Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: emmetryan on May 21, 2012, 03:06:04 PM
Hi guys,

I've put together a tactical analysis piece of this game for anyone interested
http://action81.com/blog/?p=5797

Emmet

A damning bit from the above -

always to hope high balls would be created so as to use their two towers up front. Such a limited style can't be repeated by the Rossies if they are to mount a deep run in the qualifiers. Time is undoubtedly on their side but there are few county teams on the island liable to an approach so lacking in imagination
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

emmetryan

Ah thanks and you also spotted a typo of mine. I've fixed that now.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on May 21, 2012, 12:08:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2012, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 17, 2012, 09:03:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see the level of improvement in Roscommon from the league
That is what it will all hinge on I believe.
If not much then Galway to win and radical overhaul of the Ros team for the First Round qualifier.

There wasnt any improvement and we got bet out the gate after an embarrassing shambolic perfromance.
We played slow oul Division 3 NFL football against a Galway side playing Championship football.
We had no plan A never mind a plan B other than let Galway have the ball while we all ran back and loitered with no purpose around our own 45.
Meanwhile Galway kicked the ball in over the heads of the mass of loiterers and our FBL couldnt cope at all.
As for our attack plan -- God help us why did Donie and Senan spend the day standing on top of each other around the Penalty mark? The few times we did hit a ball in to the corners the 2 lads had to shuffle out slowly to collect it. Could they not have been half way there before it was kicked.?
We never had anyone on the wings in attack so defenders had no one to aim clearances at.
A lot of criticism of Newton on Stolensheep and it was noticeable he was on his own on the sideline in the 2nd half yesterday as the rest of the backroom sat on the bench like as if the were ignoring him.
Management's role in my view is to have the players mentally and physically ready for Championship football.
Our lads didnt look that yesterday.
I can't see a lot of enthusiam in lads for Qualifiers after that and suspect the US could have a large contingent of Ros lads this Summer.
Look, if it's any consolation, I almost feel sorry for ya.  ;D
To be serious, I do know that gutted feeling and I'd say everyone or the board has felt the same way at one time or another. In my case, far too many times to even consider gloating at anyone's misfortune.
I don't know what the scene is inside the county but it's clear the lads felt under serious pressure and they wilted under the strain.
Okay, the team were cat and the manager was no better but there is sweet damn all point in telling them that. They already know.
The thing they all need right now is a bit of time and room to breathe  to try and sort out what went wrong and how best to go about fixing it. If they have the bottle, they will try and redeem themselves in the qualifiers and if they haven't, bollicking them won't help them find it.
Maybe a lot of them are thinking of America for the summer right now but given time their attitude should change. Their next game should tell you a lot about their character and their potential.
I don't agree with those who say they have time on their side. The reality is that they haven't. Mayo and Galway are already well in front of them in the pecking order and both are going to improve further.
Now is the time for their supporters to row in behind them and give them every support because if they crash out of the qualifiers, they will be back to where they were when FOD took over.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 22, 2012, 01:12:35 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 21, 2012, 12:08:50 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2012, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 17, 2012, 09:03:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see the level of improvement in Roscommon from the league
That is what it will all hinge on I believe.
If not much then Galway to win and radical overhaul of the Ros team for the First Round qualifier.

There wasnt any improvement and we got bet out the gate after an embarrassing shambolic perfromance.
We played slow oul Division 3 NFL football against a Galway side playing Championship football.
We had no plan A never mind a plan B other than let Galway have the ball while we all ran back and loitered with no purpose around our own 45.
Meanwhile Galway kicked the ball in over the heads of the mass of loiterers and our FBL couldnt cope at all.
As for our attack plan -- God help us why did Donie and Senan spend the day standing on top of each other around the Penalty mark? The few times we did hit a ball in to the corners the 2 lads had to shuffle out slowly to collect it. Could they not have been half way there before it was kicked.?
We never had anyone on the wings in attack so defenders had no one to aim clearances at.
A lot of criticism of Newton on Stolensheep and it was noticeable he was on his own on the sideline in the 2nd half yesterday as the rest of the backroom sat on the bench like as if the were ignoring him.
Management's role in my view is to have the players mentally and physically ready for Championship football.
Our lads didnt look that yesterday.
I can't see a lot of enthusiam in lads for Qualifiers after that and suspect the US could have a large contingent of Ros lads this Summer.
Look, if it's any consolation, I almost feel sorry for ya.  ;D
To be serious, I do know that gutted feeling and I'd say everyone or the board has felt the same way at one time or another. In my case, far too many times to even consider gloating at anyone's misfortune.
I don't know what the scene is inside the county but it's clear the lads felt under serious pressure and they wilted under the strain.
Okay, the team were cat and the manager was no better but there is sweet damn all point in telling them that. They already know.
The thing they all need right now is a bit of time and room to breathe  to try and sort out what went wrong and how best to go about fixing it. If they have the bottle, they will try and redeem themselves in the qualifiers and if they haven't, bollicking them won't help them find it.
Maybe a lot of them are thinking of America for the summer right now but given time their attitude should change. Their next game should tell you a lot about their character and their potential.
I don't agree with those who say they have time on their side. The reality is that they haven't. Mayo and Galway are already well in front of them in the pecking order and both are going to improve further.
Now is the time for their supporters to row in behind them and give them every support because if they crash out of the qualifiers, they will be back to where they were when FOD took over.
That result yesterday showed they already are back to where they were when FOD took over. Every team in round one of the qualifiers will be hoping to get Roscommon.

seafoid

"That result yesterday showed they already are back to where they were when FOD took over. Every team in round one of the qualifiers will be hoping to get Roscommon"

The whole point of the qualifiers is to give teams a second chance. Ros are better than they were on Sunday.
They could get Waterford. How many qualifier round 1 teams will have all Ireland underage medal winners ?
Ros need to drop the béal bocht.  Progress is all about attitude.