Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 12:46:37 PM
This is still the most embarassing bit of hand wringing I've seen in the GAA in a long time. Make as much as you can while you can. No one person is the moral guardian of another, let alone of a sport that treats amateur players like livestock at times.

Livestock don't have a choice
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on November 07, 2017, 12:55:34 PM
This is still the most embarassing bit of hand wringing I've seen in the GAA in a long time. Make as much as you can while you can. No one person is the moral guardian of another, let alone of a sport that treats amateur players like livestock at times.

Most players don't think about choice when college, county and club want their pound of flesh the same week either. And if they did say no they'd be vilified by someone for it. Don't act like pressure to acquiesce isn't implied and applied on players in equal measure. None of which is any excuse for shunting players around like cattle. It's supposedly all about the greater good yet every link on the chain doesn't seem to care that much about the individual or what's best for them long term.

If Gooch can make a bit of money, he's perfectly entitled to do it. In the absence of someone else looking after you, you damn well better make sure you do it yourself.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on November 07, 2017, 01:10:37 PM

Most players don't think about choice when college, county and club want their pound of flesh the same week either. And if they did say no they'd be vilified by someone for it. Don't act like pressure to acquiesce isn't implied and applied on players in equal measure. None of which is any excuse for shunting players around like cattle. It's supposedly all about the greater good yet every link on the chain doesn't seem to care that much about the individual or what's best for them long term.

If Gooch can make a bit of money, he's perfectly entitled to do it. In the absence of someone else looking after you, you damn well better make sure you do it yourself.
+1
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Therealdonald

I think it says all that can be said about this Gooch dinner when you compare his outlook with the O'Se's and their fundraiser for their club. Chalk and Cheese just. Actually a typical townie vs culchie outcome.

Aaron Boone

It does dilute the overall amount of money within Kerry GAA this year. The Centre of Excellence still due a pound for the loan-interest and Mr Tralee businessman has spent his spare-budget on the Gooch's dinner.

sligoman2

What a load of begrudgers..
Why do we care how much he makes or where it goes?

More power to him and fcuk the begrudgers...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rudi

Proceeds should be taxed at 99.9%. Greedy man. Fair play to the 3 O Sheas.

Orchard park

Do you genuinely believe Gooch was poorly treated by club, county or employer over the last 15 years

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on November 08, 2017, 03:50:22 PM

Do you genuinely believe Gooch was poorly treated by club, county or employer over the last 15 years

Do you genuinely believe the system's interest is any individual player? They're the livestock, and yes they are treated as such many, many times throughout their careers. Just because Gooch happened to be so good that he is able to draw money in for a testimonial is no excuse for anyone to begrudge him it.

It's so easy for people to be hurlers on the ditch when they have no skin in the game. You either accept the ground rules of capitalism or you don't, it's really that simple.

Orchard park

direct question.

was gooch treated poorly by employer, county or club.

I know numerous who were but trust me Gooch wasn't one and in fairness to him before his head was turned by crass capitalism I would have rated him one of the decent guys.

a crew of us living in limerick though are taking a table at the gaeltacht fundraiser due to the true club and community ethos shown by the 3 brothers. And i know its opportunistic by the club but fair dues to them for spotting the free advertising opportunities....

Avondhu star

If he wasn't nicknamed Gooch he wouldn't have got half the headlines. Give me Stephen O Neill or Canavan any day of the week
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

general_lee

Quote from: Syferus on November 08, 2017, 04:09:01 PM

Do you genuinely believe the system's interest is any individual player? They're the livestock, and yes they are treated as such many, many times throughout their careers. Just because Gooch happened to be so good that he is able to draw money in for a testimonial is no excuse for anyone to begrudge him it.

It's so easy for people to be hurlers on the ditch when they have no skin in the game. You either accept the ground rules of capitalism or you don't, it's really that simple.
Oh piss off. County players are treated like royalty. For so-called "amateurs" they're more than looked after. Cushy jobs handed to them (permanent teaching jobs are virtually guaranteed as soon as you graduate), all sorts of scholarships/money thrown at them by universities, free gym membership/training, £100s worth of free gear each year, free car, sponsorship deals, expenses, trips paid for to play/drink the head of themselves in NY, free team holidays. Not to mention a lifetime of jersey-tuggers following them around.

I'd hazard a guess the gooch was near top of the pile when it came to being looked after.

yellowcard

Livestock? Don't make me laugh. Such a sweeping generalisation. To bracket a corner back from Leitrim in the same category as a multiple AI winner and All Star is ludicrous. You might have a case saying that the Leitrim corner back gets relatively little in return for the sacrifice he puts in. The likes of Gooch though has done and will continue to do well due to his profile as a top GAA player. That is only as it should be, but don't pretend that poor Gooch was treated shabbily by the GAA, he wasn't. Privately I think the O'Se's would not have been happy with his blatant money grab and it's no co-incidence that this event is taking place so soon after Cooper's only highlighting his greed moreso.

Syferus

Quote from: general_lee on November 08, 2017, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 08, 2017, 04:09:01 PM

Oh piss off. County players are treated like royalty. For so-called "amateurs" they're more than looked after. Cushy jobs handed to them (permanent teaching jobs are virtually guaranteed as soon as you graduate), all sorts of scholarships/money thrown at them by universities, free gym membership/training, £100s worth of free gear each year, free car, sponsorship deals, expenses, trips paid for to play/drink the head of themselves in NY, free team holidays. Not to mention a lifetime of jersey-tuggers following them around.

I'd hazard a guess the gooch was near top of the pile when it came to being looked after.

Being an IC player is a full time job you aren't paid for. Trying to point to the odd kickback totally misses the point that in any other sport the level of commitment involved would mean the player was a professional, and still get everything you're pointing to on top of it.

The Irish do begrudgry better than anyone else. It's a bit embarrassing to watch over a fûcking dinner dance, though.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on November 08, 2017, 05:27:29 PM
Being an IC player is a full time job you aren't paid for. Trying to point to the odd kickback totally misses the point that in any other sport the level of commitment involved would mean the player was a professional, and still get everything you're pointing to on top of it.

But it isn't any other sport, that is the whole point. The issue arising because Gooch is undermining the GAA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B