buckley (Kildare)
Kevin Walsh (Galway)
Ciarán Whelan (Dublin)
Darragh Ó Sé (Kerry)
Paul McGrane (Armagh)
Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Dermot Earley (Kildare)
Bryan Sheehan (Kerry)
Michael Darragh MacAuley (Dublin)
Aidan Walsh (Cork)
Neil Gallagher (Donegal)
Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
David Moran (Kerry)
Brian Howard

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

shark

Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2020, 05:29:35 PM
Aidan Walsh?

Seriously?

I guess from 2010 to 2012 his performances were top class. Since then, not so much.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: shark on April 30, 2020, 05:50:24 PM
Aidan Walsh?

Seriously?

I guess from 2010 to 2012 his performances were top class. Since then, not so much.

I was shocked to read this morning he had 2 All Stars.

Angelo

Quote from: shark on April 30, 2020, 05:50:24 PM
Aidan Walsh?

Seriously?

With all due respect his performances were not top class. He had a good game in the final against a Down side that had no real midfield and the chap could not kick a ball straight. He was a big mullocker in a team of big mullockers for a side who won the softest All Ireland in the last 40 years.

Angelo

Surely there are also better options than Brian Sheehan there who was a bit part player for Kerry for most of his career?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Estimator on April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM
Has anyone else been keeping an eye on the formation of these teams?

Over the last 40 years, The Sunday Game has brought the GAA football and hurling championships into your homes.

And now, we want you to help us choose the best XV in each code of the TV era - picking the best XV from All-Star winners of the Sunday Game era (1979-present)

They've already voted for the goalkeeper and both full back and half back lines.  And voting is open for midfield.

The team so far is:

1. Cluxton
2. Paídí
3. Moynihan
4. Marc O'Sé
5. McCaffrey
6. Keegan
7. Tomas O'Sé
Give me McKeever, Scullion and Lockhart over that full back line.

thewobbler

Tier 1 is O'Shea, Tohill, Fenton and Cavanagh.

Then this huge gap.

To the point that voting on anyone else is daft.

ardtole

I'm 45 years of age and the best full back I've seen was Barry Owens  (fermanagh), class act. Seamus Moynihan was a centre half back, he was only plugging gaps at full back. Ronan Clarke and Pauric Joyce both took him to the cleaners in All Ireland finals.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: ardtole on May 01, 2020, 10:15:12 AM
I'm 45 years of age and the best full back I've seen was Barry Owens  (fermanagh), class act. Seamus Moynihan was a centre half back, he was only plugging gaps at full back. Ronan Clarke and Pauric Joyce both took him to the cleaners in All Ireland finals.

I would have Darren Fay well ahead of Moynihan who was a filler in as a FB.