2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 04, 2017, 11:08:50 AM
Maith thú  Padraig Kelly.
Those 3 sets of awards are probably far more logical than the main nonsense.
Pity there couldn't be D2,3 and 4 all stars in football.

American sports name First-Team, Second-Team, Third-Team All-Pro/All-Star teams. Seems a far fairer way to reward more than just the AI finalists in a sport like football where there isn't tiers in the summer.

maigheo

Charlie having a go at A.O.S in the Sunday world this morning.The surprise here is somebody paying Charlie for his views and writing them down for him. :)

seafoid

Is it the first Connacht double for hurler and footballer of the year ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/1102/828688-all-stars/

One of the most notable selection controversies occurred in 1994. Offaly wing-back Brian Whelehan was named Hurler of the Year in what was then a separate award sponsored by Texaco.

However, the Birr man failed to make the All-Star XV, mostly due to what Michael explains was a malfunctioning attempt to keep the team secret until its announcement.

"Brian Whelehan was left off the team, which caused ructions," he remembers. "But the problem wasn't that we left him off, the problem was we didn't know we'd left him off.

"There had been so many leaks [previously] and fellas spilling the beans that the committee eventually decided to have a secret ballot.

"But we didn't know the final team and the bit we overlooked was that if anyone saw a problem, there should have been a process to redress that.

"Brian was nominated in two positions and his vote was split between the two of them. He actually got more votes than anyone else but didn't win either of the two positions.

"We weren't aware of that until the night of the All Stars and that led to the changes in the process.

"As always happens in this country, there were theories of conspiracies and that we deliberately ignored him, but it was basically just a terrible mistake."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: maigheo on November 05, 2017, 02:20:58 PM
Charlie having a go at A.O.S in the Sunday world this morning.The surprise here is somebody paying Charlie for his views and writing them down for him. :)

It's the Sunday World they have been 20+ years paying Spillane to fill a column.

whitey

Quote from: maigheo on November 05, 2017, 02:20:58 PM

Unless I'm missing something Dublin double and triple mark O Se, leaving other Mayo players open.

I'm open to correction but Mayo seem to consistently score more from play against Dublin than any other team as a result

From the Bunker

In fairness he was saying McLoughlin deserved it more.

whitey

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 05, 2017, 05:18:36 PM

I was referring more to his statement that yet again AOS didn't score against Dublin in a final

Syferus

Quote from: whitey on November 05, 2017, 05:51:10 PM

I was referring more to his statement that yet again AOS didn't score against Dublin in a final

In fairness AOS doesn't score in most games. Not really in his arsenal. Biggest issue with AOS is him gassing in the final 15 and his opposite number running amok. James McCarthy was catapulted from no where to second favourite for the PotY for exactly that reason.

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on November 05, 2017, 05:55:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 05, 2017, 05:51:10 PM

In fairness AOS doesn't score in most games. Not really in his arsenal. Biggest issue with AOS is him gassing in the final 15 and his opposite number running amok. James McCarthy was catapulted from no where to second favourite for the PotY for exactly that reason.

Connolly doesn't score too much against Mayo.....he's still a brilliant player....we just have him figured out the same way the Dubs have AOS figured out

TheGreatest

Mayo keeper and 3 defenders in the All star team. Lost twice in championship and conceded an average of 1-13 a game. The annual GAA All star Mayo sympathy awards.

Moran deserved player of the year.

Cluxton deserved keeper spot, he is so good and was so good this year they had to change the rules of the game to try and contain him. I'm sure he doesn't mind with his 5 All Ireland medals. He shouldn't even bother going next year if nominated.

But always politics at play.

Farrandeelin

Agree wrt Cluxton not getting one. Was by a distance the best keeper all year in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 06, 2017, 09:12:47 AM
Agree wrt Cluxton not getting one. Was by a distance the best keeper all year in my opinion.

Cluxton played in a single competitive game all summer - you or I could have been the Dublin keeper in all but the AI final and the results would have been the same.

Clarke had a marathon summer and is the best shot stopper and the safest pair of hands under a high ball in the square in the country. He made a more meaningful contribution to his team's success this year than Cluxton did, if we're being honest about it.

Beffs

Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2017, 09:23:30 AM

Cluxton played in a single competitive game all summer - you or I could have been the Dublin keeper in all but the AI final and the results would have been the same.

Clarke had a marathon summer and is the best shot stopper and the safest pair of hands under a high ball in the square in the country. He made a more meaningful contribution to his team's success this year than Cluxton did, if we're being honest about it.

Mayo didn't win the league, their provincial championship or the All Ireland. They won zero silverware all year long. Ok, they got to the AI final, but in the AI series, they lost to Galway, needed extra time to beat non Division 1 counties Derry and Cork, struggled to beat Clare and failed to beat both Roscommon and Kerry in their first encounters. Shouldn't all that - and Clarke's role in it - be all be taken into account too, when judging who is or is not worthy of post season awards? Yes, Cluxton only had one tough game all summer, but he played a massive role in the big gulf in class between Dublin and their opponents all summer long. Yet he should be penalized for it at awards time and Clarke shouldn't?

Gael85

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 04, 2017, 12:14:34 AM
Found the interview by Lyster with Jim Galvin - with Jim Showing off his medals for service a bit of an "[i]up his own arse[/i]" moment! That and the way he danced around questions with the Bertie Ahernesque stutter!

Think your been very harsh on Jim. Is very passionate about his job and is most certainly not not up his own arse.