Motion could scupper colleges

Started by tayto, January 19, 2007, 02:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Good on Vincents, they've suffered more then most at the hands of UCD.

fromthe hoganstand [which they probably lifted from somewhere else without giving any credit]
Motion could scupper colleges
18 January 2007

The February Dublin County Board meeting could decide whether reigning champions UCD and other colleges will be admitted to the Dublin SFC.

A motion from the St. Vincent's club proposes that all third level colleges be excluded from taking part in club competitions.

Gabriel_Hurl

We didn't do anything boss, I swear

magpie seanie

neilthemac

that will stop me playing football for St Pats in the dublin senior championship so

Its a pity, cause we only ever get the one game every year (just before or during exams usually), and its nice to say you played senior football! Parnells beat us by treble scores last year, but we still enjoyed representing the college.

Erin's Hope have 3 senior county titles and now we're been thrown out because of UCD

I'll ask Vincents - who will refereee all the Cumann na mBunscol games in Dublin if the students from St Pats don't do it?? Who will organise all the Cuman na mBunscol events? cause that is the contribution we make to the GAA in Dublin... As well as many of the students helping out underage teams in various clubs around Dublin...

tayto

You seem to be taking this a bit personally, are you saying students will no longer be interested in helping out clubs if the colleges arent allowed play? 

neilthemac

no, just saying that Vincents have to realise there are other colleges than UCD in the dublin championships

we're just not all superpowers like that shower out in Belfield.

we're entitled to a chance to play

Captain Scarlet

yeah but unfortunately mac they have to have a blanket rule so the likes of pats and trinity who are not powers suffer.

im sure you see the point.

in kildare they had nui maynooth in the u-21s for a while but how could a rural parish like mine compete with a team full of county minors and 21s. it was a joke. alan brigan and alan dillon on the go!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Josey Whales

you have no right- you're not  aclub and how would you feel if colleges polluted your county championship back home?- do us  all a favour and give it  arest - what makes you think you're entitled to play in 2 championships  a year and everybody else one? Coleges are a pox on the Dublin senior football and hurling championships and the sooner they feck off and play in the college competitions that were set up for them the better for everyone concerned.

shitzroy

about time is right and cork should do the same, stupid ahve universities playing in county championships.

neilthemac

i have never played senior championship until i got the chance vs Parnells last year. Remember there is a very small male student population in Pats and for us to field teams is an achievement in itself

and we're always knocked out in the first round!!

a rule stops Sigerson Cup colleges entering would be better - would allow Trinity, St Pats, Marino, Law College, Mater Dei etc to enter teams in the Dublin championship - they are all Trench Cup and below teams

Erin's Hope is the name of the club St Pats play under, not the college name btw

realredhandfan

I think they shouldnt be allowed to play at county level as well.  It causes a transfer problem.  Who doy you choose to play for your club or your college or your county or your college.  In Leinster a fella playing for UCD and Rhone? chose to play for Rhone when they met in the club chances and got feted, Up here in Ulster 4 fellas chose to play for their county ahead of their college and they were burning effigies of MickeyHarte in Belfast and Armagh.

turk

I think the colleges should be allowed play in the club championships. At the end of the day they are clubs.
What about garda, army etc - they are clubs too.

what i do think is a joke is lads playing with their clubs at home also - that's the loophole that needs to be cut down on, and not the abolition of the colleges from the club championships.

realredhandfan

id agree with that but then again does the player have the final choice, which is not the case in Ulster.  Also what othre club player has a choice on which club he playes for, just because you are studying dentistry dosent mean you should have more rights in the GAA than a labourer.  Your clubs yous club your county is your county and your school is your school.

muppet

There are club championships and there are 3rd level Championships. It makes no sense to mix them.

On one hand we have people giving out about burn-out, Compromise Rules affecting club fixtures, the back door affecting Club Championships and on the other hand you have the best young players having to play in 2 club championships and the added fixtures involved from having the colleges playing as clubs..

The 'it's up to the player' argument is a non-runner also as we all know some of the types involved will bully the young lads into 'playing with your schoolmates/clubmates' .

Neilthemac if you want to play in the Dublin Championship join a Dublin club.

Quotea rule stops Sigerson Cup colleges entering would be better - would allow Trinity, St Pats, Marino, Law College, Mater Dei etc to enter teams in the Dublin championship - they are all Trench Cup and below teams

This makes even less sense. Only allow in the cannon fodder. Neil how about allowing the clubs into the Sigerson or Trench Cups?
MWWSI 2017