Monaghan v Ros, Middle of nowhere 19th March

Started by Rossfan, March 13, 2017, 09:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: straightred on March 14, 2017, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2017, 12:03:20 PM
I wonder how long Monaghan can stay in D1. The team seems to have peaked and the older lads have been retiring.

It will always be a struggle for them but they have done remarkably well and they also seem to have brought a few new players in this year. If you look at this population list you have to say that Rossies, Cavan and monaghan are all boxing way above their weight evenin being in div 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

They must all be doing something right at grass roots organisational level to be competing at the top level while others with vastly greater populations are languishing below them (e.g. Meath, Kildare, Cork and Galway).

Benefits of concentrating on one code.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 15, 2017, 09:40:32 AM
I wonder how long Monaghan can stay in D1. The team seems to have peaked and the older lads have been retiring.

It will always be a struggle for them but they have done remarkably well and they also seem to have brought a few new players in this year. If you look at this population list you have to say that Rossies, Cavan and monaghan are all boxing way above their weight evenin being in div 1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

They must all be doing something right at grass roots organisational level to be competing at the top level while others with vastly greater populations are languishing below them (e.g. Meath, Kildare, Cork and Galway).

Galway is a strange county that way. South concentrates on hurling, north and west football. Obviously exceptions I'm sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 15, 2017, 09:53:44 AM

Galway is a strange county that way. South concentrates on hurling, north and west football. Obviously exceptions I'm sure.

Most dual counties are that way, football here, hurling there.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Syferus

Hurling is a lot stronger in Roscommon than in Cavan or even Monaghan. What other excuses do ya have?

Main Street

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 14, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
As long as Malachy O'Rourke remains as manager.
We are doing well under Malachy but we'd like to do better.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Main Street on March 15, 2017, 11:31:01 AM

Dont get ahead of yourselves though, Some people taught the same in Roscommon during Evans era and we shafted him sending us back years IMO

Syferus

Quote from: oliverkelly on March 15, 2017, 11:47:19 AM

Dont get ahead of yourselves though, Some people taught the same in Roscommon during Evans era and we shafted him sending us back years IMO

It can't have set us back years when we weren't winning championship matches under Evans. At least O'Rourke won a few Ulster Senior Rugby Championship titles.

oliverkelly

Quote from: Syferus on March 15, 2017, 11:57:30 AM

It can't have set us back years when we weren't winning championship matches under Evans. At least O'Rourke won a few Ulster Senior Rugby Championship titles.

In my opinion it has Syf. We are back to square one now we a young team and really we are a D2 side at present. Under Evans we had made steady progress in 2014(Within a point of Mayo) and 2015(Got to D1), I agree championship performances were not the best but we were riddled with injuries in 2015 and still would have beaten Sligo and Fermanagh had we not been hard done by match officaials in both games. The point i was making to Main Street Malachy O'Rourke is one of the top managers in the game at the minute and although poster would like see them do better i think they are doing unbelieveable well with resources available to them i.e Population.

Anyway on the game i feel this is a game we might get something out of, No pressure as we are all but gone down. Few injuries clearing up and the good weather will have the pitches in better condition which will suit us better anyway.

Maroon Manc

How many club does Monaghan have?

If they can win an Ulster final you'd have to fancy them to finally win a quarter final. When was the last time Monaghan won a championship game in Croke Park?

cluaineois

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 15, 2017, 02:06:04 PM
How many club does Monaghan have?

If they can win an Ulster final you'd have to fancy them to finally win a quarter final. When was the last time Monaghan won a championship game in Croke Park?
2014 v Kildare
once your a clone your never alone

Rossfan

Jases Oliver you changing your tune?
Last year McStay was a combination of God and Superman :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

oliverkelly

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2017, 03:23:33 PM
Jases Oliver you changing your tune?
Last year McStay was a combination of God and Superman :o

I was always an Evans fan Rossfan and feel our biggest mistake was getting rid of him. I dont think i have ever really came out and praising McStay and and made him out to be any sort of god but i have always said i would prefer him over O'Donnell.

Main Street

We'd like to do better under Malachy.
I think Malachy would agree.
That's not getting ahead of ourselves, that's pushing on from the plateau where we tend to linger,
securing Div 1 status, an ulster final and a game in Croke Park (things we variously achieve, don't achieve or really achieve in)

But first things first, let's do much better against Roscommon :D

Syferus

Patterson, Corc and Featherston in for us. Good changes.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM