Has the Back door become Redundant?

Started by From the Bunker, August 05, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

We have had two years in a row where no backdoor team has made the AI semifinals. Is the backdoor a waste of time? Are we just prolonging the agony for teams who are just not good enough?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2012, 06:02:39 PM
We have had two years in a row where no backdoor team has made the AI semifinals. Is the backdoor a waste of time? Are we just prolonging the agony for teams who are just not good enough?

I don't think so, there are 4 teams currently a good bit ahead of the next best team in their province, this could all change very quickly.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thewobbler

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2012, 06:02:39 PM

Every year in Championship football, at least 25 teams are prolonging their agony by entering it at all.

Collins

Not a waste of time to the GAA who make some amount of money off the back of it every year since its introduction.

If I had my way we'd either go back to the way it was, no back door, straight knock out, or have a champions league style Championship with groups. Provincial championships before it all kicked off to decide the top 4 seeds with the rest an open draw.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Collins on August 05, 2012, 06:06:38 PM
If I had my way we'd either go back to the way it was, no back door, straight knock out,

+1

i usse an speelchekor

5 Sams

Open draw...straight knock out......every one at the same level of preparation...best team will win it...forget the provincial championships or run them for fun in the winter.
The Aristocrat Years

sligoman2

Are ye forgetting 2010 when all four semi-finalists came through the back door?

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Orchardman

Delighted to see for the 2nd year in a row, the 4 champs have got through to the semi finals. I didn't like it in 2010 when 4 backdoor teams made it through, and people were quick to paint the back door as the best route. Probably stems from the fact that i like tradition, plus armagh always took winning ulster seriously, winning 7 but only winning one sam in return.

For years there you could always pick the excuses for beaten teams. If cork had of lost today, then experts would says ' they were rusty, too long a break, and kildare were match sharp, blah blah.'

On the other hand, it would have been said that backdoor teams were tired, blah blah if beaten, but thankfully this year everyone just knows the 4 backdoor teams were shite this year (except kerry, as i believe kerry would have beaten mayo, dublin or cork today)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Orchardman on August 05, 2012, 08:29:47 PM
Delighted to see for the 2nd year in a row, the 4 champs have got through to the semi finals. I didn't like it in 2010 when 4 backdoor teams made it through, and people were quick to paint the back door as the best route. Probably stems from the fact that i like tradition, plus armagh always took winning ulster seriously, winning 7 but only winning one sam in return.

For years there you could always pick the excuses for beaten teams. If cork had of lost today, then experts would says ' they were rusty, too long a break, and kildare were match sharp, blah blah.'

On the other hand, it would have been said that backdoor teams were tired, blah blah if beaten, but thankfully this year everyone just knows the 4 backdoor teams were shite this year (except kerry, as i believe kerry would have beaten mayo, dublin or cork today)

B*llocks! Kerry are not the force of yester-year!

Orchardman

All i'm saying is that it's foolish for someone to say that kerry lag years behind, as someone did say in earlier post. Kerry's display against tyrone, and with a fully fit team today would probably have beaten mayo, or maybe not. I certainly wouldnt have had mayo strong favourites. I also think revenge against dublin would have carried them over the line, and there is every chance they could still have had the indian sign over cork in croke park.

People forget very easily, kerry lost last years final with the last kick of the game! Once brosnan went off today i said it was game over, and then sheehan and o sullivan.
In saying that all their best players will be over 30 next year and i don't think they will be any better than this year, so they may struggle.

ONeill

Scrap the provincials. 5 points for a goal.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Orchardman on August 05, 2012, 10:16:52 PM
All i'm saying is that it's foolish for someone to say that kerry lag years behind, as someone did say in earlier post. Kerry's display against tyrone, and with a fully fit team today would probably have beaten mayo, or maybe not. I certainly wouldnt have had mayo strong favourites. I also think revenge against dublin would have carried them over the line, and there is every chance they could still have had the indian sign over cork in croke park.

People forget very easily, kerry lost last years final with the last kick of the game! Once brosnan went off today i said it was game over, and then sheehan and o sullivan.
In saying that all their best players will be over 30 next year and i don't think they will be any better than this year, so they may struggle.

Ah, we have had three years now without Kerry as champions. So their flame is not as bright. Two of them years they got a second chance, so it's not like they were caught on an off day and were out. As for last year, they blew a major lead, going into the home front. Some of the chasing pack have bridged some of the gap and age wise this team (Like Tyrone) cannot go on forever.

moysider

Quote from: Orchardman on August 05, 2012, 10:16:52 PM
All i'm saying is that it's foolish for someone to say that kerry lag years behind, as someone did say in earlier post. Kerry's display against tyrone, and with a

Sorry, No.

The thing is that was Donegal s most jittery performance I ve seen under McGuinness and still were in an armchair before that last few minutes drama when they dodged a bullet. Kerry are only a shadow of the team of Darragh, Moynihan, Griffin, O Cinnéide and McCarty - the men that used to let Gooch and Donaghy play without burden. Time moves on for every team. That Kerry team were lucky to get out with their reputation still intact today.