Celebrity Bainisteoir

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, July 05, 2011, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

At least Paul Gogarty won't have to apologise for f**king and blinding all around him in Oughterard.

I thought this was a great yoke the first few years, and I think a lot of the clubs that had good runs in it went on to have decent years as well, which was positive.

But they are scraping the bottom of the barrel this past few years with celebrities and their tenuous links to the counties. Sure Cascarino can't have great ties with Laois for jaysus' sake. As for Dana? What odds from Paddy Power that one of the programmes will feature the footballers down saying the rosary before training/a match?

Hardy

Rav67

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 05, 2011, 03:33:03 PM
I've wondered that myself recently; I presume there's some income from advertising (TV) passed on, and I suppose the clubs sell some local advertising.  But outside that, I have no idea ...

I remember chatting to a fella from Faughanvale (Derry) a few years back after they were on it.  I had assumed they got some sort of revenue from it but he said they didn't get anything for it and it cost them money in the end up as the club spent loads of dough on massive flags, bunting and the like to impress the cameras.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2011, 05:22:01 PM
At least Paul Gogarty won't have to apologise for f**king and blinding all around him in Oughterard.

I thought this was a great yoke the first few years, and I think a lot of the clubs that had good runs in it went on to have decent years as well, which was positive.

But they are scraping the bottom of the barrel this past few years with celebrities and their tenuous links to the counties. Sure Cascarino can't have great ties with Laois for jaysus' sake. As for Dana? What odds from Paddy Power that one of the programmes will feature the footballers down saying the rosary before training/a match?

That's never stopped him before.  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Drummerboy

I know it was a positive experience for Ballymun Kickhams, got the whole community behind the club. Over 9,000 turned up for the final in Parnell Park. Couple of the players now on Dublin minor team and a few more have stepped up to clubs Senior team. So positives all around.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: ross matt on July 05, 2011, 04:10:46 PM
It's a typical load of RTE shite. Look at the candidates for FFS.
Dana? The She-God. PJ Gallagher? The man that laughs at his own jokes cause nobody else will.
And Brenda loudmouth Donogue? Gobshite Gogarty? Niall Quinn's missus? On a summer break from the back page of the Sindo.  Cascarino? He'd definitely be able to advise them on negotiating the parish rule!
This only reinforces the gombeen media portrayal of GAA. You'd think the clubs involved would have more cop on. If they put the same time and effort in to trying to win their own championship for instance.

Well said Matt. Couldn't agree more.

TonesAbú

Dana is over Lissan in Derry, met her first last friday

Jinxy

What sort of training does she have you doing?
All kinds of everything?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2011, 10:14:15 PM
What sort of training does she have you doing?
All kinds of everything?
That reminds me of something, but I don't know what.

Hoof Hearted

Dana is in Lissan, a junior club in Derry, right on the Tyrone border.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Rav67

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 05, 2011, 10:20:27 PM
Dana is in Lissan, a junior club in Derry, right on the Tyrone border.

They are intermediate- I think the clubs that have been involved before have always been intermediate as well.  I would think any club with a decent chance of winning an intermediate championship wouldn't bother with it given the time of year it's on.

AZOffaly

Maryland won the Westmeath championship the same year they won CB I think.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 05, 2011, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 05, 2011, 01:56:39 PM
I know St. Patricks, Dromard of Sligo are in this and will face Aughrim in their quarter final. AFAIK they are only finding out who will manage them on Sunday. Speculation that it could be Tommy Gorman of RTE.

Paul Gogarty should be funny anyway. As for Dana - that's just not right.

I heard it's Áine Chambers.

Oh that would be priceless, I might even watch it now.  :)

Please let that be true.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on July 05, 2011, 03:24:17 PM
Always wondered whats in it for the clubs beside a bit of cheap publicity, I presume there is a financial carrot somewhere?? I can only imagine the slagging some of our lads would get over a pint on a Saturday night if they were on telly getting a team talk from Dana. Hardly good for the dignity ;D

I didn't think the GAA had snobs until now! So fcuk if a team enters it, it's a bitta craic with no harm done. Teams get slagged no matter what and if a club gets publicity over it then what harm. Have only watched it a couple of times but find it amusing and the players all seem to enjoy it but try real hard to win it. Again what harm?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea