Mayo v Galway NFL Division 1. 7/2/2010

Started by Farrandeelin, January 31, 2010, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Might as well start this thread. It will be my only thread starter for a while so I may as well start off with a bang.

Galway have been racking up huge scores in their FBD campaign. Mayo haven't,so form suggests Galway. However it is in Castlebar and Mayo won't want to lose the game there.

My own feeling is that Mayo will struggle in this game and Galway to win easily.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 31, 2010, 05:08:55 PM
Might as well start this thread. It will be my only thread starter for a while so I may as well start off with a bang.

Galway have been racking up huge scores in their FBD campaign. Mayo haven't,so form suggests Galway. However it is in Castlebar and Mayo won't want to lose the game there.

My own feeling is that Mayo will struggle in this game and Galway to win easily.
Would ye want to lose it in Galway? FBD form will be irrelevant. But way to try and make Galway favourites. ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

I'm just saying it as I see it Sligonian. I honestly think Galway could be a surprise package this year in the championship as well. Along with Down in Ulster.

SLIGONIAN

mayo and galway games are never won easily. Why so negative?

Cosmo Kramer

Sounds like Galway are a bit further along with their training...

Mayo would really need to be winning this in terms of the league because we have a tough fixture program this year and only have two other home games.

But I don't see us having a good league campaign this year and Kernan will want to lay down an early marker as Galway manager, so I reluctuntly have to go for a Galway win.  :(

Hopefully I'll be more upbeat by the time the Connacht Championship comes around.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on January 31, 2010, 05:34:25 PM
Sounds like Galway are a bit further along with their training...

Mayo would really need to be winning this in terms of the league because we have a tough fixture program this year and only have two other home games.

But I don't see us having a good league campaign this year and Kernan will want to lay down an early marker as Galway manager, so I reluctuntly have to go for a Galway win.  :(

Hopefully I'll be more upbeat by the time the Connacht Championship comes around.
But sure ye dont have a hope in that, if I was ye I wouldnt bother turning up like us in 2008 ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 31, 2010, 05:19:14 PM
I'm just saying it as I see it Sligonian. I honestly think Galway could be a surprise package this year in the championship as well. Along with Down in Ulster.

I'll believe it when I see it. Not that we don't have the potential but who knows how the whole Joe Kernan thing will go. I've heard they have been training like savages but you just don't know until you see them in action a few times. FBD doesn't count for much really and even league football can be deceiving.

Barney

While I think Mayo will be toe-for-toe with Galway if they meet later in the Championship I see this as quite a comfortable win for Galway.

Worrying factor for me is that there has been nothing new tried at corner-back in the FBD - Liam O'Malley and Donal Vaughan at best are not corner-backs, and from another point of view are not good enough to play at this level. Keith Higgins isn't a corner-back either. A Galway forward line in form will expose these difficulties.

We're also short of Kilcoyne, Mortimer and Dillon up front, relying on Ronaldson for scores against a top class intercounty team is too much and we are probabaly going to struggle in this area early in the season. Stereotypically our forward line is always sub-par but at the moment it is our best area of the field.

Add in new manager bounce and post-season training  ;) ; and a fair bit of motivation after our two defeats of them last year and it all adds up to it being the turn of the Tribesmen and a 5/6 point win.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Barney on February 01, 2010, 08:15:33 AM
Add in new manager bounce and post-season training  ;) ; and a fair bit of motivation after our two defeats of them last year and it all adds up to it being the turn of the Tribesmen and a 5/6 point win.
There was no "collective" post season training Barney  ;)  That is currently banned by GAA HQ  :P

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 01, 2010, 09:17:03 AM
Quote from: Barney on February 01, 2010, 08:15:33 AM
There was no "collective" post season training Barney  ;)  That is currently banned by GAA HQ  :P

Cute-hoorism not limited purely to the Kingdom so?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

southsidejohnny

Thats what four years of having a manager like O Mahony does to the supporters. Remember his aim , "To dampen the expectations of the Mayo supporters". Reading the first post it would appear that Johnno has succeded beyond his own dismal expectations.

Farrandeelin

To be honest johnny, I have no hope in him delivering the ultimate prize. I don't think he will repeat the Connacht victory he just about won at the end last year either. Then again, maybe it is his plan, to suck all hope from us and then pull off a masterstroke...

(I wish!!!)

heineken_on_tap

Seems like a make or break year for Johnno so. I still rate him highly as a manager, maybe the players need to stand up this year and take a more responsibility for their own performances

muppet

Mayo will not only beat Galway but they will win Sam this year.

The AIF will end with Donal Vaughan scoring a last minute goal after a 100 yard solo run.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2010, 05:54:22 PM
Mayo will not only beat Galway but they will win Sam this year.

The AIF will end with Donal Vaughan scoring a last minute goal after a 100 yard solo run.

Nah, it will be Liam O'Malley.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year