Dead leg

Started by The Claw, January 11, 2008, 09:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Lads i've a hoor of a dead leg, i need to get rid of it for sunday, anyone know any quick fit solutions. Ice? Ice and heat? Oruveil gel? Rub it out?

AbbeySider

Get a physio to work it out ASAP.
The impact on the quadraceptor makes your muscle crash against your bone in your leg causing bleeding or brusing on the inside of the muscle. The quicker that gets worked out the better. After physio on a dead leg you will find the area around it going black because the blood is worked out of the area. Also Ice it, and compression in the form of a support helps but consult the physio.

A deadleg is a sore one and ul be lucky to be back before Sunday man. Good luck with it

orangeman

Heat first and a lot of massging of the affedted area.

lynchbhoy

yer not meant to touch any injuries in the first 24-48 hours are you not ?
RICE should be observerd

Rest the leg/inj - to allow it to recover and start healing, the blood will congeal within.
Ice the inj as much as possible inthe first 24 -48 hours
Compress the inj with bandages to stop the swelling
Elevate the leg, when sitting, try to have the area inj above your heart, A bit difficult if its a dead leg - you'll be upside down !

Massage it yourself ...after initial 'leave alone' period is over , just massage this as much as possible. If its the quad, or the side of the quad, its virtually impossible to get this right in a week let alone a couple of days.

then again this technique is 15 years old and what I used...

Jinxy

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 11, 2008, 09:43:13 AM
The impact on the quadraceptor makes your muscle crash against your bone in your leg causing bleeding or brusing on the inside of the muscle. The quicker that gets worked out the better. After physio on a dead leg you will find the area around it going black because the blood is worked out of the area. Also Ice it, and compression in the form of a support helps but consult the physio.

A deadleg is a sore one and ul be lucky to be back before Sunday man. Good luck with it

What the dickens is that?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Uladh

do nothing beyond ice for the first 48 hours. certainly do not stretch it in this period. then mobility and physio work. if its any sort of decent dead leg you can forget about sunday.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on January 11, 2008, 10:29:20 AM

I think I saw one of them in Jurassic Park. Big lads with huge teeth.

North Longford

No massage for 48 hours min.
Ice every couple of hours for 20 minutes.....careful of ice burn.....no heat for first couple of days as it will encourage inflammation
Compression bandage for couple of days at least
Rest too if you can
After 48 hours gentle contractions and gentle stretch....don't cause too much pain doing this, should only be very slight.
Going to Physio/Physical Therapist or the like would be beneficial at this stage. They can rub it out and will no whether its a good idea to rub it or not. Need to be careful if there is a lot of bruising.
If it's a decent dead leg you'll do very well to play within a week.

To everyone, in general with most injuries doing the RICE protocol diligently immediately after the injury will speed up recovery time greatly

AbbeySider

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2008, 10:31:48 AM
The impact on the quadraceptor makes your muscle

LAMO!!  :D  :D  :D

Meant "quadriceps" of course  :-[

5 Sams

In my day we used to run it off ;)
The Aristocrat Years

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2008, 10:31:48 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 11, 2008, 10:29:20 AM

Nah. They were the small and vicious ones that hunted in packs. Won the Ulster title back in -300,001,998.

Easy mistake to make though.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

The Claw

Before if ive had a dead leg i just warm it up and it doesnt really effect me during the game but then after the game it comes back twice as bad, surely this isnt that bad of an idea since its just a bruised muscle?

lynchbhoy

..meant to say that if it isnt too bad, you can jog for a while and build up - just before the game and you'll get by playing when the adrenaline kicks in - but you wont be near right..
only should attempt this if you HAVE to play and its a championship game - so this time of year yer better resting yourself or playing in goals.

but 5Sams might be right
'throw a bit of water on it and you'll be grand'  :D

AbbeySider

Quote from: The Claw on January 11, 2008, 02:10:27 PM
Before if ive had a dead leg i just warm it up and it doesnt really effect me during the game but then after the game it comes back twice as bad, surely this isnt that bad of an idea since its just a bruised muscle?

A dead leg is not really a bruised muscle. It can be torn and bleeding inside the muscle.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 11, 2008, 02:33:22 PM
Quote from: The Claw on January 11, 2008, 02:10:27 PM

A dead leg is not really a bruised muscle. It can be torn and bleeding inside the muscle.

Maybe that's what happened to me last year. Couldn't stretch it properly for months afterwards...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...