Joe Corcoran rip

Started by giveballaghback, October 26, 2017, 10:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveballaghback

Sad to hear the great Joe Corcoran has passed to his eternal reward. In my 60 years watching Connacht football I consider him to one of the finest I have seen,  the most gifted of them all in my opinion, could do anything with a ball. I have seen all of the great forwards in that time but jinkin Joe was special.
Sympathy to his family and friends. R.I.P.

mrhardyannual

Many lists made of players who never won an All Ireland but Joe never even played in a final. Sean Rice termed him "Mercurial". In an age when we barely had one tv channel he was a hero to all us young lads in Mayo. People marvel at the point kicking of Maurice Fitz, Padraig Joyce, Ciaran Mac etc but Joe kicked sodden balls from the ground from impossible angles and distances. One of a kind. R.I.P.

Syferus

He was part of the last Railway Cup panel from Connacht to win (before 2015) in 1969. That team by itself would have made a fine Connacht Team of the Millenium.

whitey

If I recall correctly there was some dispute between Joe and the County Board. Don't know the specifics, but in typical Mayo fashion, the CB had to rein in a player who was seen to be rising above his station. My parents lived in Ballina in the late 60s and heard the inside scoop