Sky Sports/Today FM 15 for 15

Started by Il Bomber Destro, August 07, 2015, 06:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Highlander3 on August 08, 2015, 09:37:28 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2015, 11:04:16 PM
Quote from: Highlander3 on August 07, 2015, 09:44:08 PM
I think Gooch is over rated as well, would probably put him on my top 15 put think he is no were near the player Canavan was, in my opinion he is not good enough at winning his own ball, and is helped by the talent that has surrounded him

Gooch is hands down the best forward I've seen play the game. From a skills standpoint there are shots and passes he's made that I've seen no one else make. A lot of these Ulster focused teams seem to be picking players for their ruggedness or physicality. Gooch offers something very unique to a team.

Do you really believe he was better than Canavan? I think he is a great player but he has always played on a team with many other great forwards, I don't think think he would consistently enough win his own ball enough if he was playing for a weaker team

Straight head for head yes. But both would make my 15.

Highlander3

Well I disagree but McCann will never make anyone's 15 after his performance today

Syferus

Quote from: Highlander3 on August 08, 2015, 09:48:23 PM
Well I disagree but McCann will never make anyone's 15 after his performance today

Haha, in fairness on these sorts of teams named here Gooch would be able to play to every one of his strengths.

SHEEDY

S Cluxton

M o'se
N Magee
K Higgins

T o'se
S Moynihan
K Lacey

D o'se
C Whelan

D Connolly
D o'sullivan
B Coulter

Gooch
B Brogan
P Canavan

nil satis nisi optimum

50fiftyball

Copper is spectacular, there is no doubting that we will ever see the likes of him again, a unique forward. But head to head, as a pure forward, Peter Canavan wins hands down. You can't say Canavan couldn't slice a defence open with his intelligent play either.

Keane

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2015, 07:17:44 PM
I think Gooch is ridiculously overrated, a great man to steamroll teams that allow him play and when the opposition collapses but his record against Ulster teams is very poor. He's a great player but you'd have to question him doing it when the chips are down and games are in the melting pot.

I wouldn't say it's a Northern bias either, you look back at the last 15 years and Ulster has had 3 different teams share 5 titles, Down reached a final in 2010, Fermanagh and Derry also reached semi finals and Monaghan and Cavan have made quarter finals. Ulster teams have been competing at the very highest level since the turn of the millennium so it's hardly surprising they should have a big proportion of teams there.

Yet Kerry on their own won 6 titles in the same period, and beaten in a further four finals but can't muster a forward worthy of inclusion? Pull the other one  ;D

maddog

Went for

Cluxton
Karl Lacey
Seamus Moynihan
Mike McCarthy
Tomas o se
Keiran McGeeney
Sean Og de Paor
Darragh O se
Anthony Tohill
Michael donnellan
Maurice Fitz
Brian Dooher
Colm Cooper
Padraic Joyce
Stevie McDonnell

Would have liked to find room for Trevor Giles, Bernard Brogan, Oisin McConville, Johnny Doyle but there you go.

macdanger2

1. Cluxton
2. M O'Se
3. Bellew
4. Higgins
5. T O'Se
6. Moynihan
7. Jordan
8. Darragh O'Se
9. Cavanagh
10. Dooher
11. Declan O'S
12. Connolly (I agnoised a lot between him or MacDanger)
13. Canavan
14. McDonnell
15. Gooch

Overall: 6 x Kerry; 4 x Tyrone; 2 x Armagh & Dublin and 1 x Mayo

Wildweasel74

what sort of timescale these teams been picked from, none of them would be an all time team or even a team of the past 25yrs

macdanger2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 10, 2015, 11:30:19 AM
what sort of timescale these teams been picked from, none of them would be an all time team or even a team of the past 25yrs

The last 15 years

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on August 07, 2015, 11:04:16 PM
Quote from: Highlander3 on August 07, 2015, 09:44:08 PM
I think Gooch is over rated as well, would probably put him on my top 15 put think he is no were near the player Canavan was, in my opinion he is not good enough at winning his own ball, and is helped by the talent that has surrounded him

Gooch is hands down the best forward I've seen play the game. From a skills standpoint there are shots and passes he's made that I've seen no one else make. A lot of these Ulster focused teams seem to be picking players for their ruggedness or physicality. Gooch offers something very unique to a team.

What about Cregger? The man who was making it rain against the mighty Limerick in the league last year according to your expert analysis

illdecide

It's nearly impossible to pick a best 15 as soon as you name your team and someone else comes up with a guy you'd forgotten about you'll think "feck me he should be in". There has been some great individual players mentioned there. Majority of people will always prefer their own County men but for the five mentioned below is your benchmark to work the other 10 around...There is no way possible you can leave them 5 men out (unless you've no wit)

1. S Cluxton
5. T ó Se
8. D ó Se
13. C Cooper (Gooch)
15. P Canavan
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Surprised no-one mentioned Maurice Fitz
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Not a mention anywhere for Paul McGrane, the real beating heart of Armagh in the 00's. Him at #8 and fill in the rest yourselves.

Keane

Quote from: illdecide on August 10, 2015, 11:41:25 AM
Surprised no-one mentioned Maurice Fitz

Probably wouldn't be in on the basis of it being the last 15 years.