2017 All-Stars

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

The highest number of nominees for the Champions since ourselves in 2003 (13), and somewhat surprised that we've managed to garner 6 this time around. ;)

GOALKEEPERS
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), David Clarke (Mayo), Niall Morgan (Tyrone)

DEFENDERS
Jack McCaffrey, Cian O'Sullivan, Michael Fitzsimons, Philip McMahon, John Small, Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Keith Higgins, Lee Keegan, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle, Brendan Harrison (Mayo), Pádraig Hampsey, Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Paul Murphy, Tadhg Morley (Kerry), Conor Devanney (Roscommon), Caolan Mooney (Down), Fintan Kelly (Monaghan).

MIDFIELDERS
James McCarthy, Brian Fenton (Dublin), Tom Parsons (Mayo), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Enda Smith (Roscommon), Kevin Feely (Kildare).

FORWARDS
Andy Moran, Kevin McLoughlin, Aidan O'Shea, Jason Doherty, Cillian O'Connor (Mayo), Ciarán Kilkenny, Con O'Callaghan, Paul Mannion, Dean Rock (Dublin), Paul Geaney, Kieran Donaghy, James O'Donoghue (Kerry), Peter Harte, Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Connaire Harrison (Down), Patrick McBrearty (Donegal), Jamie Clarke (Armagh), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).

Footballer of the Year Nominees
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Young Footballer of the Year Nominees
Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)
Seán Powter (Cork)
Michael Daly (Galway)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

vallankumous

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 21, 2017, 10:03:26 AM

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Two names taken from the Sunday Game panel and two tokens.
Though I do think Andy Moran is an easy choice

stew

Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:09:06 AM

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Moran should get it, McCarthy will get it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

TabClear

Cavanagh the only realistic chance from the Tyrone men for me. McCann had a decent year but not enough to push out one of the big names. You could probably make a decent case for a team made up entirely from the finalists!

Moran for me on the Footballer of the year.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

How come there are four nominations for POTY? It's only ever been 3. Clarke has had a decent year but I wouldn't have him near POTY - Higgins, Boyle, AOS closer even just from a mayo perspective.

Maroon Manc

Just seen the TSG team of the year, I'd give Doherty an All Star ahead of AOS & McLaughlin.

I doubt Rock will be far away too after that performance last Sunday.

sid waddell

What odds would you get for Niall Morgan to win an All-Star?

His chances don't look good.

Could they not add him to the FOTY shortlist even at this late stage to make it worth his while turning up?

vallankumous

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
How come there are four nominations for POTY? It's only ever been 3. Clarke has had a decent year but I wouldn't have him near POTY - Higgins, Boyle, AOS closer even just from a mayo perspective.

Two Goal Keepers. if there was 1 goal keeper we would know who is getting the All Star

vallankumous

Quote from: sid waddell on September 21, 2017, 10:28:55 AM
What odds would you get for Niall Morgan to win an All-Star?

His chances don't look good.

Could they not add him to the FOTY shortlist even at this late stage to make it worth his while turning up?

He knows for a fact he's not getting it.

Orchard park

Quote from: TabClear on September 21, 2017, 10:15:56 AM
Cavanagh the only realistic chance from the Tyrone men for me. McCann had a decent year but not enough to push out one of the big names. You could probably make a decent case for a team made up entirely from the finalists!

Moran for me on the Footballer of the year.

i would have Hampsey ahead of McCann all day long

yellowcard

It's between Cluxton and Moran. Moran deserves it but it is effectively a popularity contest once it gets down to the nominations. Clarke and McCarthy have no chance and Cluxton may get a lot of sentimental votes due to his standing in the game. However Andy Moran will be very popular as well and based on performances he deserves it anyway.

David Moran and Donal Vaughan not even getting nominated are surprises. Vaughan is effectively getting punished twice for getting sent off but then again John Small was selected.

Orchard park

Quote from: yellowcard on September 21, 2017, 10:59:06 AM
It's between Cluxton and Moran. Moran deserves it but it is effectively a popularity contest once it gets down to the nominations. Clarke and McCarthy have no chance and Cluxton may get a lot of sentimental votes due to his standing in the game. However Andy Moran will be very popular as well and based on performances he deserves it anyway.

David Moran and Donal Vaughan not even getting nominated are surprises. Vaughan is effectively getting punished twice for getting sent off but then again John Small was selected.

are you serious about Donal Vaughan.         which 2 performances would you have him there for ???

BennyCake

Quote from: stew on September 21, 2017, 10:15:21 AM
Quote from: vallankumous on September 21, 2017, 10:09:06 AM

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Andy Moran (Mayo)
David Clarke (Mayo)

Moran should get it, McCarthy will get it.

+1

yellowcard

Quote from: Orchard park on September 21, 2017, 11:07:21 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 21, 2017, 10:59:06 AM

are you serious about Donal Vaughan.         which 2 performances would you have him there for ???

Didn't know that 2 good performances was the criteria for getting nominated. He has played consistently well without being outstanding but is getting slightly scapegoated for a rash decision in the final imo.