Munster Club Championships 2017

Started by Ball Hopper, September 18, 2017, 07:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 14, 2017, 09:20:25 PM
I never believed I would ever type this but come on Crokes!!! With us still only one behind Nemo I would prefer a Crokes win to ensure that we will get another chance to catch Nemo!!

Twas losing to your crowd that guided Crokes towards getting a bit of steel in the last 10 minutes of games.  They are clinical in closing out games now. Not pretty, cynical in parts, but effective.  They are also getting a bit of a reputation for antics on the sideline by team management, not only at senior level but down to underage levels as well.  Something to watch out for in the future.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on November 14, 2017, 08:42:58 PM
It's funny, on paper I think this Crokes squad are a good 7/8 pts better than Nemo, but games aren't won on paper..

The last time these clubs met Nemo absolutely wiped them in the 1st half and were 13 up at half-time only for a sensational comeback by Crokes to narrow it to 2 before the finish. That was over 6 years ago and although some players remain on both sides, these are 2 very different squads.
Crokes are starting to look like the kind of team and squad they thought they were 2/3 years ago (when they weren't) and they are dispatching teams like Clonmel and Quilty easily enough. Nemo won a Cork championship that isn't of a very high quality at the moment, but they too are battle-hardened. They came through 2 games against big rivals St Finbarrs after an epic game with UCC in the quarter final aswell. In Luke Connolly, Kerrigan and Barry O'Driscoll they possess attacking weapons capable of troubling any club team.

Crokes however have a seriously powerful attack and it takes a serious group of defenders with a lot of cover to hold them I think right now. Johnny Buckley is flying in midfield and Crokes have finally learned to cover up well at the back and are capable of being as hard to break down as anyone.

The fact it's on in Páirc uí Rinn (as opposed to the bigger pitch down the road) and the fact it's Nemo and they fear nobody means this is harder to call than it should be, but just don't see Nemo holding that Crokes forward unit to a low enough score to win. Crokes by 4.

Was talking to someone who was at both the Nemo v Finbarrs games and he gives Nemo next to no chance against Crokes - he said that they are miles off being serious contenders in terms of the club All-Ireland. He said there was just no way any sort of serious outfit would have left Finbarrs back into it the first day to get the draw. The standard of club football in Cork is poor enough; despite a large number of clubs - and Cork clubs' record in Munster the last few years has been very patchy. I think a Crokes v Slaughtneil semi-final beckons.

shark

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 14, 2017, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on November 14, 2017, 08:42:58 PM
It's funny, on paper I think this Crokes squad are a good 7/8 pts better than Nemo, but games aren't won on paper..

The last time these clubs met Nemo absolutely wiped them in the 1st half and were 13 up at half-time only for a sensational comeback by Crokes to narrow it to 2 before the finish. That was over 6 years ago and although some players remain on both sides, these are 2 very different squads.
Crokes are starting to look like the kind of team and squad they thought they were 2/3 years ago (when they weren't) and they are dispatching teams like Clonmel and Quilty easily enough. Nemo won a Cork championship that isn't of a very high quality at the moment, but they too are battle-hardened. They came through 2 games against big rivals St Finbarrs after an epic game with UCC in the quarter final aswell. In Luke Connolly, Kerrigan and Barry O'Driscoll they possess attacking weapons capable of troubling any club team.

Crokes however have a seriously powerful attack and it takes a serious group of defenders with a lot of cover to hold them I think right now. Johnny Buckley is flying in midfield and Crokes have finally learned to cover up well at the back and are capable of being as hard to break down as anyone.

The fact it's on in Páirc uí Rinn (as opposed to the bigger pitch down the road) and the fact it's Nemo and they fear nobody means this is harder to call than it should be, but just don't see Nemo holding that Crokes forward unit to a low enough score to win. Crokes by 4.

Was talking to someone who was at both the Nemo v Finbarrs games and he gives Nemo next to no chance against Crokes - he said that they are miles off being serious contenders in terms of the club All-Ireland. He said there was just no way any sort of serious outfit would have left Finbarrs back into it the first day to get the draw. The standard of club football in Cork is poor enough; despite a large number of clubs - and Cork clubs' record in Munster the last few years has been very patchy. I think a Crokes v Slaughtneil semi-final beckons.

I was at the drawn game. Nemo's problem in the second half was they got utterly destroyed at midfield. Their two midfielders seem like good footballers, but are not the biggest. For some reason they refused to try and go short on kick outs. Their back line is decent, without being amazing. And they are missing 2 of them now, including T O'Se. Their forward line is very good. They know how to create space for one another and in Connolly they have a man in the form of his life.
However, as you say, they haven't met a team like Crokes yet. Nemo will need to score goals to win, and Crokes don't tend to give them up to easily.

Ball Hopper

An Ghaeltacht/ St. Senan's Intermediate Football Final on 26 Nov switched to Tralee by agreement of both clubs.

AZOffaly

Dromid beat a very game and strong Galtee Gaels in Dromid on Saturday. 2-17 to 3-10 after extra time. Great scoring for junior football on a heavy pitch in November.

ashman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 19, 2017, 04:35:12 PM
Dromid beat a very game and strong Galtee Gaels in Dromid on Saturday. 2-17 to 3-10 after extra time. Great scoring for junior football on a heavy pitch in November.

Galtee Gaels are a fine side and TBH are better than this level in Limerick .  They were very unlucky . Great club .   

Ball Hopper

Update 19 Nov.  First pair of finals finished today.  Congrats to Na Piarsaigh and Kanturk on their hurling victories.  The other 4 competitions have the final pairings set.  For those wondering, the Waterford County Football Championship semi-finals are set for next weekend, 26 Nov.

Senior Football

QF: 29 Oct.  Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 0-14 Clonmel Commercials (Tipperary) 0-8 in Clonmel 2pm
QF:               Nemo Rangers (Cork) w/o (Waterford) scr.

SF: 12 Nov.  Dr. Crokes (Kerry) 2-19 Kilmurry-Ibrickane (Clare) 0-10 in Dr. Crokes GAA, Lewis Road, Killarney (not Fitzgerald Stadium) 2pm
SF: 12 Nov.  Nemo Rangers (Cork) 2-17 Adare (Limerick) 0-4 in Mallow 2:45pm

Final: 26 Nov Nemo Rangers (Cork) v Dr. Crokes (Kerry) in Pairc Ui Rinn 2pm

Intermediate Football

QF: 29 Oct. Mallow (Cork) 1-11 Dungarvan (Waterford) 0-11 in Dungarvan 2pm
QF: 5 Nov. St Senans (Limerick) 0-12 v Kiladangan (Tipperary) 0-8  in Toomevara 2pm

SF: 12 Nov. St Senans (Limerick) 2-11  Kilmihil (Clare) 2-8 in Newcastlewest 2pm
SF: 12 Nov. An Ghaeltacht (Kerry) 1-19 Mallow (Cork) 1-8  in Austin Stack Park, Tralee 1pm

Final:  26 Nov An Ghaeltacht (Kerry) v St Senans (Limerick) in Tralee 2pm

Junior Football

QF: 5 Nov.  Knocknagree (Cork) 5-15 v Knockavilla Kickhams (Tipperary) 0-8 in Mallow 2pm
QF: 5 Nov.  Dromid Pearses (Kerry) 0-14 Naomh Eoin (Clare) 0-10  in Cross, Co. Clare 2pm

SF: 19 Nov.  Knocknagree (Cork) 2-16 Sliabh gCua – St. Mary's (Waterford) 1-7 in Mallow 2pm
SF: 18 Nov.  Dromid Pearses (Kerry) 2-17 Galtee Gaels (Limerick) 3-10 AET in Dromid GAA 1pm

Final: 3 Dec. Dromid Pearses (Kerry) v Knocknagree (Cork) in Mallow

Senior Hurling

QF: 29 Oct. Ballygunner (Waterford) 1-21 Thurles Sarsfields (Tipperary) 1-19 AET in Walsh Park, Waterford 2pm

SF: 5 Nov.  Ballygunner (Waterford) 1-18 v Sixmilebridge (Clare) 1-17 in Walsh Park, Waterford 2pm
SF: 5 Nov.  Na Piarsaigh (Limerick) 2-26 v Blackrock (Cork) 0-10 in Gaelic Grounds, Limerick 2pm

Final: 19 Nov. Na Piarsaigh (Limerick) 3-15 Ballygunner (Waterford) 2-10 Semple Stadium, Thurles 2pm

Intermediate Hurling

QF: 22 Oct. Kanturk (Cork) 2-17 St Mary's (Tipperary) 0-11 in Mallow
QF: 22 Oct.  Kilmaley (Clare) 1-20 Murroe-Boher  (Limerick) 0-22 AET in Cusack Park, Ennis

SF: 5 Nov. Kanturk (Cork) 1-20 Ballyduff (Kerry) 2-12  in Austin Stack Park, Tralee 2pm
SF: 5 Nov. Kilmaley (Clare) 0-24 v An Rinn (Waterford) 1-8 in Cusack Park, Ennis 2pm

Final: 19 Nov Kanturk (Cork) 1-23 Kilmaley (Clare) 0-25 Gaelic Grounds, Limerick 2pm

Junior Hurling

QF: 28 Oct.  Ballybacon-Grange (Tipperary) 5-24 Kenmare (Kerry) 1-4 in Ardfinnan 2pm
QF: 5 Nov.  Ardmore (Waterford) 4-20 St. Patrick's (Limerick) 0-11 in Gaelic Grounds, Limerick 12 noon

SF: 12 Nov.  Ballybacon-Grange (Tipperary) 1-11 St. Catherines (Cork) 0-9 in Ardfinnan 2pm
SF: 12 Nov.  Ardmore (Waterford) 5-22 Luban Duige (Bodyke) (Clare) 1-8 in WIT Carriganore 2pm

Final: 3 Dec.  Ardmore (Waterford) v Ballybacon-Grange (Tipperary) in Mallow

AZOffaly

Quote from: ashman on November 19, 2017, 05:18:27 PM

Galtee Gaels are a fine side and TBH are better than this level in Limerick .  They were very unlucky . Great club .

Were you down at it? It was a great day for Dromid, hosting a game like that.

ashman

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2017, 10:15:14 AM
Quote from: ashman on November 19, 2017, 05:18:27 PM

I wasn't .  A long spin from Ardagh . I was gutted for them . I understand Knocknagree are very good and are fancied to beat Dromid .
Were you down at it? It was a great day for Dromid, hosting a game like that.

AZOffaly

I'd say Knocknagree would be favourites alright. Dromid's main forward got a straight red as well, so he'll be a massive loss. Galtee Gaels just tired, once Dromid changed the midfield and stopped the bigger of the two Childs (I think that's their name) from dominating there. Galtee Gaels were winning everything around the middle, and were firing big strong runners off the shoulder. Dromid couldn't cope to be honest. Then they moved Tomás Curran and Aidan O'Sullivan to centre field, and that stopped the momentum a bit. Dromid started breaking even or better out there, and the tide turned a little bit. They nearly left it too late though, they had 3 goals conceded by that stage.

Dromid have a nice little team though, so Knocknagree will need to be right.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 20, 2017, 11:47:46 AM
I'd say Knocknagree would be favourites alright. Dromid's main forward got a straight red as well, so he'll be a massive loss. Galtee Gaels just tired, once Dromid changed the midfield and stopped the bigger of the two Childs (I think that's their name) from dominating there. Galtee Gaels were winning everything around the middle, and were firing big strong runners off the shoulder. Dromid couldn't cope to be honest. Then they moved Tomás Curran and Aidan O'Sullivan to centre field, and that stopped the momentum a bit. Dromid started breaking even or better out there, and the tide turned a little bit. They nearly left it too late though, they had 3 goals conceded by that stage.

Dromid have a nice little team though, so Knocknagree will need to be right.

Both teams at full strength - Dromid clear favourites. That's having seen both play in the last 2 years. If Niall O'Shea is missing that's a big loss for Dromid alright but still think they have enough to win it. Knocknagree have a few good forwards but vulnerable further back.

Gaeltacht got over Mallow in Intermediate football, who would have been the main danger really I expect.
Crokes and Nemo should be interesting next Sunday.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Captain Obvious

Club image of the year from Dr. Crokes v Clonmel Commercials game?

Milltown Row2

Wheres the ball? oh is it a spot the ball competition?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

All Ireland champions on the verge of getting knocked out this afternoon. Nemo Rangers 0-14 Dr Crokes 0-9. 10 mins to play.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

All Ireland champions out! FT Nemo Rangers 0-16 Dr Crokes 0-11
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose