Mistakes that cost games:

Started by oneillcup2007, November 15, 2006, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: mayo51 on November 16, 2006, 03:10:59 PMyeah bad meomries of that game. mcananey was going to send off john mcdermott along with mchale but when he conferred with his umpires one of them said that colm coyle had to go as he was after striking 3 mayoplayers so mcanany changed his mind.it brought a smile to my face to see boylan condemming aussie thuggery last week when some of the actions of his own players were much worse back then.
Arrah for jaysus sake who started the fight that day? You can't have it both ways - start the thing and then complain when you lose it that it's the other team's fault. If your forwards had kept their fists under control when Darren Fay was coming out with the ball there would have been no fight, no McHale sending off and, of course, Mayo would have won, as the Lord intended. Just as he intended in 89, 97, 04, 06. There's always someone else to blame.

lawnseed 2

yep justin mc nultys blocked kick springs to mind although he redeemed himself when he rose high in the dying minutes of the 2002 aif and caught a long probing pass on route to a kerry forward. somebody should pass this information on to joe brolly who keeps blaming enda mc nulty. kernans substitution of geezer is unforgiveable against tyrone he gifted them an all-ireland :'(

SandyHill

kernans substitution of geezer is unforgiveable against tyrone

One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen! Did anyone ever hear of the real reason why Joe did it?

belleaqua

just a neutral view on the mcgeeney substitution - Sean Cavanagh was running through that defence all day like he was up against an u12 team. one of the main jobs of a centre back is at all times to hold the middle and stop the defence being split open.

I know he's a legend but he was actually goin bad that day.

In fairness ya cant lay all the blame at mcgeeneys door i know, moving him would have been the best option cos i reckon it was a huge lift for tyrone to see a man of his quality go off and a terrible psychological blow to the armagh lads at a crucial time.

He's bounced back well though, loved the way he pinned the Aussie in Croker like they always do to our lads!! tough hoor!

Uladh

the only time cavanagh got down the middle was after mcgeeney went off and ak (?) was playing 6.

like everything he posts about armagh, 5times' recall is confusing facts with what he wishes happened

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on November 16, 2006, 06:57:21 PM
I must be confused. I though Tyrone won that day and went on to win their second All-Ireland title. Maybe you saw it differently.

Yes, and is that supposed to be some sort of verification of the dream you were questioned about from your previous post?

Sean Cavanagh went passed Geezer that day late on in the game around the middle of the field. The look on both their faces told the story. Geezer knew he was finished, his legs had gone.

still, no he didn't...

Uladh

And i've just told you it's nonsense. this new fangled video thing is a great yoke.

full back

Quote from: lawnseed 2 on November 16, 2006, 05:52:46 PM
yep justin mc nultys blocked kick springs to mind although he redeemed himself when he rose high in the dying minutes of the 2002 aif and caught a long probing pass on route to a kerry forward. somebody should pass this information on to joe brolly who keeps blaming enda mc nulty. kernans substitution of geezer is unforgiveable against tyrone he gifted them an all-ireland :'(

Was it not Enda that stopped the long ball which was on its way to Gooch late in the AIF?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Hardy on November 16, 2006, 02:00:35 PM
Isn' it funny how mistakes in the first 65 minutes that lead to scores never seem to cost games. Still those scores are there on the scoreboard too, along with the 'real' scores from the last five minutes.

Spot on Hardy - last years Armagh v Tyrone semi-final is getting mentioned quite a lot here. Armagh players and management were guilty of some bad mistakes that led to Tyrone's last two points.

Yet I know a fella that knows Stevie, and he told me Stevie was haunted by a straightforward chance that he blazed wide, from in front of the nets (going for a point), midway through the second half. Stevie cut in froim the left, on to his right foot, and a simple tap over was there for the taking! I remember it well!   :-[

By the way - just to point out - I'm not blaming Stevie - just highlighting the fact that the final score is an accumulation of many mistakes over seventy minutes!  ;) 

passedit

rufus you might want to add that Stevie had the batin of Kerry in the first half this year. Had he accepted the chances on offer, there was no way back for Kerry.

Still with the 65 min theory, there's always time to recover from a howler early in the game if you're good enough,thats why mistakes in the last five are more likely to 'cost' games.

for consequences and avoidability it is hard to go past the Mayo keeper letting the ball hop in 96, sure they still haven't got over it
Don't Panic

believebelive

That sort of lazy analysis annoys the hell out of me. Its like when somebody says that games are only won in the last ten minutes. What shite, some games are won in the first 15 minutes if you go far ahead.
It always makes me laugh that a forward who does not touch leather for 40 minutes and is hauled off escapes any blame where a player who has won plenty of ball and scored a point or two but misses one in the last minute can be vilified

J70

Refereeing mistake:

2003 All Ireland semi final - the referee's inexplicable failure to send off John McEntee for his forearm smash on Barry Monaghan with less than ten minutes to go, the game on a knife edge and the ref standing a couple of feet away. McEntee contributed to Armagh's two injury-time scores that won the game. In the same match, Ray Sweeney was sent off early in the second half, while Kieran McGeeney stayed on despite persistant fouling.

illdecide

Clann na Geal v Cross this years county final; Bumpy does it again, he gets booked for slabbering and then another yella for trying to stop a 3rd man tackle. Now i'm not saying we would have beat Cross with Bumpy on the field but we def would have run them to the wire! :'(
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

full back

'Run them to the wire' I doubt it very much.Cross would have won no doubt even if Bumpy had stayed on

muppet

QuoteIf your forwards had kept their fists under control when Darren Fay was coming out with the ball there would have been no fight, no McHale sending off and, of course, Mayo would have won, as the Lord intended. Just as he intended in 89, 97, 04, 06. There's always someone else to blame

I don't see a single post blaming anyone for 89,97,04 or 06. As for your initial argument it's about as intelligent as saying if they had stayed in bed that day it wouldn't have happened. Terrible how Meath are always are always
MWWSI 2017