The GAA - has it lost , did it ever have, a ‘radical/Republican’ connection?

Started by theticklemister, January 28, 2018, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
A few years ago over on Willie Joes blog, someone claiming to be a big Mayo supporter and a Muslim floated the idea of changing the crest (again) because "Criost Linn" was not an inclusive message.

That was Syferus.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

stephenite

Quote from: Jinxy on January 29, 2018, 07:22:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 29, 2018, 01:24:05 PM
A few years ago over on Willie Joes blog, someone claiming to be a big Mayo supporter and a Muslim floated the idea of changing the crest (again) because "Criost Linn" was not an inclusive message.

That was Syferus.

It should be moved anyway - f**k all use it's done us.

tippabu

Our senior hurling trophy is named after Dan Breen and I hope nobodies gonna come along and try change the name because it's too republican

AZOffaly

Quote from: tippabu on January 31, 2018, 10:56:55 AM
Our senior hurling trophy is named after Dan Breen and I hope nobodies gonna come along and try change the name because it's too republican

I think Tipp is fairly well established in that area. Sean Treacy's club as well. Our Pitch in Newport is called after Paddy Ryan (Lacken).  Add in Kilruane McDonagh's and McDonagh Park in Nenagh and it's coming down with old republicans :) And don't forget the entire panel and Timmy Floyd (county sec.) singing the Galtee Mountain Boy in the dressing room after the hurling All Ireland in 2016.