Mistakes that cost games:

Started by oneillcup2007, November 15, 2006, 05:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfun

QuoteSending off McHale and Coyle on that infamous day back in 96. What did McHale actually do?

I see Pat McEneany was on Season Ticket last night and they showed a clip of this incident. I was in the pub at the time and didn't hear what he had to say about it.
Anyone, anyone?

Donagh

Marsden being sent off in the 03 football final.

Erne Man1

June 1997 - Cavan v Fermanagh in the 1st round.
Two mistakes in this game:
1st minute of injury time Fermanagh a point up. McBarron on the 21 with Raymie Gallagher inside him. Raymie had scored 1-7 at this stage so Liam decides to have a shot himself. Hits the post and back into play.
2nd mistake is ever giving that p***k Jim Curran a whistle. He decides to add on 6minutes of injury time to allow Cavan an equaliser.
Match finishes level, Cavan win the replay and go on to win a very handy Ulster title.

magpie seanie

Donagh - I agree entirely. it was a big mistake by Marsden to get himself sent off.

As for Sligo - this year O'Hara being sent off v. Westmeath + giving Westmeath a point for a ball 5 foot wide cost us the game.

The referee's timekeeping in the '97 Connacht Final cost us at least a replay in my view.

Spiritof98

Quote from: Cuchullainns Bhoy on November 15, 2006, 10:09:01 PM
Mc Entee i think ???, John. Piss on it if im wrong but if i can think back it was worked out through Enda Mc Nulty to Andrew Mc Cann and then to Mc Entee, although in 2001 i was 13.

Cuhullianns bhoy, it was actually Justin McNulty, I still remember it, we were 7 points down and clawed our way back to level, all over them and McNulty tries to fist a ball over Clancy's head and he intercepted and dispensed over the bar. Come to think of it was his brother at this carry on against Kerry.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Over the Bar

McEntee passing the ball to Dooher with a couple of minutes to go in the 2005 AI semi-final. 
God made him pay dearly for that mistake! :)

Hardy

Isn' it funny how mistakes in the first 65 minutes that lead to scores never seem to cost games. Still those scores are there on the scoreboard too, along with the 'real' scores from the last five minutes.

AbbeySider

QuoteSending off McHale and Coyle on that infamous day back in 96. What did McHale actually do?

I nearly broke down after reading the above line.
It all came flooding back...

I remember watching a documentary about Pat McAnaney's referring career after '96. It showed the video of the famous fight when McHale was sent off. McAnaney's argument was that McHale ran from midfield to join in the fight so he conferred with his umpires and sidline and chose McHale in the spur of the moment; just because he ran from midfield.

But I remember watching the game from the lower tier of the Cusack stand. The only player in his own half was John Madden, which meant that all the Meath backs had ran the whole length of the field to join in.... and McHale was fairly close to the fracas and was one of the last to join in.

But of course McAnaney had to pick our most influential player to send off.

As long as I live ill never forgive him. It cost us the All-Ireland

easytiger

Good point Hardy - I'm thinking of Jason Sherlock missing a sitter in the opening minutes of the 2001 Leinster Final, followed swiftly by Davey Byrne losing a high ball in the sun for Meath's goal - end result, Dublin wind up chasing a goal in the second half and instead of taking their points, end up losing by three.

Rossi

Downredandblack, you right about the diving,didn't we peter do it to perfection that day in the square and the ref bought it.The subsequent penatly was duly dispatched and Tyrone's fightback had truly begun.

Mark Ward (Meath) letting the ball slip through his hands in the last minute of the Div 2 2005 final, giving Monaghan the goal they needed to win.

mayo51

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 16, 2006, 02:14:29 PM
QuoteSending off McHale and Coyle on that infamous day back in 96. What did McHale actually do?                                                                                                                                                                                                                  yeah bad meomries of that game. mcananey was going to send off john mcdermott along with mchale but when he conferred with his umpires one of them said that colm coyle had to go as he was after striking 3 mayoplayers so mcanany changed his mind.it brought a smile to my face to see boylan condemming aussie thuggery last week when some of the actions of his own players were much worse back then.

Uladh

Quote from: Spiritof98 on November 16, 2006, 12:13:01 PM
Quote from: Cuchullainns Bhoy on November 15, 2006, 10:09:01 PM
Mc Entee i think ???, John. Piss on it if im wrong but if i can think back it was worked out through Enda Mc Nulty to Andrew Mc Cann and then to Mc Entee, although in 2001 i was 13.

Cuhullianns bhoy, it was actually Justin McNulty, I still remember it, we were 7 points down and clawed our way back to level, all over them and McNulty tries to fist a ball over Clancy's head and he intercepted and dispensed over the bar. Come to think of it was his brother at this carry on against Kerry.

twas a kick blocked down by donnellen just as he crossed the 50. donnellen recovered the ball, as with all good blocks, drove down the right, cut inside to feed clancy, who put armagh to the sword.

blanketattack

Penalty misses that have cost team's games???
Charlie Redmond
Trevor Giles
Jack O'Shea
Cork's 2 penalty misses v Kerry in '92

Uladh

hows she cutting

Arthur starting his son for his championship debut.

Cathal O'Rourke in the starting 15

Plunkett Donaghy dropping ball against Derry in National League Final

Mickey Moran not watching videos of any of Kerrys games in the run up to AIF

Mc Hale getting sent off in 96 AIF (why was he picked out)