joe kernan's 1st test vs New York 11/10/09

Started by 3000 miles away, October 07, 2009, 03:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3000 miles away

This will be joe's first test with Galway as they take on the exiles, is there many from galway going?what sort of panel is available to kernan?

Farrandeelin

You could/should have 'test' in inverted commas like I have. I mean it's not worth anything this game apart from costing the Galway co board €30,000. I doubt Mayo will take FBD too seriously in the near future!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

fitzroyalty

Quote from: T Fearon on October 07, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
Well it beats managing an Armagh team in the Mc Kenna Cup on a feezing cold day in January in Lurgan against Queens or St Marys ;D
Only just,Tony. One of the few remaining perks associated with the armagh hot seat  :P

Duine Eile

I hear he's allowed to appoint his own captain as well after a decision taken at a meeting last week.

ExiledGael

I'd say some of the Corofin and Mountbellew/Moylough players weren't all that happy to see Joe Bergin equalise at the death in the county final last week. Rules quite a few out of this 'test'.

Apple Crumble

Quote from: ExiledGael on October 07, 2009, 09:23:19 PM
I'd say some of the Corofin and Mountbellew/Moylough players weren't all that happy to see Joe Bergin equalise at the death in the county final last week. Rules quite a few out of this 'test'.

New Yorks sh*te anyways.

Family guy

Johnny murtagh is looking forward to facing joe as the 2 of them is from srossmaglen and joe wouldnt give him a minutes national league football when on the armagh panel,so yes he hates big joe and out to prove a point

macdanger2

apparently Joe's first big test with Galway will be under lights in McHale Park at the start of Feb....

3000 miles away

i think new york might take this one,alot of the summer sanctions have made themselves available for this, some shock to big joe if there beat by a crowd of exiles. should be a good game!

Carmen Stateside

Any odds around for this game?
Fancy New Yok to run them close in this one maybe even beat them!

ardal

Brings up a wee bit of a point. How would you feel if, down the line, County New York or county Europe, won Sam . The teams are obviously a mix of players, sons, relatives etc of various Irish counties (originally) plus the locals who simply take to it.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ardal on October 11, 2009, 09:13:40 AM
Brings up a wee bit of a point. How would you feel if, down the line, County New York or county Europe, won Sam . The teams are obviously a mix of players, sons, relatives etc of various Irish counties (originally) plus the locals who simply take to it.

So long as it wasn't Mayo they beat in a final I'd have no problem.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 11, 2009, 08:23:30 PM
Quote from: ardal on October 11, 2009, 09:13:40 AM

So long as it wasn't Mayo they beat in a final I'd have no problem.

Sure who else would anyone bate in a Final  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

New York 0-4 Galway 1-18

Six unanswered points inside the opening ten minutes paved the way for a comfortable first win for Galway's new senior football management, headed by former Armagh All-Ireland winning boss Joe Kernan.

Kernan watched the Tribesmen ease to an expected victory in tonight's Connacht FBD League final in the Bronx.

Despite kicking six wides in the opening half, Galway were fitter than their New York counterparts who wasted five scoring chances themselves in the opening 30 minutes.

Full-forward John Murtagh missed two frees before putting New York on the scoreboard after 15 minutes.

Murtagh, a former member of the Armagh senior side, was the only flicker of light in a New York side lacking creativity and scoring ability.

By the end of the opening period, Galway had run into a ten-point lead which they were never in danger of surrendering, despite the wides they continued to kick in the second half.

A Sean Armstrong effort ricocheted off the inside of the post and wide keeping the score down.

Galway tried to force a goal opportunity but were unable to build on their impressive lead until Mullahy intercepted the ball in defence and began a move which ended with Eoin Concannon sliding the ball past New York goalkeeper Evan Byrne.

The final scoreline of 1-18 to 0-4 showed the gulf in class. it will no doubt be a boost to Kernan ahead of the 2010 National League campaign and with Michael Meehan and Padraig Joyce to return to the forward line, there should be a bit more bite about Galway.

Nicky Joyce scored well while Anthony Griffin combined effectively with Barry Cullinane in midfield in his first game. The Naomh Anna Leitir Moir player did not look out of place alongside his more experienced colleagues.

NEW YORK: Evan Byrne; Dennis McCarthy, Alan Carolan (Joe Bell), Patsy Martin (Brendan McGourty); Gary Cornyn (Johnny Goldrick), Alan Raftery, Brendan O'Reilly (Aidan Power); Gary Reilly, Sean O'Neill (Michael Sloan); Mike Higgins (Kevin McGeeney), Robbie Moran, Gary Dowd; John Murtagh, Packie Downey (Shane Carty), Ronan Caffrey (Mark Dobbin).

GALWAY: Adrian Faherty (Paul Doherty); David Reilly, Finian Hanley, David Finnegan (Tomas Fahy); Declan Meehan, Diarmuid Blake, Darren Mullahy; Barry Cullinane (Gary O'Domhnaill), Anthony Griffin (Colin Healy); Cormac Bane (Joe Joe Greaney), Sean Armstrong, Niall Coleman; Eoin Concannon (Danny Cummins), Nicky Joyce, Fiachra Breathnach.