Celebrity Bainnisteor

Started by Barney, February 06, 2008, 08:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

gong by this report he got a awful injury.  can't understand why rte decided to edit this out.

http://www.impartialreporter.com/news/roundup/articles/2010/08/19/392041-100-stitches-in-head-wound-for-celebrity-gaa-player/

100 stitches in head wound for Celebrity GAA player

A well-known player for Irvinestown St. Molaise GFC received such as bad head injury in a match during the filming for RTE's Celebrity Bainisteoir at the weekend that the surgeon treating him lost count of the number of stitches she applied to the wound.

It's estimated that 31-year-old Conor Doonan, a civil engineer, has more than 100 stitches in his head after he hit a concrete post at the side of the pitch as he played centre half-back in a game against Nobber on Saturday. It was being filmed as part of the Celebrity Bainisteoir programme which is due to be screened in October. Comedian Andrew Maxwell was the Irvinestown team's manager. Unfortunately, the Fermanagh side lost 2-10 to 1-15.

It was ten minutes before the end of the game that the accident happened.

He was taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital where he underwent surgery for two hours.

Irvinestown club chairman, Mr. Liam Donnelly visited the injured player at his home after he was released from the Drogheda hospital earlier this week. "He got a bad gash all right. He has well over 100 stitches in his head. During the match with ten minutes to go one of the Nobber players went for the ball. There were big posts at the side of the pitch and his head came in contact with the post. It spoiled the day. Andrew Maxwell was very concerned. Conor would have been one of his main players and would have been filmed a lot being interviewed," he said.

Mr. Doonan is a member of the well-known Doonan family of Irvinestown. Married to Blaithin, they live in Ballinderry. His mother, Mrs. Sheila Doonan, said that it had been a worrying time for her family. "It is going to be a process now and he is trying to get better again. There is a lot of convalescing to do. The surgeon said she lost count of the stitches. His eye is still closed".

The family acknowledges the excellent work by surgeon Ms. Carton, the A&E staff at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital and Mrs. Denise Donnelly, St. Molaise team nurse. They thank all well-wishers with messages and support and prayers from Irvinestown, Ballinderry and the Gaelic world in particular.

The Celebrity Bainisteaoir programme will be seen by a huge audience. It attracts the third highest audience figures on RTE after the news and The Late Late Show.

"It does not do Irvinestown any harm. People will see it in a way they have never seen it before," said Mr. Donnelly.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

King Henry

When are they ever going to make a hurling edition of this?
It is our national sport after all,though I suppose it is easier train footballers than hurlers,hurling being more skillful and all that.
I'll think of Molly while sun and moon shine
On the banks of the Suir that flows down by Mooncoin

haze

Quote from: King Henry on October 04, 2010, 03:43:36 PM
It is our national sport after all,though I suppose it is easier train footballers than hurlers,hurling being more skillful and all that.

I love it when hurling people have a chip on their shoulder! Hurling is one of our national sports- no more, no less.

Maybe there has been no hurling series as RTE recognise the fact that bad football is easier on the eye to bad hurling- Also would be very difficult to pick intermediate teams of similar standard from any 8 of Cork, Waterford, Tipp, Offaly, Wexford, Kilkenny, Limerick, Galway, Clare, Dublin. I'd imagine the standards would vary significantly more than would be the case in football

Hardy

Quote from: haze on October 04, 2010, 04:23:08 PM

I love it when hurling people have a chip on their shoulder! Hurling is one of our national sports- no more, no less.

Maybe there has been no hurling series as RTE recognise the fact that bad football is easier on the eye to bad hurling- Also would be very difficult to pick intermediate teams of similar standard from any 8 of Cork, Waterford, Tipp, Offaly, Wexford, Kilkenny, Limerick, Galway, Clare, Dublin. I'd imagine the standards would vary significantly more than would be the case in football

Are hurling people naturally inclined to be pains in the arse or do they go out of their way to do it?

King Henry

Quote from: Hardy on October 04, 2010, 04:39:27 PM
Quote from: haze on October 04, 2010, 04:23:08 PM

Are hurling people naturally inclined to be pains in the arse or do they go out of their way to do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXoNE14U_zM

I'll think of Molly while sun and moon shine
On the banks of the Suir that flows down by Mooncoin

Jinxy

Doesn't look like the Nobber boys had a whole pile of interest in this after winning the Intermediate.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

fearglasmor

Dislike that Blaithnaid one anyway.  Gimme Mairead any day.

Havent heard aru cha cha aru cha cha since I was playing u-21 meself.

Jinxy

Quote from: fearglasmor on October 24, 2010, 09:51:34 PM

I got the feeling the Nobber lads weren't mad about her either.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: fearglasmor on October 24, 2010, 09:51:34 PM

I always wondered whether we would meet again.

aru cha cha aru cha cha [muppet scored only goal of his life] aru cha cha aru cha cha.

Pleasant memories.......
MWWSI 2017