Armagh v Dublin 1977 All-Ireland Final

Started by Orior, May 16, 2020, 05:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Good article in today's Irish News on Gerry O'Neill, manager of the Armagh team in 1977.

There will a whole new group of people realising the Martin O'Neill's older brother managed Armagh.

I probably knew this but forgot it. Armagh played Dublin in Parnell Park as a warm up, lost narrowly, but gave enough clues away to let the Dubs come up with a cunning plan for the actual final.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tyrdub

First All Ireland Final I attended, my dad lifted me over the stiles 8 years old, been in love with the Dubs ever since

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Orior on May 16, 2020, 05:03:36 PM
Good article in today's Irish News on Gerry O'Neill, manager of the Armagh team in 1977.

There will a whole new group of people realising the Martin O'Neill's older brother managed Armagh.

I probably knew this but forgot it. Armagh played Dublin in Parnell Park as a warm up, lost narrowly, but gave enough clues away to let the Dubs come up with a cunning plan for the actual final.

I was at the Parnell Park game and I remember being very impressed by how good Armagh were - although no one in Dublin was thinking of the final at that time. We still had to take on Kerry. When it came to the final I suspect that Armagh might have shown their hand too early at Parnell Park that night. At the very least it might have been a tighter final if it were the first meeting of the two teams.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

APM

How long before the final was the game in Parnell Park?

dec

Quote from: Orior on May 16, 2020, 05:03:36 PM

Gerry taught me Irish at St. Colman's. Sometimes the discussions in class turned to matters other than Irish.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: APM on May 18, 2020, 11:30:14 AM
How long before the final was the game in Parnell Park?

I honestly can't remember when that game was. But I do remember that no one there that night thought of it as a dress rehearsal for the All Ireland Final. It might have been a warm up game by both teams before their provincial finals.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8