Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 07, 2017, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 06, 2017, 08:53:22 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 06, 2017, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 04, 2017, 12:14:34 AM
Found the interview by Lyster with Jim Galvin - with Jim Showing off his medals for service a bit of an "[i]up his own arse[/i]" moment! That and the way he danced around questions with the Bertie Ahernesque stutter!

Think your been very harsh on Jim. Is very passionate about his job and is most certainly not not up his own arse.

Yeah agree, some people just cant help themselves when it comes to him.

I wouldn't worry about the begrudgers. Jealousy no doubt plays a part. Id imagine if Gavin had have been managing Mayo the last few years, the curse would have been well and truly broken

Does people in 2017 actually believe in curses?
Seems like they do, unfortunately. Not that anyone would admit it openly but it's hard for many not to believe that Mayo's bizarre run of AI looses can be put down to bad luck alone.
For those who still believe in pisreogs and superstitions and the likes, and there are many of them, there's something unnatural about Mayo's knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
My father told me that the craic about a cranky priest being disturbed during a funeral mass by the motorcade of cars passing by his church at the time could never had happened. For one thing, there weren't victory processions of that sort at that time. People didn't have the money to spend on fuel unless it was absolutely necessary and hawking the cup and the team from town to town would have been a luxury that most people could not afford.
Apart from that, Padraig Carney, one of the players still alive, said that the team returned to Mayo by car. Some had their own cars, while the rest got lifts but they didn't travel together in a group either. Still, there are people who believe in this nonsense and I'm afraid that the players are only human and might be affected by the bad vibes coming from some of the supporters.

The late great Willie Casey (who is actually in the team photo in 51) also told me as was told to him by Paddy Moclair, that the exact same curse fairytale was attached to the 1930's Mayo team that only gleaned one All Ireland during the 6 in a row league success.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 07, 2017, 02:18:22 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 06, 2017, 08:53:22 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 06, 2017, 01:32:30 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on November 06, 2017, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: Gael85 on November 06, 2017, 11:24:42 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 04, 2017, 12:14:34 AM
Found the interview by Lyster with Jim Galvin - with Jim Showing off his medals for service a bit of an "[i]up his own arse[/i]" moment! That and the way he danced around questions with the Bertie Ahernesque stutter!

Think your been very harsh on Jim. Is very passionate about his job and is most certainly not not up his own arse.

Yeah agree, some people just cant help themselves when it comes to him.

I wouldn't worry about the begrudgers. Jealousy no doubt plays a part. Id imagine if Gavin had have been managing Mayo the last few years, the curse would have been well and truly broken

Does people in 2017 actually believe in curses?
Seems like they do, unfortunately. Not that anyone would admit it openly but it's hard for many not to believe that Mayo's bizarre run of AI looses can be put down to bad luck alone.
For those who still believe in pisreogs and superstitions and the likes, and there are many of them, there's something unnatural about Mayo's knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
My father told me that the craic about a cranky priest being disturbed during a funeral mass by the motorcade of cars passing by his church at the time could never had happened. For one thing, there weren't victory processions of that sort at that time. People didn't have the money to spend on fuel unless it was absolutely necessary and hawking the cup and the team from town to town would have been a luxury that most people could not afford.
Apart from that, Padraig Carney, one of the players still alive, said that the team returned to Mayo by car. Some had their own cars, while the rest got lifts but they didn't travel together in a group either. Still, there are people who believe in this nonsense and I'm afraid that the players are only human and might be affected by the bad vibes coming from some of the supporters.

Paddy Prendergast has said - "Counties weren't as accommodating as they are today and there weren't cars running all over the place. We travelled by truck from Charlestown to Ballina in the back of a lorry and stopped in Swinford and Foxford.

"We stopped at every town. When we arrived in Foxford there was a funeral and we were in the truck with very high cribs at that time.

"Apparently there was a funeral and standing around the church, which is some distance from the square, there was a few people standing outside. But we weren't getting out of the truck or anything else.''

He said the Cribs stopped the players from being able to dismount the Trailer.

"But they always said afterwards, 'Ah because the priest said [what he said] Mayo will never win an All-Ireland and that's the curse."

seafoid

Galway hurlers were supposed to be cursed as well. Until 1980
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Trying to prove the curse doesn't exist is pretty funny.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2017, 03:13:54 PM

They had a Priest playing for them that year - Iggy Clarke. He had to sacrifice playing in the final so Galway would win! So they reenacted the escape to victory Moment and broke Iggy's arm!

I've heard the Galway footballers are Cursed from winning a Championship game in Croke Park. That one is as scary as Mayo's AI final hoodoo!

Rossfan

We all know the Rhubarbs will win Sam when they have no Ballagh players on their team/panel.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 07, 2017, 04:25:17 PM

They had a Priest playing for them that year - Iggy Clarke. He had to sacrifice playing in the final so Galway would win! So they reenacted the escape to victory Moment and broke Iggy's arm!

I've heard the Galway footballers are Cursed from winning a Championship game in Croke Park. That one is as scary as Mayo's AI final hoodoo!
When did Mayo win a semi.in CP before the 1989 championship ? Was it in the 50s?

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2017, 05:33:33 PM

When did Mayo win a semi.in CP before the 1989 championship ? Was it in the 50s?

Mayo only made 2 Championship appearances in Croker between 1955 and 1981! That's Two championship games in Croker in two and a half decades!

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 07, 2017, 05:57:36 PM

Mayo only made 2 Championship appearances in Croker between 1955 and 1981! That's Two championship games in Croker in two and a half decades!
Were semis played elsewhere or did they only win 2 Connacht finals ?

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2017, 06:07:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 07, 2017, 05:57:36 PM

Were semis played elsewhere or did they only win 2 Connacht finals ?

Two connacht titles during that period! 1967 and 1969!