Rossfan

Once you runveryveryfast. ..
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 15, 2018, 10:02:51 AM
Every Dublin and Tyrone player yesterday

put the ball in one hand and away you go

Every player from all 4 teams yesterday and will be the same today. The steps rule isn't enforces and if you do that exaggerated movement with the ball in the hand out infront of you as if you're trying to bounce it you get an extra 3 or more steps.

Dinny Breen

It's getting worse you know......
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

The highlighted pieces on the Sunday game were ridiculous. That score after 16 steps!

J70

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2018, 02:38:43 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 15, 2018, 10:02:51 AM
Every Dublin and Tyrone player yesterday

put the ball in one hand and away you go

Every player from all 4 teams yesterday and will be the same today. The steps rule isn't enforces and if you do that exaggerated movement with the ball in the hand out infront of you as if you're trying to bounce it you get an extra 3 or more steps.

Perfected by John Gildea for Donegal 20 years ago.  :) Think Alan Brogan picked up on it then.

GalwayBayBoy

One area where it pays to be a small fella. The players with little scuttling legs seem to get away with multiples of steps.

The other area is taking steps into a tackle, riding the tackle while taking more steps and then you seem to be allowed a fresh bunch of steps coming out of the tackle.

Maroon Manc

My pet hate, Stephen O'Brien not as culpable as he used to be but still getting away with it consistently. Ciaran Kilkenny another huge offender. Mattie Donnelly must have took 11-12 steps for Tyrone's first goal last Saturday but no mention of it anywhere unless it was flagged on the TSG on sunday night.

RedHand88

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 23, 2019, 12:02:01 PM
My pet hate, Stephen O'Brien not as culpable as he used to be but still getting away with it consistently. Ciaran Kilkenny another huge offender. Mattie Donnelly must have took 11-12 steps for Tyrone's first goal last Saturday but no mention of it anywhere unless it was flagged on the TSG on sunday night.

You can take as many steps as you like, so long as you score a goal at the end of it. Double bounces also allowed in this case.

Angelo

To be honest it is nearly impossible for the modern day player to play the ball in under 5 step running at full pelt now given the speed they move at.

They should increase it to 8 steps and enforce it.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

The problem is the speed with which the game is played now. Its impossible to solo/bounce every 4 steps and run as fast as the modern game.
This is what congress should be focusing on. They'd be better off making the rule 6 steps and enforcing it.

RedHand88

Quote from: Angelo on July 23, 2019, 01:24:13 PM
To be honest it is nearly impossible for the modern day player to play the ball in under 5 step running at full pelt now given the speed they move at.

They should increase it to 8 steps and enforce it.

Jaysus our posts are eerily similar.  :o

trueblue1234

But is this speed a great thing that we want to protect? A man sprinting past his opposite number, ball tucked away so the defender can't get at it isn't attractive football for me to watch. I'd much rather a watch a tricky corner forward a la Canavan jink his way through than watch any number of flat track forwards just outrun their counterparts. When I talk about wanting a fast game, it's a game where the ball is moving faster that the players, rather than just getting carried by fast players.
I'll preempt this by saying that this isn't a dig at the Dubs, but one of the biggest benefits they have in their conditioning is the absolute speed of most of their players. They are all at peak conditioning and it's actually so noticeable how much quicker as a group they are over other teams. Making players take their bounce/ solo might slow down the players but hopefully the knock on effect would be that teams move the ball quicker and will allow skill to play a bigger part in the equation as well.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Blue and White

It's important when discussing the issue of 'steps' to also consider the lack of turnovers in the modern game from one on one tackling.  With this overcarrying not being punished by the tackler or the referee, I think it's only going to get worse.  Compare with Australian rules football, clearly defined tackle, which can be made successfully in a one verse one scenario therefore the player on the ball will aim to move it before contact even though he can run the ball 20 metres before playing it if he chooses.  The likelihood of losing the ball in the tackle means he moves the ball.  It's now all but impossible to turnover the ball one v one in modern Gaelic football resulting in mass defences. 

magpie seanie

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 23, 2019, 01:25:05 PM
The problem is the speed with which the game is played now. Its impossible to solo/bounce every 4 steps and run as fast as the modern game.
This is what congress should be focusing on. They'd be better off making the rule 6 steps and enforcing it.

That's simply untrue. If you comply with the rule you're giving your opponent a chance to make an effective tackle so they run as fast as they can and when they feel safe they play the ball. Defenders have an impossible job. See Gavin White's black card the last day. He was all over Ryan McHugh but after 6/7 steps felt he had to hold on and then fell himself (he was stupid to maintain hold of the jersey and pull him down, granted). If McHugh had played the ball in 4/5 stpes White would have had a chance to dispossess. Everyone says - definite black card but in truth is was a free for overcarrying.

I've been on about this for ages and it has gotten way, way worse.

StephenC

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2019, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 23, 2019, 01:25:05 PM

That's simply untrue. If you comply with the rule you're giving your opponent a chance to make an effective tackle so they run as fast as they can and when they feel safe they play the ball. Defenders have an impossible job. See Gavin White's black card the last day. He was all over Ryan McHugh but after fouling McHugh for 6/7 steps felt he had to continue to foul him hold on and then dragged McHugh to the ground fell himself (he was stupid to maintain hold of the jersey and pull him down, granted). If McHugh had played the ball in 4/5 stpes White would have had a chance to dispossess. Everyone says - definite black card but in truth is was a free for overcarrying.

I've been on about this for ages and it has gotten way, way worse.

FYP

There are many examples in every game where it should be a free for over-carrying and I'm sure Ryan has been a culprit on many occasions. This was such a clear black-card that I don't think you are helping your case by trying to use it though.