Stefan Campbell signs for Lurgan Celtic

Started by T Fearon, August 31, 2017, 06:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2017, 11:40:42 AM
Can someone explain if Kieran Mc Geeney will sanction any of his players playing soccer at any level?

Nothing to do with Geezer. Or any of us to be honest

illdecide

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 05, 2017, 11:57:45 AM
Can someone explain if Kieran Mc Geeney will sanction any of his players playing soccer at any level?

Nothing to do with Geezer. Or any of us to be honest

Correct...Kieran doesn't own the players, what do you want them to do...phone him for permission to take a crop ffs. Wise up
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

lurganblue

Some knickers in a twist here. Should county players become hermits when their season finishes, or maybe it would be better to hit the beer flat out.

armaghniac

Quote from: lurganblue on September 05, 2017, 12:16:43 PM
Some knickers in a twist here. Should county players become hermits when their season finishes, or maybe it would be better to hit the beer flat out.

I know this might not be obvious in Lurgan, but there are other things to do other than play soccer or get pissed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

This is not the 1960's. To the best of my knowledge the players are not under contract with Armagh. Should geezer then not be allowed to undertake work carried on outside Armagh GAA? They are not employee's of the county board so he is entitled to do as he chooses.

lurganblue

Quote from: armaghniac on September 05, 2017, 12:33:04 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on September 05, 2017, 12:16:43 PM

I know this might not be obvious in Lurgan, but there are other things to do other than play soccer or get pissed.

i dont believe ya  ;)

T Fearon

Of course the lad can do what he wants but I revert to my original question,does signing for Lurgan Celtic mean the end of his Armagh career,whether he desires this outcome or not.Is any other fairly high profile GAA player in any other county also playing soccer currently?

nrico2006

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2017, 12:58:52 PM
Of course the lad can do what he wants but I revert to my original question,does signing for Lurgan Celtic mean the end of his Armagh career,whether he desires this outcome or not.Is any other fairly high profile GAA player in any other county also playing soccer currently?

I'm sure there are other high profile GAA players playing football leagues the equivalent of what Lurgan Celtic are playing in.  Nobody probably has heard of Lurgan Celtic bar people in the area and there are probably loads of clubs in the country who we haven't heard of with high profile GAA players playing through the autumn and winter.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

T Fearon

Lurgan Celtic play in a Division immediately below the Northern Irish Premiership,whose Champions met Glasgow Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers this season.This is not a pub football or junior football team,but one with aspirations to play in the Northern Irish Premiership.

David McKeown

The thing that occurs to me is that it's unlikely Lurgan Celtic would have signed a player without him have played at level not too far removed from their level. From my own experience coaching underage sides of championship teams I think 1 of 3 situations is likely to pertain.

1. Campbell will be well use to playing decent level football and the demands that come with that if he is expectind to play regularly and will have done so over a number of years (I think he played for Banbridge) previously such that he will be able to work around the GAA as he has done in the past.

2. He has joined Lurgan Celtic as a squad or seconds player and will be very much playing at an amateur level which likely won't impact on GAA and will only help to improve his fitness. .

3. Campbell wishes to give his all to a different sport and as is his right has decided to commit to that. In this scenario he is perfectly entitled to do this as unlike what some on here may think he owes Armagh and the GAA nothing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2017, 01:17:52 PM
Lurgan Celtic play in a Division immediately below the Northern Irish Premiership,whose Champions met Glasgow Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers this season.This is not a pub football or junior football team,but one with aspirations to play in the Northern Irish Premiership.

Doesn't mean many people will have heard of them. There's teams in that league I hadn't heard of before I actually looked to see where LC were playing these days

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

Ethan Tremblay

Thick Gavin McParland usually joins Armagh City for a few months each year, but not sure if he sticks around come January time. 

Pointless thread as mentioned, doubt Mc Geeney has to sanction anything and if he is good at soccer why wouldn't he play at a higher level with Lurgan Celtic? Wouldn't read into it too much.

No doubt he, like most of the Armagh ones would be playing soccer over the next few months to keep fit and enjoy some aspect of sport without the scrutiny.     
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

brokencrossbar1

Aaron Findon has joined a soccer team as well....may as well pack up the Armagh squad at this point...they're all gonna be lost to the Garrison Game!!

Sandy Hill

Is Stefan Campbell playing soccer very much different to Kieran Donaghy playing basketball every winter?
"Stercus accidit"