Celebrity Bainisteoir

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, July 05, 2011, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

;D from the hogan stand

Celebrity Bainisteoir managers revealed
05 July 2011
Former Irish soccer star Tony Cascarino, ex-Eurovision winner Dana and comedian PJ Gallagher are among those who have signed up to the new series of Celebrity Bainisteoir series.

They will be joined by RTE Radio's Brenda Donoghue, Gillian Quinn - wife of Sunderland FC chairman Niall - and former TD Paul Gogarty. The names of two other celebrities won't be unveiled until the GAA clubs they are managing are told first.

The first match next month will see PJ Gallagher's St. Patrick's from Donabate take on Oughterard from Galway, who are managed by Paul Gogarty. Tony Cascarino, meanwhile, will take charge of Killeshin from Laois.

Gogarty said: "I met my team at the weekend and I got a great reception. I'm from Lucan in Dublin but my granny was from Roundstone in Conamara."

The popular series will return to RTE in September with the final set to be aired in November.

Dinny Breen

Kilcullen are involved managed by Brenda Donoghue
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

Quotetake on Oughterard from Galway, who are managed by Paul Gogarty

My sympathies to the Oughterard lads.

magpie seanie

I know St. Patricks, Dromard of Sligo are in this and will face Aughrim in their quarter final. AFAIK they are only finding out who will manage them on Sunday. Speculation that it could be Tommy Gorman of RTE.

Paul Gogarty should be funny anyway. As for Dana - that's just not right.

Boycey

Always wondered whats in it for the clubs beside a bit of cheap publicity, I presume there is a financial carrot somewhere?? I can only imagine the slagging some of our lads would get over a pint on a Saturday night if they were on telly getting a team talk from Dana. Hardly good for the dignity ;D

Billys Boots

I've wondered that myself recently; I presume there's some income from advertising (TV) passed on, and I suppose the clubs sell some local advertising.  But outside that, I have no idea ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

liihb

I would have thought they would have a good bit of craic too in fairness to them. A lot of the clubs that enter it haven't won anything for a while, so its an opportunity for them to go on a bit of a journey and bring the community together
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 05, 2011, 03:33:03 PM
I've wondered that myself recently; I presume there's some income from advertising (TV) passed on, and I suppose the clubs sell some local advertising.  But outside that, I have no idea ...
Lads, with comments like that I wonder whether you're involved in a club at all.  Sure isn't it all one giant pissing contest, as long as your club has done something that the other shower of fcukers down the road haven't, isn't that all that matters!!  It doesn't matter what it is or how spurious, as long as ye can boast about it and stick the pictures up on the clubhouse walls (assuming you have one by now).  I'd say it'd be great craic for all the clubs and players involved.

ross matt

It's a typical load of RTE shite. Look at the candidates for FFS.
Dana? The She-God. PJ Gallagher? The man that laughs at his own jokes cause nobody else will.
And Brenda loudmouth Donogue? Gobshite Gogarty? Niall Quinn's missus? On a summer break from the back page of the Sindo.  Cascarino? He'd definitely be able to advise them on negotiating the parish rule!
This only reinforces the gombeen media portrayal of GAA. You'd think the clubs involved would have more cop on. If they put the same time and effort in to trying to win their own championship for instance.

Shamrock Shore

I woulda thought Cascarino would be managing Roma Gaels or Naomh Napoli.

Aren't you supposed to have some connection to the county of the club? What's his Laois connection? In fact, what's his Irish connection?

Boycey

Quote from: Bogball XV on July 05, 2011, 04:06:33 PM
Lads, with comments like that I wonder whether you're involved in a club at all.  Sure isn't it all one giant pissing contest, as long as your club has done something that the other shower of fcukers down the road haven't, isn't that all that matters!!  It doesn't matter what it is or how spurious, as long as ye can boast about it and stick the pictures up on the clubhouse walls (assuming you have one by now).  I'd say it'd be great craic for all the clubs and players involved.

Something to boast about  :D, thats exactly the point I'm making, its not something to boast about is it?? Its a competition designed to make the "celebs" look good not the poor eejits that are playing. Its something that others will use as a stick to beat you for years to come "sure the only thing ye ever won was Celebrity Bainisteor, ho ho".

It'd sit on the committee in the club and we'd be fairly proactive in fundraising and the like and if someone came in with the idea of doing that all I can say is it'd take some selling to us. Only possible benefit I can see is possbly bring new people into the club but whether they'd stay when the cameras would be gone would remain to be seen :)

Billys Boots

Quote from: Boycey on July 05, 2011, 04:21:22 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 05, 2011, 04:06:33 PM

Something to boast about  :D, thats exactly the point I'm making, its not something to boast about is it?? Its a competition designed to make the "celebs" look good not the poor eejits that are playing. Its something that others will use as a stick to beat you for years to come "sure the only thing ye ever won was Celebrity Bainisteor, ho ho".

It'd sit on the committee in the club and we'd be fairly proactive in fundraising and the like and if someone came in with the idea of doing that all I can say is it'd take some selling to us. Only possible benefit I can see is possbly bring new people into the club but whether they'd stay when the cameras would be gone would remain to be seen :)

Or worse, ye couldn't even win Celebrity Bainisteoir.  I prefer to have my pissing contests in the relative privacy of the local.  Or I wonder am I missing some of the infamous Nordie sarcasm/wit?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

liihb

I've watched it, and I don't think any of the clubs have come out of it badly to be honest
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 05, 2011, 01:56:39 PM
I know St. Patricks, Dromard of Sligo are in this and will face Aughrim in their quarter final. AFAIK they are only finding out who will manage them on Sunday. Speculation that it could be Tommy Gorman of RTE.

I heard it's Áine Chambers.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on July 05, 2011, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 05, 2011, 01:56:39 PM

I heard it's Áine Chambers.

Please let that be true.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...