Fastest GAA Player Over 100 Metres

Started by Bud Wiser, July 20, 2009, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes I Would

Quote from: longball on July 20, 2009, 01:00:02 PM
Stephen Kelly

Agreed. Ive yet to see faster with or without the ball. Think he signed up for one of the rugby sides in recent years.

GalwayBayBoy

Not sure what he'd be like in a straight sprint but Michael Donnellan was the fastest player I've ever seen running with the ball. Even having to solo and hop the ball he would literally run away from players who were sprinting full pelt after him.

tyroneboi

Tomas McCann from Antrim is no slouch. Think he was one of the fastest in the Aussie Rules trials.

RedandGreenSniper

Darren O'Sullivan is the fastest GAA player I've seen but its one thing being quick over 10 or 20 yards but quite another over 100 metres. A lot of GAA players wouldn't have the stamina for sprinting flat out for 100 metres.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on July 20, 2009, 03:42:16 PM
Quote from: thebandit on July 20, 2009, 03:25:43 PM
Quote from: boojangles on July 20, 2009, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: cavan4sam on July 20, 2009, 10:41:27 AM
Cian Mackey
Second that

Is it him or Martin Reilly who played soccer in England?

Martin Reilly played in England.  Think Mackey played for some of the teams in the IFA league and then Monaghan Utd.

Larry! Well over 20 meters, he gets tired after that.

moysider

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 20, 2009, 08:45:06 PM
Would you all agree that GAA players especially hurler are faster than Soccer players? Also, has any one here any experience of both soccer and Hurling/Gaelic?
No. A study a couple of years back put soccer players as fitter, faster and less body fat than gaa players. Hardly surprising when one is professional and one is amateur but I'd guess the gap is closing.

INDIANA

Its  a pity some of the players mentioned can't kick the ball better. All well and good being able to do the 100 in 11 seconds - not much use to you if you haven'tr the ball skills. Which a lot of IC players haven't.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2009, 09:33:39 PM

James Nallen.

I would think Peadar Gardiner is the quickest on the Mayo squad although I was impressed with Cafferkey yesterday twice catching Micheal Meehan after giving him a 5 yard start.
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

Remember some premiership study that brought that fastest players of the league together and made them sprint against another with the ball and without.

Suprised this has never been done with GAA players before - Would certainly be interesting.

muppet

Quote from: DennistheMenace on July 20, 2009, 10:19:12 PM
Remember some premiership study that brought that fastest players of the league together and made them sprint against another with the ball and without.

Suprised this has never been done with GAA players before - Would certainly be interesting.

Start with Donal Óg.

Time each of:

1. 100m with the sliotar on a hurley
2. 100m without stick or ball
3. 100m with a five euro note at the finish line.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on July 20, 2009, 10:23:41 PM
Start with Donal Óg.

Time each of:

:D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on July 20, 2009, 10:23:41 PM

Start with Donal Óg.

Time each of:

He wouldn't get out of bed for less than €200.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on July 20, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2009, 09:33:39 PM

James Nallen.

I would think Peadar Gardiner is the quickest on the Mayo squad although I was impressed with Cafferkey yesterday twice catching Micheal Meehan after giving him a 5 yard start.

Cafferkey was very fast the last day. Catching Meehan like that was unreal.

I heard once that Aidan Kilcoyne has an All-Ireland medal for sprinting 100m.

thewobbler

We shouldn't confuse acceleration and short-burst speed with the power and longevity required for 100m lung-bursters.

When ITV did something like this for top-flight footballers in the 1990s, Keith Curle took the honours. By all accounts Richard Dunne is unbeatable over longer sprints. Anthony Gardner is a cumbersome lump, but still ran 11.2 for the 100 as a 16 year old.

There aren't many top-class 100m sprinters under 6 foot tall and 13 stone. Which is why I'd put forward Cavanagh again.

I'd harbour a guess that in Down football, although Danny Hughes would leave smoke behind over 50m, Pete Fitzpatrick and Ambrose Rogers would lead the way for  in the longer charge.