Connacht Final. Mayo v Sligo. July 19.

Started by moysider, June 22, 2015, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites);
Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
Lee Keegan (Westport), Tom Cunniffe (Castlebar Mitchels), Colm Boyle (Davitts);
Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy), Tom Parsons (Charlestown Sarsfields);
Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber), Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy), Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore);
Andy Moran (Ballghaderreen), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole).

I assume Vaughan will be at 6 and Cunniffe at 2, with Caff at 3.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Yeah, you would expect something like that in the backs Farr anyway if those 6  start.

Nihilist

Interesting statistics from Martin Breheny in today's independent.

Mayo going for 13 in a row in Connacht this Sunday. (Unlucky 13?)
Also going for 5 in a row titles.

In that period they have only played Sligo once - where Sligo setup defensively and lost by 2 points in the Hyde in 2012.
Finally the last team to beat Mayo in Connacht were Sligo in 2010.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Nihilist on July 16, 2015, 08:37:07 AM

In that period they have only played Sligo once - where Sligo setup defensively and lost by 2 points in the Hyde in 2012.
Fuckn Hell-did you just relete 'interesting' and 'Martin Breheny'
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

highorlow

QuoteHoping for a dirty wet miserable day in the Hyde ( from 3 to 6 anyway) and a Sligo double.

Your hopes on the weather look likely. Maybe the morning rain will clear.

I don't understand your logic on how this would suit Sligo?

The rain always suits the fitter and better conditioned side which is where we are miles ahead of anyone else in Connacht. The more rain the wider our margin of victory.

Calling a spade a spade no matter what the conditions our lads will win this pulling up. We already got a little scare off the Sligo lads a good while back. This won't happen again. Could be a long day for Sligo supporters I'm afraid.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Hope you're right highorlow. Anyway, am I the only one on here that thinks Barrett is unlucky to miss out?

Mano

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 15, 2015, 05:40:21 PM
Does gilmartin have the legs and speed to cover back when we lose the ball?
Kelly and Marren will have to work hard to get possession as they will be marked very tightly.  We need a great performance from the whole team and if we get it we could cause another big upset.

Sligoman2 here are the reasons I would include Gilmartin

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-statistics-sligo-under-pressure-to-resolve-kickout-conundrum-1.2286279

Mano

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2015, 09:38:33 AM
QuoteHoping for a dirty wet miserable day in the Hyde ( from 3 to 6 anyway) and a Sligo double.

The rain always suits the fitter and better conditioned side which is where we are miles ahead of anyone else in Connacht. The more rain the wider our margin of victory.

Calling a spade a spade no matter what the conditions our lads will win this pulling up. We already got a little scare off the Sligo lads a good while back. This won't happen again. Could be a long day for Sligo supporters I'm afraid.

That would make lovely wallpaper in the Sligo dressing room.

Rossfan

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2015, 09:38:33 AM

Nothing to do with logic.
I want the underdog to win and ye lot getting drenched while watching it. 8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Well whatever floats your boat Rossfan. If Mayo lose our season ticket holders will still have one game to look forward to ;).

baoithe

Quote from: Mano on July 16, 2015, 09:52:47 AM
Kelly and Marren will have to work hard to get possession as they will be marked very tightly.  We need a great performance from the whole team and if we get it we could cause another big upset.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-statistics-sligo-under-pressure-to-resolve-kickout-conundrum-1.2286279

Sligoman2's point is well made. The wing forwards are vital to the defensive set up and put in huge work. Gilmartin cannot fulfill their roles. From kickouts he is clearly a ball winner but its when we don't have the ball that's the issue.

Mano

There is no doubt Mayo will push up on our kick-outs forcing us to go long to midfield handing the advantage to the taller Mayo pairing. If those stats from the Irish Times from the Roscommon game are repeated against Mayo we will be in big trouble. On the Mayo side Parsons is very poor defensively but they have a better balance to their midfield. We have great mobility, shooting and passing skills in Murphy and C Brehony but without the ball both will be on the back foot and Marren, Kelly etc. will be starved of possession. Gilmartin has to start with C. Brehony going to wing forward. We will know soon enough.

sligoman2

Quote from: Mano on July 16, 2015, 09:52:47 AM

Valid point Mano the best we could hope for with high balls is to break them and hopefully pick up the breaks even with gilmartin.  I'm willing to sacrifice height for speed and work rate as apparently is Carew.l
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

macdanger2

Quote from: sans pessimism on July 16, 2015, 09:22:40 AM
Quote from: Nihilist on July 16, 2015, 08:37:07 AM

Fuckn Hell-did you just relete 'interesting' and 'Martin Breheny'

;D ;D ;D ;D I thought the exact same thing when I read that post!!

macdanger2