GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 10:32:08 AM
Something else to bear in mind.

If Sky's viewing figures were as poor as estimated, the naysayers really should stop revelling in their "victory" and try to evaluate the situation against their own needs.

- Sky has 700k subscribers on board in Ireland and likely another 150k in the six counties, and an healthy dose of diaspora subscribers in GB.

- Through their excellent Now TV service, anyone could avail of a day rate at any time to stream one off matches.

- They produced a genuinely top class GAA product.

If a service of that quality isn't supported by GAA people, then a subscription based national streaming service is doomed, while the viewing figures would suggest there just isn't the appetite/commercial viability for e.g. virgin to make one of their channels wall-to-wall GAA at weekends.

I honestly think that losing Sky is poor outcome for gaa folk.

This. While we may not all have liked it, the fact is it failed commercially and people think there will be a queue  to replace it?

Cavan19

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 25, 2022, 10:59:39 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 10:32:08 AM
Something else to bear in mind.

If Sky's viewing figures were as poor as estimated, the naysayers really should stop revelling in their "victory" and try to evaluate the situation against their own needs.

- Sky has 700k subscribers on board in Ireland and likely another 150k in the six counties, and an healthy dose of diaspora subscribers in GB.

- Through their excellent Now TV service, anyone could avail of a day rate at any time to stream one off matches.

- They produced a genuinely top class GAA product.

If a service of that quality isn't supported by GAA people, then a subscription based national streaming service is doomed, while the viewing figures would suggest there just isn't the appetite/commercial viability for e.g. virgin to make one of their channels wall-to-wall GAA at weekends.

I honestly think that losing Sky is poor outcome for gaa folk.

This. While we may not all have liked it, the fact is it failed commercially and people think there will be a queue  to replace it?

There doesn't need to be a queue i'm sure RTE or Virgin will pick up whats left for very little money.

Would less games be any harm? There is no much entertainment in watching the dubs pumping Carlow on a Saturday evening and then Mayo doing the same to Leitrim on a Sunday. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: Sportacus on October 24, 2022, 06:40:08 PM
Plenty of wans celebrating, but it's a time for reflection too.  If our product was great, Sky would be expanding, not withdrawing.
Sky wanted to expand including 16 league games, the shortened season was also a hindrance. A big loss, they didn't really displace RTE so the fiction that our wans were missing out was misleading. I suspect that GAAgo will be touted so still a paywall. Sky was good of the GAA and they prove to be shortsighted once again. Premier Sports hopefully will step in.

markl121

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 25, 2022, 11:19:08 AM
Plenty of wans celebrating, but it's a time for reflection too.  If our product was great, Sky would be expanding, not withdrawing.
Sky wanted to expand including 16 league games, the shortened season was also a hindrance. A big loss, they didn't really displace RTE so the fiction that our wans were missing out was misleading. I suspect that GAAgo will be touted so still a paywall. Sky was good of the GAA and they prove to be shortsighted once again. Premier Sports hopefully will step in.
A lot of people had sky already so getting the gaa on it wasn't anymore expense to them. Not too many have premier sports though so will be extra cost for most if they go with it or gaago. More league games on sky would have been class.

trailer

Quote from: markl121 on October 25, 2022, 11:32:21 AM
A lot of people had sky already so getting the gaa on it wasn't anymore expense to them. Not too many have premier sports though so will be extra cost for most if they go with it or gaago. More league games on sky would have been class.

Two words.... Dodgy Box. I don't know anyone who pays for Sky or BT.

clarshack

Quote from: trailer on October 25, 2022, 11:42:17 AM
Quote from: markl121 on October 25, 2022, 11:32:21 AM

Two words.... Dodgy Box. I don't know anyone who pays for Sky or BT.

I only know of one other person who has Sky and they have the full package too.

armaghniac

I hope that if the GAA do other deals that there remains a pay per game option and that you do not have to sign up for a season. Sky effectively had that with the NowTV day pass.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on October 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM
I'd say Virgin will step back in and TG4 get more.
Plus RTÉ would have more live league games.

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

Any organisation that can't offer full coverage over the 32 counties should not be considered.

Cavan19

Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 12:19:10 PM

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

Any organisation that can't offer full coverage over the 32 counties should not be considered.

That's not the way it works though as you know.

thewobbler

So if BBC NI wish to show Fermanagh v Derry next year (which let's be honest, isn't going to make a stir in the lower 26), just say no?

Rossfan

BBC will likely only cover 6 Cos teams or at best Ulster ones.
Virgin (aka ITV Eire(sic)) probably don't know gaelic games exist at all.v
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

From speaking to a few people who matter I don't think a GAA youtube channel is too far away.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 12:35:35 PM

So if BBC NI wish to show Fermanagh v Derry next year (which let's be honest, isn't going to make a stir in the lower 26), just say no?

I could stand corrected, but is BBC NI not on Saerview?

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 12:35:35 PM

I could stand corrected, but is BBC NI not on Saerview?

No, it is not and BBC iPlayer does not work legally in the 26 counties either. BBC could pair up with Virgin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 25, 2022, 01:23:05 PM
From speaking to a few people who matter I don't think a GAA youtube channel is too far away.

Tg4 have that already for some games